Bloodstained "Ritual of the Night"

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Bloodstained "Ritual of the Night"

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:14 pm

I don't think the games being multiplatform changes much in terms of development length, with modern tools you can render games for multiple platforms at the same time.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:19 pm

They're making a Switch version? Well, guess it makes sense cancelling the Wii U version then. But I guess that's the problem with those guys coming from big companies such as Konami or Capcom. If you're a small company working on a KS game you can't bring it to 4 or 5 platforms simultaneously. Yu seems to have understood this whereas Igarashi and Inafune haven't.

I think the gameplay doesn't look bad, though. I like the level design and character design. The boss fight in the end looked good too. It does look a bit clunky but then again Castlevania games were never really fast-paced if I remember correctly. Could be wrong though. I never owned one, only played them at friends' houses back in the 90s.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:38 pm

south carmain wrote: I don't think the games being multiplatform changes much in terms of development length, with modern tools you can render games for multiple platforms at the same time.

It affects budget and QA and for a team this small that's a big deal.It certainly affects length. This game was delayed a year.Different hardware different different quirks different problems to run into. It's why Multiplatform games can have individual problems on different platforms. Book of Unwritten Tales 2 had a unique glitch to only Wii U where you could not save after a certain point. Darksiders II PS3 there was a lever you could not move in a puzzle but fine on 360. 360 had it's own glitch on something else. Multiplatform greatly affects length.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Bluecast wrote:
south carmain wrote: I don't think the games being multiplatform changes much in terms of development length, with modern tools you can render games for multiple platforms at the same time.

It affects budget and QA and for a team this small that's a big deal.It certainly affects length. This game was delayed a year.Different hardware different different quirks different problems to run into. It's why Multiplatform games can have individual problems on different platforms. Book of Unwritten Tales 2 had a unique glitch to only Wii U where you could not save after a certain point. Darksiders II PS3 there was a lever you could not move in a puzzle but fine on 360. 360 had it's own glitch on something else. Multiplatform greatly affects length.

They're developing it on Unreal engine 4 which makes publishing for different platforms as easy as choosing which platform you want to publish for on a list. I guess it adds testing time but that's probably one of the shortest areas of development.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:41 pm

They still have to optimize.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 am

phpBB [video]

For some reason I'm looking forward to this stretch goal 8-bit game more than the main game. Playing it specially on the Switch handheld mode will give me vibes of the time spent on the Gameboy color during childhood.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: OL
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kyo_JP » Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 am

The Castlevania III system looks great, I remember playing Julius Mode in Aria of Sorrow and it was great
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:26 am

phpBB [video]

E3 2018 Gameplay

It's still a bit on the unpolished side with the animations. The character design is nice, but the backgrounds are so unappealing when compared to his last DS game a decade ago, Order of Ecclesia.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:06 pm

This isn't out yet?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby dietsoap » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:26 am

south carmain wrote: This isn't out yet?

I know this sounds entitled, but I really don't understand why a 2D sidescroller like this with a group of professionals with years of experience in making these kinds of games is taking so long. Over 3 years now into development, and we've only just now got our first proper gameplay footage at E3. We don't even have a release estimate yet.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:53 pm

^^Nah, doesn't sound entitled at all. Just educated, if anything.
Honestly, they used to come out with a new 2D Castlevania almost yearly; the gap from Harmony of Dissonance to Aria of Sorrow was actually less than a year, and Aria is one of the most lauded games in the series post-Symphony of the Night.
Like you said, with a group of experienced creators behind this... what's taking so long?
I'm not even personally all that interested in it (they shot themselves in the foot when they made the graphics 3D rather than sprite-based, if you ask me; I'll just stick to Order of Ecclesia, thanks), but it's still really odd to see it going like this. I look at the new footage compared to the old and barely see any difference.

Oh, also, looking back at this topic:

OL wrote: Jesus, yeah, Shenmue would probably get funded in a single day just like those two. But it's still just a pipe dream, since that's an existing franchise which Sega would have to give up the rights to. And that isn't going to happen.

It's nice to be wrong sometimes. :nice!:
Or halfway at least.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:21 am

I'm a (slacker) backer too, but I'm fine with the delays, really. Never really played any of the Castlevania games so I can't comment on that. But regarding that 3-d vs. 2-d topic, I think I've once read an interview with Igarashi once in which he said, they wanted to make this game in a 3-d engine (I think it's Unreal 4, if I remember correctly) to make porting it easier and faster. Don't forget that this is gonna be on a fuckton of systems.

The only thing which I find weird is that they send me the backer survey about a year ago, if memory serves me right but they still haven't even found a release date. But anyway, as long as they bring out a quality product in the end, I'm gonna be happy with however long it takes.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby dietsoap » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 am

According to Gematsu this is releasing within the next two days... :spinnn: :spinnn: :spinnn:

"Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, and PS Vita in the first half of 2018."

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/bloodstaine ... er-backers
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Previous

Return to General Gaming