760 die in UK heat wave

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

760 die in UK heat wave

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 am

The U.K. is enduring a serious heat wave that has resulted in an estimated 540 to 760 deaths over nine days.

Yet the highest the temperature has risen is 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Most of the time, temperatures have hovered in the high 80s, which, while toasty, doesn't seem like it could kill hundreds of people.

Last month, for example, the temperature hit 117 degrees in Las Vegas during a heat wave that scorched the Southwest and parts of California. The heat was so intense that aviation officials in Phoenix grounded several planes because it was too hot to fly. Yet, across a vast region of the United States, only a few fatalities were recorded.

The same goes for the current heat wave hitting the Northeast. Temperatures have reached nearly 100 degrees in New York, yet it hasn't experienced the same kind of troubles the U.K. has.

So why does 89 degrees kill in the U.K. when it doesn't in the United States?

One reason is that air-conditioning is relatively rare in England. Only 0.5 percent of homes in the U.K. have air-conditioning, according to the BBC. Compare that to the United States, where an estimated 87 percent of households have an air-conditioning unit.

In fact, flipping on the AC accounts for as much as 15 percent of America's total energy consumption. While all of those air-conditioners might not be great for the Earth, they come in handy when the temperature starts climbing toward 100 degrees.

Temperatures approaching 90 degrees are unusual in the U.K. In London, the average high in July is only 73 degrees. As a result, many people don't take the proper precautions against extreme heat.

"Other countries are used to very hot summers, we are not ready for this," said Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg. "Thirty-five degrees [95 degrees Fahrenheit] is pretty brutal and you need to be careful, particularly if you're frail."

In London, 10 children, including a 4-week-old baby, were admitted to a single hospital over the last week to be treated for severe sunburns. Around 457,459 people flooded into the U.K.'s A&E (accident and emergency) wards during the first week of the heat wave — the second-highest total since the country began tracking those statistics.

http://theweek.com/article/index/247184 ... -in-the-uk

And before any Americans ask, nope we are not used to this weather. We definitely wouldn't survive a Texas Summer. Most of the deaths would have been old people, but still, not really surprised by the high number of deaths.

This part surprised me though:

One reason is that air-conditioning is relatively rare in England. Only 0.5 percent of homes in the U.K. have air-conditioning, according to the BBC. Compare that to the United States, where an estimated 87 percent of households have an air-conditioning unit.

Never realised you all have AC units installed. That is a rarity in the UK.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: 760 die in UK heat wave

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 am

fahrenheit in a post about Britain!?
phpBB [video]
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 am

Yeah, too hot n oldies die, too cold n oldies die. Happens every six months. Hell, I knew a guy whose grandmother died coz she opened an oven door.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:05 am

Fuck Australia
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 am

90? You would all die in Utah even let alone Cali or Arizona. Been on average over a 100 here. In Cali it had a record set last month at 134 degrees. 101 today. Arizona is like living on the surface of the sun.
Yeah I have my AC on now plus a fan. Then again I love the cold enough to have windows open in below freezing winters.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Old people. No AC. Always wear cardigans n shit whatever the weather coz they can't change their own clothes. Plus heating on the bus has to be on constant, despite what the temperature is. That's by law. Oh, and our PM's just announced that he plans to start censoring the internet over here. I love my country.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby lavrentis » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:19 pm

UK heat is scientifically proven to be hotter than the rest of the worlds.

Temps don't mean shit. You aint seen heat when you havn't been in a UK 25c heat, feels hotter than 30+ elsewhere imo
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:32 pm

^Exactly. When the average annual temperature over the last 30 years is around 9°C (18°C during summer), it's less to do with the temperature itself and more to do with the increase itself. This summer has been 50% hotter than our bodies have adapted to (and on some days more so) Take the same basic principle, apply it to your habitat, and you'll understand that it's not a case of "we cope just fine, why can't you?"
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Isn't it really down to the humidity moreso than the actual temperature? It's been incredibly dry the past few days, so everybody's been drinking more.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 pm

The British summer is merciless.
It either pisses down 24 7 or burns!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Isn't it really down to the humidity moreso than the actual temperature? It's been incredibly dry the past few days, so everybody's been drinking more.

Yep, but I never paid attention when we were taught about air pressure n shit, so I don't have the knowledge to make comparisons.

But yeah, I've found the best way to deal with it (in my stuffy and air-deprived-as-fuck studio) is to open all windows, then leave the door open only slightly ajar, going so far as to put things on either side to keep it still. You get a small enough breeze to make it tolerable.

Can't do it in offices though because they're all fitted with fire doors, which you aren't allowed to prop open due to health & safety. But it's fine for a bus to have the heating on even when it's 28°C.

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Yet because we're British, the last words of these heatwave victims are likely to be "it's just a bit... a bit too hot, isn't it?"

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:50 pm

^I dunno if this topic has added extra awesomeness to your name, or if your name just added extra awesomeness to this topic. Either way, it would've been criminal for you not to post in here for that reason alone.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:00 pm

I chose it as a pre-emptive mockery of the dead. The Shenmue connection was just a happy coincidence.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby silent killer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:56 pm

You know, those amounts of deaths are ridiculous. I mean 760 people died in 80F temps. The heat wave that hit the US also affected places like Alaska. Nobody died there despite their average summer temperature being like 50 or 60. What are you guys doing over there. You guys need to get naked more often.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Next

Return to Off Topic