What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby OL » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:08 pm

Caught most of Jackie Chan's First Strike this morning. Always a good way to start the day, with an old Jackie Chan flick.
The movie is pretty poor (it doesn't even have original music; it's all stock soundtrack stuff :lol: ), but the action is still just as entertaining as ever.
This fight scene is still one of my favorites of his:

phpBB [video]
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:54 pm

^ Always a good time with old Jackie Chan. Apparently he has plans to make a Rush Hour 4. Chris Tucker will surely ask for a billion dollars this time.

phpBB [video]
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:11 am

Jurassic World.

After some 2/3rds of bullshit, the ending pretty much made up for it. Even as ridiculous as it was, it was really a crowd pleaser.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Rakim » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:54 am

^ I thought the opposite. I liked the middle and beginning, but thought the ending was a bit lame.
Particularly the raptor and T-Rex basically broing it out and not killing each or the people after taking down the Indominus.

As a whole I really enjoyed the movie, though.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Those were the ridiculous parts.

As if a T-Rex would give a shit that a Raptor would help it, but whatever. Not to mention the Mosasaur taking out the Indominus (lol) because they edged it conveniently close to the pool. It seemed like a big tag team that conveniently worked itself out, not because the Raptor was smart enough to know what the pool contained and edged it closer there. It's just because, you know...because.

Other than that great throwback in the middle, I thought the rest of it was blehy-mehy. Too much talking between characters I generally didn't give a crap about. No charisma like Sam Niel, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, even the bratty kids were more lovable then this new set of bratty kids. Unless you wanna argue Chris Pratt is charismatic, and whenever he wasn't annoying he was.

"I was with the Navy, not the Navajo" is probably one of the greatest lines I heard in cinema lately.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Rakim
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Branded to Kill.
Been meaning to watch this for a long damn time. I got it last year during a little spot where I was swiping up whatever yakuza movies I could find, only to discover that this isn't really a yakuza film so much as just a movie about assassins. But it's probably one of the most off-kilter, avant-garde assassin movies ever made. I know El Topo is cited by Suda51 as one of the big influences on No More Heroes, but I have to imagine this was an influence as well, with the whole "ranked killers" thing. So much ridiculousness, such an absurd editing style, so many cool pieces of visual design and inventive violence (even though most of it is completely off-the-wall unrealistic). I always wondered why this movie has so much cred in sort of "art film" circles, and now I totally get it.
The only thing I can count against it is that there's so much potential for even more wackiness, but it never quite gets there. There are some really interesting characters, but aside from the protagonist, they're never explored quite enough. Would love to know more about the protagonist's death-obsessed mistress, or the hitman we see early on who's constantly wiping his gun and dusting himself off with a handkerchief (he also covers himself with his own jacket just before he dies, which made me laugh).

I'd already been developing a story of my own about an assassin that was set to be a bit weird, but now I'm inspired to go even further with the absurdity of it. Finding influence in all sorts of places recently.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Just watched Deliverance for the first time, not a great Sunday night movie before bed. :| Prior to that I watched the original Terminator at my local cinema who are screening it in the run up to Genisys being released. I actually prefer it to T2 in a lot of ways although my mates laughing at the dated special effects detracted from the experience somewhat . :P
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby JaySw34 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Rambo First Blood part 2
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:54 am

Terminator Genisys.

Sucks so hard. Arnie makes it watchable at times, but oh my god, everything else is horrible.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby ÐÃ ß×® » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:03 am

Kenny wrote: Terminator Genisys.

Sucks so hard. Arnie makes it watchable at times, but oh my god, everything else is horrible.

Khalese needs her platinum hair back? :lol:

Watching The Butler right now on Netlix.
ÐÃ ß×®
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kenny » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl.

There are moments that completely don't work, like at all. Awkward angles (like the horizontal one they use sometimes), really bad dialogue, even worse cringe worthy humor.

But there are also times it REALLY works. Incredibly beautiful shots, very good dialogue, and hilarious one liners. It felt like they needed to weed out the good from the bad more but overall, there were way more hits than misses. This shits all over that overrated piece of crap The Fault in Our Stars, this is a better movie about kids with cancer (never thought I would say that).

And olivia cooke is cute as fuck.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Going to see Jurassic World again tonight with my wife. She hasn't seen it yet. It was a great movie. Not as good as the first, naturally, but it was much better than the other two sequels.

This is the first movie I've seen twice in theaters since the first Hobbit movie, and that was only because I saw it in 48fps the first time and wanted to see it normally to make sure I wasn't missing anything that held it back from being a better movie. I wasn't missing anything. The whole trilogy was underwhelming. I'm just glad they started with LOTR and then moved to the Hobbit.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Peter is probably going to make fun of me for this but... The Muppet Movie (1979) :lol:

Caught some of it over the weekend when it came on TV, it was a long forgotten child hood favorite of mine so I watched it all the way through today, what a nostalgia trip. The main song of the film "The Rainbow Connection" great piece of music. What a very classy and high quality childrens film, but also has plenty of adult humor and themes in there as well. I can see why I liked it so much as a kid, but its been over 20 years since I last saw it. My childhood throwback binges continue...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Naw dude, cant beat a bit of the old Muppetry!

Love it. Never gets boring.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Thief » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:54 pm

I think Wet Hot American Summer is my favorite movie and I only just saw it for the first time four days ago.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic