Controversial gaming opinions

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

Postby Raithos » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:31 am

I had planned to stay completely out of this thread once it started. But now I just can't help myself after reading these... lol

1. Says iOS was the best gaming system last year.. ha... hahaha (to save space, I cut my laugh short)
2. Says Shenmue isn't deep...huh? You have got to be trolling.
3. Says the JRPG genre is all but dead... No its far from dead. They just aren't carbon copies of what you played 15+ years ago. Gaming has progressed significantly, but there are tons of traditional RPGs out there to play. You don't have to look very far to find them either.
4. And for some reason thinks there needs to be another Chrono game.... wut

Himuro wrote:Saying that iOS lacks creativity is...well, ignorant

But wait I thought...

Himuro wrote: Gaming, as it is, is creatively dead.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:10 am

Ah yes, the ultimate reason I hate games now: gamers. Post my thoughts in a thread for controversial opinions and people say I don't have a brain and insult me when I have been pretty fair headed in and respectful. Because gamers are petty people, as seen by the whole Gamer Gate fiasco, who latch onto pieces of plastic. \:D/

Shenmue ISN'T deep gameplay-wise. It's your standard adventure game with more streamlined and natural puzzles with a combat system that while fun, isn't terribly deep and can be button mashed. The core of Shenmue's gameplay isn't particilarly deep. It's really simple, actually, and the game runs with it due to this simplicity as it revels in the mundane.

And the jrpg genre is pretty dead ignoring animu titles. Creative games aren't made anymore. Everyone in the genre right now is running on fumes. We got a mediocre Final Fantasy trilogy last gen, DQXI isn't remotely in sight, Bravely Default was highly mediocre, Tales hasn't been good since Vesperia, SMT gets the occasional entry now whereas Persona 5 has taken an entire generation to be made, Final a Fantasy XV has been in limbo since 2006, Suikoden is dead, Breath of Fire got a crappy revival. Tri-Ace is in limbo. Cavia croaked. MIstwalker can't afford to make an actual rpg anymore. Creative titles like The World Ends With You are a thing of the past. The only thing keep the genre going right now is the hope that FFXV is good, Monster Hunter - and that's if you consider it a jrpg, which I do, the hope that Persona 5 isn't more animu waifu shit, Ys is kicking ass as usual, and little else. Unless you're down for some uguu, and you're a jrpg fan, you're kinda fucked.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Chaos » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:20 am

Axm wrote:Resident Evil tank controls are great..

The tank controls work perfectly for the resident evil games. Never understood the whining about it. (Aside from maybe RE1, where you couldn't quick turn)

Chaos has received 2 thanks from: Axm, OL
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Raithos » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:29 am

Himuro wrote:
Gamers are completely satisfied with playing the same stuff over and over again. Better yet, gamers suck and games suck. Being a gamer is depressing and breaks your heart.

Himuro wrote:Ah yes, the ultimate reason I hate games now: gamers. Post my thoughts in a thread for controversial opinions and people say I don't have a brain and insult me when I have been pretty fair headed in and respectful. Because gamers are petty people, as seen by the whole Gamer Gate fiasco, who latch onto pieces of plastic. \:D/

You hate games because of gamers? Do you know how dumb that sounds? You can't enjoy sitting on your couch relaxing on a Sunday playing (insert game here) because of someone on the internet? And actually no, you lumped everyone together at once and said we suck. Then proceeded to call us petty because of a vocal minority that is Gamer Gate. Making generalizations that include everyone on this board is not respectful at all. Of course someone is going to say something.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 am

Raithos wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Gamers are completely satisfied with playing the same stuff over and over again. Better yet, gamers suck and games suck. Being a gamer is depressing and breaks your heart.

Himuro wrote:Ah yes, the ultimate reason I hate games now: gamers. Post my thoughts in a thread for controversial opinions and people say I don't have a brain and insult me when I have been pretty fair headed in and respectful. Because gamers are petty people, as seen by the whole Gamer Gate fiasco, who latch onto pieces of plastic. \:D/

You hate games because of gamers? Do you know how dumb that sounds? You can't enjoy sitting on your couch relaxing on a Sunday playing (insert game here) because of someone on the internet? And actually no, you lumped everyone together at once and said we suck. Then proceeded to call us petty because of a vocal minority that is Gamer Gate. Making generalizations that include everyone on this board is not respectful at all. Of course someone is going to say something.

I laid down my opinion and was taunted for it. Sure, it's different. But it's just as valid as anyone else's. I've tried over and over to talk about games I like with so many gamers and have been met with scorn, laughs, and complete disrespect. You say that gamers being petty is a small thing, but you liked the post where the guy says I don't have a brain, thus proving me right. Unfortunately, gaming is a very social thing. In today's day and age, being a solitary gamer is almost impossible, and every time I talk about games now I am reminded that I am no longer a part of the club, as you can see by this thread. So yes, gamers themselves are a huge proponent for me not liking games anymore. It's certainly not the ONLY bullet point, but it's definitely a factor. Gamers always have to be tribal and separate crap to defend their plastic toys. Gamers, time and again, have proven they are giant pieces of shit, and it's not a culture or hobby that seems to even accept different modes of thought or inclusivity.

If you want to prove me wrong, you should have started this entire discussion in a respectful manner rather than laughing at my opinion at the outset.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Chaos » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:40 am

Himuro wrote: Better yet, gamers suck and games suck.

Himuro wrote:you should have started this entire discussion in a respectful manner

eh
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:45 am

Chaos wrote:
Himuro wrote: Better yet, gamers suck and games suck.

Himuro wrote:you should have started this entire discussion in a respectful manner

eh

I don't how see how you could get emotional from that. Cue the violins! :-({|= Someone doesn't like my video games, time to say they're stupid, thus proving them right! :rotflmao:
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Chaos » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:49 am

Just saying you started this off with a nice blanket statement of "gamers suck". I really don't care. I'm just shaking my head at what a shitshow this topic is turning into.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:55 am

Whatever. I'll be on my way. Don't bother responding because I won't reply. You can continue the topic, sorry for ruining it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Raithos » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:03 am

You are totally missing the point. You say people bash you for your opinion, but it's the way you express and personally separate yourself from the "gamers" you are sharing them with that gets you shit. I have no doubt this is not a first for you. There are tons of opinions I don't agree with in this thread but this is just that, an opinion thread. All except yours were just simple statments. Yours came with narrow minded generalizations of people like myself that enjoys games. So yes, I laughed at your opinions. If you can't just state what you think about a game without insulting people, get used to it. Cue the violins lol :-({|=
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:05 am

Dont worry Himuro, I dont really agree with you but I can see where you're coming from I guess.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:09 am

OL wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
Kenny wrote: Videogames are totally misogynist.

Whilst I agree, there is less games starring women as playable characters nowadays than there used to be in the past, but come on.

Wait... less?
I feel like there are actually a lot more female gaming characters now than there were before. Last generation saw a big jump in that very subject...
Nilin from Remember Me, Faith from Mirror's Edge, Ellie from The Last of Us, Ellen Ripley from Alien Isolation, Aveline from Assassin's Creed Liberation, Ellen from Folklore, Bayonetta from Bayonetta.
Not to mention all the series from the past that have continued providing female playable characters up to now: Metroid, Koei's Warrors series, Resident Evil, the Deception series, the Siren games. Even Yakuza 5 finally lets you play as Haruka. That's a lot of ladies.

On the subject though, I think the word "misogyny" gets throw around a little too much. Misogyny is characterized by a hatred or dislike of women, but it's most commonly used by gamers to talk about how women are portrayed in games very often as titillation.
I dunno about anyone else, but the presence of hookers, strippers, or scantily-clad ladies doesn't really indicate a sense of hatred on the part of the devs to me...
Actually quite the opposite.
I don't think women would be sexualized so much in games if the developers didn't like women. That's like saying I hate gaming because I like good graphics. Or, more directly, like calling me a woman-hater because I love tits.

I wasn't being serious, guys.

Wait, was this supposed to be a serious topic?

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 am

I've never owned an iOS device so I'm not really familiar with its catalogue. I have also never been a big fan of RPGs so I can't help you there. But if we're talking arcade shooters, there's a whole world out there, and I'm talking about the likes of TxK, Velocity 2x, Resogun, Luftrausers, Sine Mora, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Kokuga, Nano Assault EX, Kero Blaster, Syder Arcade, etc and those are all in the last couple of years or so.
And I'm sure you'll find a lot of other games similar to games you've posted for the iOS on the e-shop (since you already have a 3DS, even if you've misplaced it).
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:13 am

Kenny wrote:I wasn't being serious, guys.

Wait, was this supposed to be a serious topic?

Oh no, I know. I was responding more so to the general sentiment that you were joking about, because many people do seem to think the industry is misogynistic.

And come on now guys, no need to insult each other directly. Disagree and debate all you like, but don't actually start insulting anyone. Sure way to get a locked topic, and that shouldn't be necessary.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:47 pm

I can see the misogyny argument, a little bit, but I think I am basing it on older games. There are plenty of games with strong women as well though...

As for games on phones Hill Climb Racing is like a phone version of Trials and it is quite playable and addictive. Available on iOS, Android and even on my Windows phone!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming