Playstation Meeting 2016

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Playstation Meeting 2016

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:36 am

What a great time to be switching over to PC \:D/

Seriously, though, how many people really care about being able to play games at 4K resolution on console outside of the gimmick factor? Sure it's nice, but I would much rather a signed-and-sealed guarantee that all games will run at 60+/1080p with better graphics instead of ifs-and-buts and instability at 4K.

ShenGCH has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Sonikku
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:30 am

I don't even care about 1080p or 60fps, so until these new consoles offer something else with their extra horsepower they're pretty meaningless to me.

That said, if they begin receiving exclusive games or features that make it a notably inferior experience to play on the original consoles, then they shouldn't have PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in their names. They will be new platforms in all but title, which happen to be backwards compatible, and it's far too early in the generation for the PS5 and Xbox Two.

I know Microsoft has promised against that approach, so I hope Sony adopts the same policy. Nintendo lost a lot of faith from its hardcore fanbase when it released significantly advanced versions of its handhelds with exclusive games and features that left early adopters feeling left behind. All three companies should learn from that.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Amir » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:40 am

From NeoGAF, Rise of Tomb Raider will have 3 modes on PS4 Pro:

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game running at >45 FPS targeting 60

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

Amir has received a thanks from: Axm
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:51 am

ShenGCH wrote: What a great time to be switching over to PC \:D/

Seriously, though, how many people really care about being able to play games at 4K resolution on console outside of the gimmick factor? Sure it's nice, but I would much rather a signed-and-sealed guarantee that all games will run at 60+/1080p with better graphics instead of ifs-and-buts and instability at 4K.

I do not as well but I believe that frame rate is really a connoisseur thing. Visuals will always be above smoothness, for wide audience (and devs), even if you give the best hardware ever to the studios.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Raithos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:48 pm

ShenGCH wrote: What a great time to be switching over to PC \:D/

One of the best features of a console was the uniformity. Everyone playing a game was on the same level getting the same experience. Not anymore. Now that developers will have to optimize multiple versions of a game for each console, you will see game performance/quality decline.

Currently companies have to develop for PS4, XB1, AMD PC's, Nvidia PC's and Intel/AMD processors. And products already find their way to market crashing and running like shit while depending on patches to stabilize. Now they have to add to that Scorpio, Pro and whatever additional settings they input like with Rise of the Tomb Raider and its multiple graphic options.

As someone who has zero problem spending money on tech, I see no reason to buy this unless you don't have a PS4 or you just have money to waste. If you have a 4K TV you are better off buying a UHD player if 4K video is a concern. If you do have the TV, 95% chance you have the player already so you don't need this to stream.

What are you left with? Not a true 4K gaming machine that's for sure. If gaming in high resolutions is your goal you won't get it here. If people think they are going to get Uncharted, Grand Turismo or Rise of the Tomb Raider at legit 4K they are mistaken. Top of the line PC's are barely being able to scratch the surface and do that. $400 console won't even come close. What you will get is upscaled games just like last gen, when games shipped at 720p but built in video scalers showed you a "1080" image.

Not trying to rag on Sony, cause I'm a huge fan everyone knows that. Just telling it like it is. I just think they really dropped the ball on this one. It could of been so much better.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Thief » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:04 pm

The only consoles that seem to make sense anymore are the Nintendo consoles, in that they're dedicated gaming machines and Nintendo is not concerned with having high-end specs (but rather fun games). Whether or not they succeed in making fun games, or having proper support for their consoles, is another subject.

Anyway, regarding PS4.. most of the games I care about are gunna end up on PC, and without the support of Blu-Ray, now I can't even watch movies on the thing? I don't know... I don't see the point in getting a PS4 personally. I'll just stick with my 3DS for now I guess. Good thing Shenmue III is also on PC.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:19 am

^ You can still watch standart Blu-rays, just not 4K ones. Or did I get that wrong?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:19 am

There's still a standard Blu-Ray player. I don't think Sony has a proper UHD player on the market. They have "4k" Blu-Ray players which just upscale regular Blu-Rays, but don't play UHD 4K ones.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Thief » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Monkei wrote: ^ You can still watch standart Blu-rays, just not 4K ones. Or did I get that wrong?

Oh, if that's the case, then I don't mind so much :P
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Playstation Meeting 2016

Postby Axm » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Ya it still plays standard blu-rays and most 4K TV's if not all of them, upscale it to 4K. Not native but in the end it gets the job done. 4K purists will buy a separate player or use the new xbox lols irony. I don't think Sony saw that coming nor obviously cared. I think the priority was being cost effective even though obviously MS was able to do it despite that excuse.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Previous

Return to General Gaming