What are your PC specs?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are your PC specs?

Postby myshtuff » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:24 am

PU: Intel I7 4770k @3.5 ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H
Memory: 8GB
OS Drive: 120GB samsung SSD
Storage Drive: 2 separate 1 TB HDDs from Toshiba
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX660
Case: Corsair
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600M

Cost me about $1000 2 years ago and still runs like a charm and plays basically anything. In the next few months or so I may get a new GPU though as it is a tad outdated.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Raithos
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonikku » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:43 am

My desktop. Fractal R4.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:29 pm

What! No Peter Venkman! lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonikku » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:48 pm

Stay calm and DON'T PANIC.

He's on the way. :P
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:40 am

CPU: Some 4.odd GhZ AMD
CPU Cooler: The one that came with it
Motherboard: An ASUS
Memory: 16GB split across two 8GB cards
Storage: 1TB x1, 500GB x2
GPU: GeForce 970x or some stupid ultra cool future name like that
Case: Dunno
PSU: A decent one
Audio: No clue

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Raithos
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Ziming » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:17 pm

My Zotac 1060 arrived today. Here are photos of it installed in the new pc.

Ziming has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:20 pm

By happy coincidence I too ordered a Nvidia 1060 and also saw it delivered and installed today. :D
Some pics.

The box. Behold. :P

The 7770 removed. Don't feel bad, she's replacing the X1950XT in my mother's machine. :D

It's much longer than my 7770 but is still positively dwarfed by the size of my Fractal R4 case. HTPC this is not. :lol:

Installed.

I had originally tried to get the EVGA mini and was poised to score a killer deal getting the 1060 at msrp of $250 minus the paypal coupon code that stood to give me $25 off $200+ orders. Sadly, it ran out of stock while I was submitting my order. :mad: I didn't see a 1060 of any flavor in stock again until a full day later (The MSI one) and by then the coupon code had expired. :sad: Oh well.

But for what it is worth, getting one even for MSRP seems like a deal these days, not to mention the MSI variant I settled on is longer with two fans dissipating heat instead of one. Should make for either silent gaming under full load or better overclocks. Or both. ;-)

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Ziming
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby scarless landi » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:23 am

CPU - I7 4790K
GPU - EVGA GTX 980 FTW
Case - Corsair Air 240 (White)
Motherboard - Asus Z97 Gryphon (With Armor kit)
Power Supply - Corsair 750
Ram - 8GB
HDD/SDD - 1 TB Seagate/250GB Samsung 850
Cables - Corsair White Cables
Water Cooling Kit - Corsair H100i Extreme
Monitor - LG 2560X1080 21:9

I wanted to make something that is really small so I can carry it to a friends house. This may be a small case and all but damn its a monster. Temps are very low as well (I live in Maine where its always cold here lol).

I am looking at selling my GTX 980 to my brother for 200 and purchasing a 1070. Im also looking at upgrading my monitor to a 1440P with a high Hz rate.

scarless landi has received a thanks from: Mr357
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:18 am

I've been updating various parts since I originally built the thing in January 2012 but the board, CPU and SSD are getting pretty old. I plan to fill the case with new stuff once we hit 2017, when I got a new TV and the 7th Gen Core CPUs are available.

Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0 Window
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum SS-760XP²
Board: ASUS P8Z68-V Gen 3
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
RAM: 16 GB (4x4) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866
SSD: 120GB Corsair Force GT
Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Sound: Creative SoundBlaster ZxR
Capture: Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI
Cooling: Scythe Ninja 3 Rev B, 4x Noiseblocker Multiframe S1, Scythe Gentle Typhoon 5400

I chose a very "open" case with a lot of ventilation and multiple very slow running high quality fans to keep it as quiet as possible. The cooler was chosen for the same properties. Since the fans on the PSU and GPU don't run on idle the system is so silent that it can only be heard if you put your head right next to it. The Scythe fan can be activated by a reworked light switch at the top of the case as a turbo heat exhaust if need be.

I use a Benq BL2700HT on a custom arm stand. It's not a gaming monitor and FullHD at 27" may seem low tech to some people but I like the ability to work by pixels and have fonts readable without zooming.
I also can't stand the awful viewing angles and unstable image of TN panels anymore. That's why I went with an AMVA+ panel, wich is better in every way besides reaction time, wich is still more than good enough for games on this monitor.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:23 am

Sonikku wrote: By happy coincidence I too ordered a Nvidia 1060 and also saw it delivered and installed today. :D
Some pics.

The box. Behold. :P

The 7770 removed. Don't feel bad, she's replacing the X1950XT in my mother's machine. :D

It's much longer than my 7770 but is still positively dwarfed by the size of my Fractal R4 case. HTPC this is not. :lol:

Installed.

I had originally tried to get the EVGA mini and was poised to score a killer deal getting the 1060 at msrp of $250 minus the paypal coupon code that stood to give me $25 off $200+ orders. Sadly, it ran out of stock while I was submitting my order. :mad: I didn't see a 1060 of any flavor in stock again until a full day later (The MSI one) and by then the coupon code had expired. :sad: Oh well.

But for what it is worth, getting one even for MSRP seems like a deal these days, not to mention the MSI variant I settled on is longer with two fans dissipating heat instead of one. Should make for either silent gaming under full load or better overclocks. Or both. ;-)

Wow wait, I got the MSI 1060 and mines is different?

I didn't know there was differing aftermarket versions of the same card from the same manufacturer.

Anyways, I am just awaiting my CPU arriving, hopefully tomorrow, and then my build will begin! All parts sitting and waiting patiently.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonikku » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:25 pm

That's a higher end cooler likely with a higher overclock. I'm guessing that was higher than the $250 msrp that I paid. AIB manufacturers make all kinds of different coolers and setups. Sapphire for example has a reference cooler 480 at the same time they have a higher end, more expensive "Nitro" version of the same card with a higher overclock and quieter fans.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Peter
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Well came home to a nice surprise! My CPU shipped yesterday with next day delivery! Not only that, but i was able to blag a free optical drive from the IT dept. at the hospital! So we are ready to build tonight!

CASE: Zalman Z1 Neo ATX Tower - transparent side panel, USB 3.0, 3 pre-installed 120mm blue LED fans.
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CXM600 Semi-Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply Unit, 600W
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Quad Core 4GHz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z97 PC Mate
GRAPHICS CARD: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB GDDR5
RAM: G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) Ripjaws X Dual Channel Memory Kit - Blue
SSD: Kingston 120 GB
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB
EXTERNAL STORAGE: SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 64GB
OPTICAL DRIVE: No idea. DVD R/W completely free so i grabbed it and ran
KEYBOARD: Logitech Wireless Touch K400+

Id say in the next hour, i will start the build. Probably take me well into the night!

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Sonikku
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:50 pm

120gb SSD might not cut it longer term if you plan on gaming. I opted to get a 256gb ssd at the last moment when I was considering a 120 one and I'm still finding myself teetering on the edges with games now pushing 60gb a pop. :shock: It helps keeping videos and movies on the hdd with nothing but the OS and games on the SSD, but only so much. Have fun with the build in any event!

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Peter
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Oh, i should mention, the SSD is completely for the OS and any drivers. The HDD for media and external storage for last resort backup.

This is just to get the thing off of the ground, since i am off to Japan in 4 weeks. Once i get back, i will be looking to immediately increase the storage beyond 1TB. Down the line i may look for more power, water cooling if necessary (although i dont see any overclocking on the horizon) and also upping the RAM to 32GB with another 2x 8BG G.Skills bars.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:06 pm

That's what crazy, I don't forsee any gaming on this build anytime soon. If anything, I just want to make sure I am prepared for the Shenmue beta! Right now, all I plan to be working in is Vegas Pro and a few other media editing suites. Lots of plans for the coming months, including Twitch Stream. I need to double check since I am half pissed right now, but it think the GPU comes with 24 months Broadcaster subscription! Not that I've ever had anything wrong with OBS outside of CPU and RAM. But will keep my fingers crossed.
Blue I just read your specs only and jumped on with a massive post with all sorts of questions about your build. But after going back your prargraphs it makes perfect sense! Lol.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming