Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:07 am

As is Microsoft (couldn't fit them on the title).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1198430

Sony is currently planning a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at 4K resolution, developer sources tell Kotaku.

We don’t know whether current PS4 owners will be able to upgrade or if they’ll have to buy an entirely new device to benefit from this power boost, but from what we hear, Sony has started briefing developers.

Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this fall. It’s unclear if ‘PS4.5’ is an official name or just a nickname that developers have been using. One developer jokingly called it the ‘PS4K’ while telling me about the device.

In layman’s terms, 4K resolution is around twice the pixel size of 1080p, which is the current standard for games on PlayStation 4 and competing consoles. The current PS4 can output 4K photos and videos, but cannot support 4K resolutions for games. With this upgrade, it would. Besides resolution, developers would have an opportunity to push more effects and other graphical tweaks to make their games look better, thanks to the new GPU.
The circle of people who knew about this upgraded PS4 was small until recently. I first heard about the device from one trusted source, then two. Kotaku’s Jason Schreier and Stephen Totilo were also able to independently verify the existence of these hardware plans with their own developer sources, although some of the details have been vague; one source told us that the device felt “exploratory” and that it may not even be released this year.
As we were chasing down this story, coincidentally, Kotaku UK EIC Keza MacDonald overheard some developers casually talking about the machine while on line at GDC. They mentioned the name ‘PS4.5’ and discussed its increased horsepower, mentioning both 4K resolution and PlayStation VR.
The PS4.5 may not be alone, either.

I’ve heard whispers about an upgraded Xbox One for a while now, and Microsoft has been public about the possibility. At a press briefing earlier this month, Xbox head Phil Spencer hinted to journalists that his company has been exploring the possibility of evolving hardware.

Seems a little soon...no?

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Mr357
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on pl

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Don't have a 4k TV so not arsed.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Jesse
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sonikku » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Going from VHS to DVD was huge. Going from 480i to 720p wasn't nearly the jump, it it was still pretty nice. Now we're at 1080p and I have doubts as for how much better 4k is going to be. At least, shy of 70" anyway. It seems like a huge GPU expense for diminishing returns. If they even bother I think I would rather have 1080p 60fps than 4k at 30.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Jesse
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:08 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Don't have a 4k TV so not arsed.

That's exactly what most people are going to say. I'm curious as to who Sony is targeting with this.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Jesse
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonikku » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Seems to me if people want 4k graphics they might better go the PC Gaming route.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Jesse
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:23 pm

I'm curious how this will work. Nintendo brought out the New 3DS with more power and I can only think of one game that uses that extra power. Can't see many devs wasting time and money on making a PS4.5 version of the game when the install base will be much much smaller then the regular PS4.

I know on PC's you can pretty much use a slider to make the game look better but if that costs a lot of money to do I can see this not taking off.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Jesse
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm sure it will be compatible with non 4K TVs as well.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Jesse
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Jesse » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:38 pm

I planned on getting a ps4 in may but this has made me hesitant to wait and see what this all means. This will more than likely be cleared up during e3. I don't know if I'll continue playing games if the future of this industry is to upgrade hardware every year or two similar to phones. Granted I'm probably being cautious over nothing seeing as how I don't own a 4k tv nor a vr peripheral nor plan to in the future. I have a feeling this new ps4 will be similar to the ps3 slim in a more lean efficient version of the base model but with the vr add on. Interesting times in the video game world right now.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Axm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:18 am

For those not sure who they are targeting with this.. they are targeting everyone..eventually..
If you haven't kept up with prices a 4k TV is usually around $1000 for a 55'inch, $800 for a 50' inch and $500 for a 43' inch. The price of getting into 4k is getting super cheap and Sony knows it, so they are future proofing themselves. Smart move, especially since this does nothing to fragment the user base of those who don't want to upgrade anything. Any further leg up on Xbox will just cement the lead they have on the market.

And the content is there with Netflix and other streaming services. 4k bluray's are around and the TV networks are all making the jump. And now so many camera's and smartphone camera's shoot 4k so it's great for photographers/videographers.
So ya, just like with every bit of new tech it takes time but it's there and actually rapidly got cheaper recently.

I just bought a new 1080p TV a couple years ago when I moved back to Japan but now that the prices on the 4k sets are so cheap I can easily see myself buying a 4k display a year or so from now probably around the same time this PS4K comes out.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:33 am

"Super cheap"? Mate, you earn too much money.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby fittersau » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:33 am

All these "leaks" are simply appear to be sabre rattling exercises..

MS XBone with cross platform games, modular consoles, annual or biannual console purchases like mobile phones..

Sony with 4K gaming on a new console only 2.5 years old.

It is too soon and too expensive. Not even a PC can do 4K gaming without an extremely powerful rig. So it's never going to come to console gaming at an affordable price.

Sabre rattling or just slow news days with gaming gossip rags with nothing else to report on and click baiting.

I have a 4K TV, without any 4K content. Complete waste of tech right now. 8K is available but for an exorbitant price.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:03 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:"Super cheap"? Mate, you earn too much money.

Scratch that. Super affordable. $500 for a TV is pretty standard. Especially for most who look at a TV to buy every 8-10 years. So ya, 4K isnt some crazy expensive thing anymore like it was. Especially if you can sell your TV for a hundred or so.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:31 pm

High end gamers given the choice seem to prefer 144hz at a lower resolution compared to running games in a 4k resolution.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:41 pm

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sourc ... 1100-5437/

Looks like this is a thing now. Also this new PS4 model will be sporting an upgraded CPU GPU and Memory.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:02 pm

The CPU was the systems Achilles heel and they barely improved it all.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming