Overrated and underrated movies

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby OL » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:53 am

Riku wrote:
Hazuki-San wrote:i can watch it over and over again.

Go on your not wanted here.

:lol:
Oh, I lawled. I lawled hard.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:18 am

Overated:

Star Trek films (Hides from fans)
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Riku wrote:Overated:

Star Trek films (Hides from fans)

I Stab you and even number of times but on the odd numbers I do not stab you.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:Reservoir Dogs underrated? Empire Strikes Back underrated? Citizen Kane underrated? :-s
I think I've heard it all now...

Please read my entire post, and you'll understand why I think they are underrated. Thanks.

If you're too lazy, I'll try and explain in more detail here.

Reservoir Dogs in my mind is underrated because people get so caught up in Pulp Fiction and Tarantino's later films to really appreciate it. It is a fantastic movie in my mind, and did what Pulp Fiction did before Pulp Fiction did it.

Empire Strikes Back, people who are not hardcore Star Wars fans I feel don't take it seriously as one of the best movies ever because it has Star Wars attached to it. But it really is a fantastic piece of cinema.

And like I already stated clearly, with Citizen Kane it seems that only I and really old, pretentious film critics really enjoy this film. Other people just state it's the best ever because of what it did technically and the story behind it. But I quite liked watching it myself.

I read your post, I'm not twelve years of age, I am not an ignoramus. The point still stands, we're talking about films that are overrated and underrated. Overrated meaning rated too highly, and praised too much by critics and audiences, films that enter the top 100 movies list once too often and so on. Underrated meaning overlooked gems (which those films you mentioned were definitely not), films that never get the recognition they deserved, cult hits and so and so forth. The Empire Strikes Back, Citizen Kane and Reservoir Dogs hardly constitute as underrated, since lets face it, everyone who is viewing topic who knows anything about film will have heard of those movies, in fact, many people here will regard those films as being well made, hardly underrated now is it? I get your point, when Empire Strikes Back is faced against the casual film fan, it is often looked at as being a nerdy film because it is part of the Star Wars franchise, right? Not really, most of my friends regard that film in high regard, myself included, and to be honest, I don't feel like it has been shunned at all.

Regarding Citizen Kane, it often enters the top 3 in the top 100 movies of all time, in [insert generic film magazine here]. This film gets the kudos it deserves, so it isn't just enjoyed by the old, crabby audiences who watch films only from the days of yore, it's still rated very highly. And if the IMDb list (#30 in the top 100) is anything to go by, that the modern audiences appreciate the film too. You said the film is not appreciated by people of your age group, lets say, by your friends? By that standard which you have set, you could say that Elvis Presley isn't respected in the music genre as much as he should be by your friends. It's a moot point, Elvis is still a legend, with opinions divided over his actual quality as a musician. Same goes for Citizen Kane, you can defy the movie, but not its status.

My point is, the films you mentioned are all very well known, well regarded films, Reservoir Dogs is often considered a modern classic, Empire Strikes Back is the most popular Star Wars film and Citizen Kane is a well received movie by the general consensus.

I never accused you of being ignorant. I know you are not. Those movies from my perception are underrated from the stipulations I was using. I know they are not actually underrated from the general critics' consensus. I'm done talking about this.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Spokane » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Overrated= Anything by Michael Moore
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Overated

Seven Samurai
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Oldboy
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Godfather
The Ran
American Beauty
The Last Samurai
The Shawshank Redemption
Raging Bull
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring
City of God
Pulp Fiction
The Godfather II
The Shining
Kingdom of Heaven: Directors Cut
House of Flying Daggers
Apocalpyto
Unforgiven
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:55 pm

^ I await Clint's reply.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm already digging my grave.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm

I agree with Eternal Sunshine being overrated.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Clint » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:31 am

Riku wrote:I'm already digging my grave.

Nah, it's cool. :lol:
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby JordanC » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:16 am

I agree with a few of them, in fact I think a few of those films aren't too great:

Apocalypto was alright, not entirely sure about it's factual accuracy or it's assumption that foreign tribes were nothing but blood-thirsty savages ... so much so that their entire civilisation was based upon it.

Godfather / Godfather II - Very well made, excellent acting, superb direction, but I really don't like that type of film.

Definately agree with a lot of the films on Clint's top list, particularly with Oldboy and Eternal Sunshine.
JordanC
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby OL » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:55 am

Oldboy and Eternal Sunshine are overrated.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:13 pm

Slumdog Millionaire
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Clint » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Old Man OL wrote:Oldboy and Eternal Sunshine are overrated.

don't push me, boy.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby mike_sleva » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:07 pm

If by overrated/underrated we're also talking over/under appreciated (meaning Oscars and such) then:

Overrated: Schindler's List, Gladiator, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, Slumdog Millionaire, Rocky, Superman, Stanley Kubrick.

Underrated: The Dark Knight (I know it made a zillion dollars but not even a nomination??), Zodiac, Pi, Zoolander, First Blood, Stanley Kubrick.
mike_sleva
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic