I deactivated my Facebook

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: I deactivated my Facebook

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:35 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: It's apparently never truly deleted.

[/foil hat]

I agree with Thief, FB is just a communication app, a tool, it's how one uses the tool. I use it like nearly every other pleb, but there are a surprising amount of old folk retired in a foreign place keeping up with relatives through FB and other people using it for "decent" purposes too...

I've heard about it before. That's another good reason to be very careful what kind of data you give FB. Well, I won't have to worry about that anymore. :mrgreen:

Not a big deal anyway. I never used my real name, real profile picture, etc. and have always been very careful about how to use FB in general. Of course FB themselves probably still know who I really am but I didn't want other people, especially employers, coworkers, teachers, casual acquaintances etc. to find me.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:48 am

You can permanently delete your facebook account if you wish -- they just don't advertise it very well.

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

Thief has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:01 am

I think what SEF was referring to was that it is never really deleted from their servers.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:52 am

^that.

The point that Hyo makes about people being able to find you through doing a Google of your name/e-mail address is a good one too, there are a few settings that aren't switched on by default that probably should be...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Yeah, I had to change a lot of settings on my facebook in order to make it more private. I'm not particular worried about any security issues involving my name or whatever, but I really just don't like people bothering me on facebook -- like people I hardly know.

Thief has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Yes, what I was trying to say was that once something is on FB, it basically belongs to them. They might take off your profile from the website when you ask them to delete it, but will they really delete the data? That's uncertain.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:05 pm

So what's the point of this topic exactly? A person deactivates their facebook. Woot woot. And then it turns into a topic about tin foil hats?

Ok,Shengoro, thanks for letting us know you have deactivated your Facebook. :nice!:

Peter has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Previous

Return to Off Topic