My Dreamcast Is Dying?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

My Dreamcast Is Dying?

Postby Tpgb12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:06 pm

I just got back my resurfaced Discs 1, 3, and Passport disc for Shenmue. Discs look absolutely perfect now with none of the weird "pastey" look you get from cheap home resurfacing. I eagerly popped in Disc 1, and... nothing really happens. It goes to the licensed by Sega screen and then the drive makes weird noises and goes back to the bios menu. Although, if I turn the console upside down, it somewhat works. Got through the really emotional (in my opinion) intro, and played for a bit, but when I went to other areas, it would sometimes crash. It never crashes at the same point. I opened up my Dreamcast, and I increased the voltage going to the laser with the potentiometer. Now I don't have to turn it upside down, but it still has issues with crashing when loading areas or buildings at times. I tried another game, Airforce Delta, and when I failed a mission it gave me a disc read error (the disc has very little scratches). I'm not sure about my other games, and I haven't tried the rest of my Shenmue discs much, but I do know the other Shenmue discs booted up without me having to adjust the laser voltage. Maybe I'll put a save on my VMU from the Dream Explorer VMU Tool to see the other discs further. Should I get another copy of Shenmue Disc 1 and Airforce Delta to see if it's my console and those two game discs are both defective, or should I increase the voltage more? Any other ideas would help. Thanks.
Tpgb12
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Manic1231
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Gaiares

Re: My Dreamcast Is Dying?

Postby Tpgb12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:13 pm

I would have considered getting this, but it already sold... Crap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shenmue-Dreamca ... true&rt=nc
Tpgb12

Postby Shibiryo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Your Dreamcast isin't dying mate, It's still thinking...
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Tpgb12 wrote: I would have considered getting this, but it already sold... Crap.

It's probally not the disc, It's probally the Laser. After so many uses, the laser loser power, and considering how much is going on in Shenmue, it may not have a high enough power lv to really read the disc.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tpgb12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:34 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Tpgb12 wrote: I would have considered getting this, but it already sold... Crap.

It's probally not the disc, It's probally the Laser. After so many uses, the laser loser power, and considering how much is going on in Shenmue, it may not have a high enough power lv to really read the disc.

Hmm. I don't see any replacement GD-ROM drives on eBay (except for one being sold by an idiot expecting to get 50 dollars for it). May as well get another Dreamcast at this point, but I have very little money... This sucks. I've been depressed recently and this really does add to it.
Tpgb12

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Go make junk of some Snatchers and insectoids and sell the machine parts on eBay. Heck, sell your JUNKER gun, that should cover the costs for the new Dreamcast, fellow JUNKER.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Mr357 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:01 pm

I would keep tuning the potentiometer, but make sure you stop if it gets to the point where the disc spins much faster and the laser has a noticeable "intensity" to its sound. If you can't get it reading discs reliably, then buy a new Dreamcast. If you lower the resistance on the laser too much, it could damage your discs when trying to read them, so be patient and careful.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Tpgb12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:31 pm

I'll turn it a bit more later. Actually, I tried out Shenmue Disc 3 via the VMU Tool disc, and loaded up a save that's near the end of the game where you go get Nozomi and defeat Terry and get to Chai, the final boss. No issues at all. Strange. Disc 1 seems so much more picky than the others.
Tpgb12

Postby Tpgb12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:32 pm

Hmm... Just thought of what possibly caused this if it's the laser. I did first play through Shenmue completely on CD-Rs as the real discs used to be completely hosed. Don't a lot of people not recommend using those?
Tpgb12

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Tpgb12 wrote: Hmm... Just thought of what possibly caused this if it's the laser. I did first play through Shenmue completely on CD-Rs as the real discs used to be completely hosed. Don't a lot of people not recommend using those?

Yea, playing burned discs, kills the laser faster then if you only play the official games.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tpgb12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:46 pm

My Dreamcast just suddenly stopped reading anything... Well, I just bought a lot of two Dreamcast consoles. Both are tested and working. Hopefully this puts an end to this frustration.
Tpgb12

Postby Mr357 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Tpgb12 wrote: Hmm... Just thought of what possibly caused this if it's the laser. I did first play through Shenmue completely on CD-Rs as the real discs used to be completely hosed. Don't a lot of people not recommend using those?

Yea, playing burned discs, kills the laser faster then if you only play the official games.

That's not always the case. Using good quality CD's and well-made rips which don't burn the game data all over the place will barely wear down your laser more than actual games. The real problem is that Sega cheaped out on the Dreamcast's laser when they designed it.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

That's not always the case. Using good quality CD's and well-made rips which don't burn the game data all over the place will barely wear down your laser more than actual games. The real problem is that Sega cheaped out on the Dreamcast's laser when they designed it.

I heard about better ripped/burned games not doing much damage, but since there's no way to tell the difference, just don't play burned games at al. DC games are usually cheap(except for like Operation Justice, and now the Pal version of the Shenmue games).

Yea sigh, stupid Saturn got the Rose Royce of lasers, while the DC got the Ford Pinto of lasers.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:35 am

Dreamcast reader sucked. I'm on my 3rd (don't even use it, just nostalgia).

At the time it was easy to find repair pieces, today not so much.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby BigTuna » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:16 pm

If your DC is dying. Flea markets are your friend. I have 5 Dreamcast consoles, just in case mine decides to die. I paid super cheap for all of them($7-$15), except one. It's the SEGA Sports Edition, which I own 2 of, but it came in the box. Complete, all wrapped up and looks pretty much brand new. Best 60 bucks I've ever spent, man. So you never know what you're gonna find out there. If you have any at all in your area, I totally recommend going sometime if you're able. I see Dreamcast's all the time at mine.

But luckily, I haven't experienced the sad day of seeing one of my Dreamcast's fall to its knees and give up on the world yet. But I know that day will come eventually and it'll be probably one of the worst days of my life.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Next

Return to General Gaming