Shin Megami Tensei IV-2 Announced

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Shin Megami Tensei IV-2 Announced

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:15 am

Funny that I just beat the game two nights ago and a new one gets announced.

http://megaten4f.jp/

It's called Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final (it does not include the original SMTIV, this is a new game and a direct continuation of IV).

Details in stream on Oct 11 at 7pm JST.

Famitsu article on it this week.

- Brand new 3DS game, NOT a remix
- Based on the SMTIV setting, the keyword is "Godslayer"
- Feb 10 2016
- 6998yen
- Mostly the same staff as SMTIV, but Satoshi Oyama is directing this time.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201510/06090028.html

Still no Kaneko, ah well, at least Doi's character designs are more intriguing this time.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Shin Megami Tensei IV-2 Announced

Postby OL » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Still haven't really cracked into SMTIV that much yet (just a couple hours), but this is still pretty cool news. Always nice to see something other than Persona coming out of Atlus, and yeah, those character designs really are a little more interesting. Definitely seems to be taking a bigger cue from Kaneko himself (the little details, the badges, the symbols, the colors and all that feel much more old-school Kaneko-esque, like something you'd see in Maken X or Soul Hackers).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm excited. If SMTIV was like a modern version of SMTII, I wonder what this will be like.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:37 pm

The sequel is a free for all bloodbath, it sounds like. People are fighting each other for rations and to survive after a war where everyone is left with very little resources. Already sounds darker than SMTIV from the outset. Chief Programmer of Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne and Strange Journey is the Director this time around.

The stage is set in Tokyo of the year 203X.

In order to avoid destruction from the war against the gods that suddenly broke out 25 years prior, thick bedrock was made to cover the sky, which also prevented any contact with those outside.

It wasn’t long until the battle ended, and the people of Tokyo began to fight and murder others for the little amount of supplies and resources that remained, as they’ve become ruled over by the angels and demons that stood atop the food chain.

Protagonist (CV: Hiro Shimono): has been spending his days as an apprentice of an organization called the Outlaw Hunters. While out on a mission, he takes a surprise attack from a demon, and dies.

Mysterious Demon (CV: Shuichi Ikeda): After the death of the protagonist, this mysterious demons finds him wandering the underworld and forms a contract with him, giving him a new life and the ability to summon demons.

Asahi (CV: Seike Tomoko): a 15-year-old girl and childhood friend of the protagonist. She’s also part of the Outlaw Hunters organization.

Navarre (CV: Shintaro Oohata): the same Navarre from Shin Megami Tensei IV. After losing his life for something petty, Navarre wasn’t able to properly find peace in the afterlife, and that’s when he meets the protagonist. He currently has the form of a green body.

Masayuki Doi is the character designer of the game, and you’ll see the likes of Merkabah, Lucifer, and others, including Medusa from the previous game, in their refined forms.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final will release in Japan in February 2016 for Nintendo 3DS. The game is currently 90% complete.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/06/sh ... jlW3QHx.99

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final Team Making Improvements Using Fan Feedback From SMT IV

Following the details on Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final’s story and characters that we reported, this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine also features an interview with the game’s producer Kazuyuki Yamai, who shares additional details. [Thanks, Hachima.]

During the interview, Famitsu asks about how the plans started for Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final.

“We were wondering if there was anything we could do that’s characteristic of Maniax [makers of the enhanced version of Nocturne with Dante, and also Shin Megami Tensei IV] and as we investigated on what could be done, we realized that we just wanted to make a completely new title, and the development started there,” says Yamai.

“’Let’s use this occasion to make everything clear’—those are the thoughts that went into this title, and that’s why we put ‘Final’ in it.”

Yamai then goes on to explain the game’s two major points. One is what he says is the necessary “reality” that shows mankind at their limited state. The other is that since it’ll be a simple RPG [as far as gameplay goes] they want to have the players step into its ambiguously told story. To put it simply, the theme will be about “should I bond with, or kill them all?”

Famitsu asks about the appearance of Navarre in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final.

“We wanted to see him in again, and we expect that he’ll be able to expand on the drama, so we decided to have him make a reappearance,” responds Yamai.

“We’ve looked through plenty of fan feedback from Shin Megami Tensei IV, and implemented all the improvements possible. Everything from key input to conversing with demons has been either revamped or improved,” continues Yamai.”

He concludes, “we’ve been focusing on every nook and cranny to work on our goal of making it the number one RPG for the 3DS. And the game will also have content that will make it enjoyable without any problems for even those that have yet to play Shin Megami Tensei IV.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/06/sh ... tj6uSSB.99

All sounds very good. They were originally going to make an enhanced version of IV but decided against it since they had so many ideas for a new game. I much prefer that outcome. 90% done on development too, so we'll probably see more games from Maniax team soon after, no doubt. It's Megami Tensei's 30th Anniversary and Shin Megami Tensei's 25th Anniversary in a 2017, so... Good times.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:53 pm

so I think this game is pretty much a glorified expansion of sorts in the vein of Persona 3 FES additional content in The Answer. Seems to be a similar situation, perhaps they again will release the first game + SMTIV: Final in one package?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:27 am

Too much hours in something that I think I could like but it has been buried in a lot of hours I just don't care.

Why do games have to strain it everything to the most ?

You can see that in music, but it's at most 2 hours (with some very cool stuff).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:44 am

I liken RPGs to be more like a long running TV series. If you're invested enough in a particular game series, you're going to keep playing through these long ass games. And Atlus are the best at what they do, easily.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:so I think this game is pretty much a glorified expansion of sorts in the vein of Persona 3 FES additional content in The Answer. Seems to be a similar situation, perhaps they again will release the first game + SMTIV: Final in one package?

Nah, they already explained that was what they were going to do originally, release an expansion, but this turned out to be a whole new game. They may do a bundle pack, but they can only fit so much game on one small cart like that, so I wouldn't expect them to include both games on one cart in the future, since this game is no doubt going to be huge again.

If anything, it's going to be more like Digital Devil Saga 2; a continuation of the game prior. AFAIK, not played it, but The Answer was pretty damn short (around 10 hours).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:42 am

I'm not sure how I feel about this one quite yet. SMTIV wasn't perfect, but I'd say it was more good than bad -- however, it is such a huge investment. Took me quite a while to beat the first one and I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to tackle another quite yet :P (and when I do play another, I think I'm more interested in checking out Soul Hackers as Henry suggested).

We'll see how I feel by the time this comes out though. A lot can change.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Trailer:

phpBB [video]

Moon phases are back (so maybe random battles are back? Guess we'll see) and the smirk mechanic has been downgraded so that it only works on certain skills and not all (good, since the smirk mechanic just made the game too easy). Also, it appears that demons cannot lose their skill attributes, like Jack Frost will always have better skills with ice based magic more than if he gets a fire attack.

The character artist of SMT: Final, Masayuki Doi (character artist on SMT4) is handling the Demon Designs this time around, no more guest artist nonsense and you can definitely tell he's doing his best Kaneko impression with the designs now. He is Kaneko's junior, after all (he's been the "additional character" artist on the series since Nocturne).

Also, it looks like the main character gets revived just like Demi-Fiend does; complete with tattoos. Hope the dungeons are better this time and we're set for a much better game than SMT4.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Jesus Christ, the aesthetic is so much better than IV's. The more Kaneko inspired designs have me excited. Was really hoping for SMTV for PS4 but I'll take this.

Also the moon is back! SMT without moon stages is :-({|=
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:50 pm

I honestly think they'll save SMTV for when they have Persona 5 out and they can just reuse those assets and that engine. Kaneko's Demons are already in P5, so, it'd be an easy job for them to work the next MegaTen game around that. Either that, or they want to create a new engine for SMTV. I'm just happy we're getting a new SMT so quick after the last one, then again, I realise the wait must be longer for those of you in NA, but here in Europe we just got SMTIV only around a year ago.

Here's hoping the next one doesn't take as long to come over here to the UK, since the release for SMTIV coming from the NA release to UK/Europe was one excruciatingly long wait.

EDIT: Battle Theme (it's epic) - https://soundcloud.com/kingcrimson51/sm ... um=twitter
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:04 pm

I'm pretty sure they'll be reusing the assets for SMTV. It'll be SMT ps2 generation all over again. \:D/
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:26 pm

phpBB [video]

http://www.atlus.com/smt4a/

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/shin-megami- ... cas-summer

SMT IV Apocalypse summer 2016, For those interested. Details in the links.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Great news, I was worried that it wasn't going to come out in the west :)

I was lukewarm about SMTIV, but looking back on it now, I really liked the game quite a bit. I'll be picking this up for certain.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Return to General Gaming