Games you used to love but just can't enjoy to play anymore?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Games you used to love but just can't enjoy to play anymore?

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:00 am

Are there any games that you used to love but just can't enjoy playing anymore? Not really talking about games that have aged poorly but instead games that you just don't particularly enjoy to (or can't stand to) play anymore.

I have a couple that're like that for me personally.

My biggest one would be the Zelda franchise. I used to be a huge zelda fan, but now I can't really enjoy most of the games in the series. I still enjoy A Link to the Past and Zelda II, but the other games really fail to keep my attention. I feel as though the later games in the series have a really awkward way to go about puzzle solving that just feels tedious to me -- it's as if everything is planned out and you're constantly deconstructing man-made traps rather than exploring. I get that they're good games, and I used to really like them, but playing them now bores me to death. I put a large importance on virtual locations in video games, and I'll sometimes boot up an old game just to hang out in a town in-game, so I've kept some games (majora's mask and wind waker specifically) strictly for that nostalgia-esque virtual inhabiting.

Other than that, I don't really enjoy JRPGs at all anymore (other than a few on the SNES that I'm fond of) and I also do not enjoy N64 Rareware titles (or really most games on the N64)
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Games you used to love but just can't enjoy to play anym

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:06 am

Most open world action games like Assassins Creed, GTA, Infamous, Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs.. all those dogs..
They just seem like a big fetch quest exercise over and over..and they all copy each other.
Collect this orb, this feather, this symbol, this fucking thing that you need to get 100 of until you get an achievment/trophy.
It's gameplay padding and im done with it. I've fallen for it too many times.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby myshtuff » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:57 am

Initially the idea of sandbox games seemed great, but after a while it gets really old really fast.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AM2 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:26 am

All games lately...except for Virtua Fighter, Shenmue, or any of the AM2/SEGA classics.
The next game I'll play will be Shenmue 3. Weird how I've lost interest over the past few years.
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Life

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:36 am

Sonic Adventure. It felt amazing for it's time, just like Super Mario 64 felt amazing for it's time. But Mario holds up. SA didn't. :( The bad camera, big the cat levels and a bunch of other issues hold it down. I will say though that it was a fun game when it was relevant, they put a great effort into it. It's everything Sonic Extreme should have been and is nothing like the trash Sega phones in every year. I just can't bring myself to pick up and play it any more is all. I still pick up and play the other Sonic's.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:52 am

^Blasphemy!

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Sonikku
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby myshtuff » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Normally do not like this kind of shit, but hes pretty spot on.

phpBB [video]
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:40 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: ^Blasphemy!

I LOVED the Sonic levels. It's just all the Big the cat stuff and the "track the emerald shard" levels I couldn't stand. >.< I only got to play Super Sonic through GameShark because I couldn't stand big the cat levels. #SonikkuConfessions.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:34 pm

It's probably the one game I've completed more times than Shenmue. Sure, there are annoying bits like when you have to go through the hotel lobby, but I think overall it still holds up well. Even introduced my nephew to it, and if it wasn't for LEGO Marvel Superheroes (yes... he's more of a Marvel fan than DC... traitor) it'd be his favourite game.

The Big levels can be a pain in the arse, yeah, but at least he can climb ladders pretty quick, so I'll always forgive the character for that. And for bein Duke Nukem in disguise. Someone should look into doing a mod based on that...

But yeah, shame on you.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:37 pm

For me it's the 8-bit era. Sure, enjoyed the Master System when I was a wee lad, but nowadays? Nuh uh. It's not just because of "lol, they're old" it's just that I generally suck at most side scrolling games now (Shinobi, the Master System version, is a really fucking hard game). Makes me feel old when looking back on it too. And I don't like feeling old. :sad:
I generally preferred the 16 bit era and when I went back to that era of games around five or so years ago, I still enjoyed the vast majority of the games I did when I was a kid, some games I even had newfound appreciation for, like Rocket Knight Adventures, Shinobi 3 and Ristar. Those games are really well designed.

Aside from that, I still like 90% of the games I did way back when, just unfortunately really don't have time to game as much as I used to during my college or unemployment days.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:23 pm

For me, anything that isn't really up to today's standards in terms of visuals. The Dreamcast VGA compatible games aside, I hate the blurred undetailed games with lack of textures etc. It doesn't keep me interested or in a comfortable state where I feel immersed in the world.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonne2 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Every 3d game that has polygons of the ps1 era, still play genesis 2d games like streets of rage 2(never get tired of it), found out shining force had a sequel all these years, so I'm playing that right now, played and completed the first one in 2006 on the dreamcast's sega smash pack.
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:26 pm

I feel the way as Thief. I used to love the Zelda games, but not anymore. Their world is really boring, which consists of basically dungeons connected by the same themed "wastelands". I'm not too hot about JRPGs too so I'm not thrilled about a FFVII remake, and action RPGs like The Witcher. The last type of games I used to love but not now are strictly multiplayer games. I can't stand playing them if they do not have a solid driven campaign mode.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrandyk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:39 pm

Sonne2 wrote: Every 3d game that has polygons of the ps1 era, still play genesis 2d games like streets of rage 2(never get tired of it), found out shining force had a sequel all these years, so I'm playing that right now, played and completed the first one in 2006 on the dreamcast's sega smash pack.

Just to let you know, there is a Shining Force III as well for the Sega Saturn. I never played the third game(s) (I believe it is three games in Japan, but just one in other regions), but the first two are superb!
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonne2 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:24 am

mrandyk wrote:Just to let you know, there is a Shining Force III as well for the Sega Saturn. I never played the third game(s) (I believe it is three games in Japan, but just one in other regions), but the first two are superb!

I saw a youtube video of it, it looks pretty good incorporating the 3d world into the engine, but SF1's battle music hypes me up more than II and III lol, I don't know why.
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to General Gaming