Prey (2017 Bethesda)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Prey (2017 Bethesda)

Postby Raithos » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:40 pm

phpBB [video]

Trailer shown at Quakecon today. Being developed by Arkane Studios. Doesn't look to have any real connection to the original from what was shown. But Dishonored was really cool so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

"Prey is a first-person sci-fi action game from Arkane Studios, the award-winning creators of the 2012 ‘Game of the Year’, Dishonored. Known for their creative gameplay, distinctive worlds and immersive stories, Arkane reimagines this franchise from the ground up, with an added psychological twist. In Prey, you are the first human enhanced with alien powers aboard a desolate space station under assault. Improvise and innovate in order to survive as you search for answers. Prey is a bold new story set in a dangerous universe.

Prey will release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in 2017."
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Prey (2017 Bethesda)

Postby OL » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:06 pm

I have a lot of faith in Arkane. Most might just know them for Dishonored, but their Might and Magic game, Dark Messiah, was also an absolute blast. And Dishonored 2 is one of my most anticipated games at the moment without a doubt. They're a really great studio, and I think this'll end up being just as good as their other efforts. Looks really cool.

That being said, I still fucking hate it when the name of an IP is just slapped onto something for no reason other than a possible boost in sales. It's not like I'm some diehard for the original Prey, but I can still recognize that this doesn't have anything to do with it. Only similarity looks to be that they're both sci-fi stories involving aliens. The most recognizable thing about the original -- the use of a Native American protagonist and bits of his culture -- is nowhere to be seen in this one.
So why isn't this just a new IP?
I can't imagine the Prey IP is even notable enough to make them think it'll sell much more by calling it that. If anything, the fact that it's made by Arkane is what's going to get people to buy it. So why the fuck are they acting like this counts as a return for the series?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Prey (2017 Bethesda)

Postby Raithos » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Since its not the same protagonist I don't see why keeping the heritage the same is that big of a deal. When Prey 2 was being developed by Human Head you weren't Tommy anymore either. You were just some random bounty hunter.

But this does look to have a bit in common with the original. Morgan seems to reference to something calling to him (the Sphere/ship). We see two enemies types that look similar to the abducted ones from Prey 2006. And since its in space and shows the MC looking at Earth, its could be a spiritual prequel of sorts.

I mean we've only seen a few minutes of it too. A little early to judge its use of the name. We don't know how much Arkane will actually use, or what they will change other than the MC. That's just me though. I'm excited for a decent studio making a game that's supposed to be a reboot of another game I liked, that we will never get a true sequel from lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Return to General Gaming