Overrated and underrated movies

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 pm

How do you list Kubrick as both overrated and Underrated?

That cancels itself out.
:?

btw Spencer never says anything but hates me prob because I think he is overrated) :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Clint » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:31 pm

The Oscars are a fucking joke and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Rourke should have won this year, Crowe should have won for Beautiful Mind (snubbed because of his victory the year before) and Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely robbed for his performance in Gangs.

Silly politics.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby [mYLES] » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Clint wrote:
Old Man OL wrote:Oldboy and Eternal Sunshine are overrated.

don't push me, boy.

How is eternal sunshine overrated? Barely anyone knows about it, and besides, the movie is boss.

Whenever I watch movies, they are NEVER at the Oscars. Oscars seem to hate the movies I like.

Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely robbed for his performance in Gangs.

Completly agree. Amazing film.
[mYLES]
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jed » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:50 pm

The academy are a bunch of racist fags. Crouching tiger hidden dragon was the only asian movie to win best foreign film in 50 odd years(and to be nominated I think) Year after year no asian movies are nominated, they always butt lick the french who can only make movies with lots of nudity because that's the only thing that can keep their viewers interested when watching their overrated art flicks.

And how the hell did CHICAGO beat THE PIANIST for best picture?!?!?!?! And Shakespeare in love beat Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful!!!! They must have been under the influence of illegal substances when they made those decisions.

Oh and Infernal Affairs wasn't even nominated for best foreign film, but The Departed won best picture....theres something fishy going on there.
Jed
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Ocelot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Most underrated movies are The Fountain and The Man From Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/
Ocelot
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mike_sleva » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:55 pm

How do you list Kubrick as both overrated and Underrated?

That cancels itself out.

I think Kubrick is overrated in the sense that so many people think EVERY film he makes is so perfect and beyond criticism. His style is very mechanical and deliberate which works amazingly for some of his films but not for others. Because he's such an "auteur" and has only made a few movies, people lionize him.

I think he's underrated in the sense that he never won best director, which is bullshit. The man made 2001, The Shining, and A Clockwork Orange; some of the most influential movies of all time. He went his whole life without being rewarded for it and his protegee, Spielberg, already has two.

The Oscars are a fucking joke and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I agree with the sentiment but I think they're important in the sense that they help legitimize and validate movies and the people who make movies. Hollywood TELLS us that movies are big and important and they use the Oscars to hammer it in our heads. And it works. Videogames don't have anything close to the Oscars and that's why they'll always exist in the shadow of movies in terms of respectability.
mike_sleva
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Clint » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Jed wrote:The academy are a bunch of racist fags. Crouching tiger hidden dragon was the only asian movie to win best foreign film in 50 odd years(and to be nominated I think) Year after year no asian movies are nominated, they always butt lick the french who can only make movies with lots of nudity because that's the only thing that can keep their viewers interested when watching their overrated art flicks.

And how the hell did CHICAGO beat THE PIANIST for best picture?!?!?!?! And Shakespeare in love beat Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful!!!! They must have been under the influence of illegal substances when they made those decisions.

Oh and Infernal Affairs wasn't even nominated for best foreign film, but The Departed won best picture....theres something fishy going on there.

Politics.

Play as someone homosexual or retarded and you will win an oscar.

Give a groundbreaking performance and you will probably be snubbed.

There is no balance. Denzel played Denzel in Training Day, the only excuse they have for Crowe not winning in Beautiful Mind is the fact he was awarded for his role in Gladiator the year before.

And don't even get me started on Shawshank not winning a single Oscar.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Spokane » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Movies kids of my generation need to watch: All the old Clint Eastwood ones.

Not saying they are underrated, but I love em'.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby JoePesci » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:13 am

Jed wrote:The academy are a bunch of racist fags. Crouching tiger hidden dragon was the only asian movie to win best foreign film in 50 odd years(and to be nominated I think) Year after year no asian movies are nominated, they always butt lick the french who can only make movies with lots of nudity because that's the only thing that can keep their viewers interested when watching their overrated art flicks.

Well that's funny since the Academy gave the award for Best Foreign Language film to Departures this year. Which is from Japan.

Also, Eternal Sunshine is not in any way overrated. People who think films like that are overrated obviously just don't understand the complexity and beauty of it. A brilliant concept executed with a vision of the human mind that I think we can all relate to. The raw emotion and reality of love and loss is directed perfectly by Michel Gondry. Plus, two stellar performances from Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. I think it should have been at least nominated for Best Picture.

Underrated: In Bruges, Snow Angels, The Visitor, Into The Wild, Sunshine (2007), Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance (to me better than Oldboy), Road to Perdition, Revolutionary Road, Precious a.k.a. Push, Five Minutes Of Heaven, Blood Simple, Joint Security Area, Catch Me If You Can

Overrated: The Dark Knight, Cloverfield, Shaun Of The Dead (I actually like it a lot though), Napolean Dynamite, The Reader, Steven Spielberg and Kevin Smith films.
JoePesci
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:31 am

Kevin Smith one damn funny guy and smart as hell,but a fucking terrible film maker.
Cloverfield was trash other than lost JJ Abrhams has not made anything I care much for and even the new trek is not looking good to me as it messes with canon too much leaves out what made trek and looks to be overfilled with action to appeal to mainstream.

Napolean Dynamite I don't see why so many people like it..it's just simply boring unfunny and retarded.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Jed » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:19 am

JoePesci wrote:

Well that's funny since the Academy gave the award for Best Foreign Language film to Departures this year. Which is from Japan.

Also, Eternal Sunshine is not in any way overrated. People who think films like that are overrated obviously just don't understand the complexity and beauty of it. A brilliant concept executed with a vision of the human mind that I think we can all relate to. The raw emotion and reality of love and loss is directed perfectly by Michel Gondry. Plus, two stellar performances from Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. I think it should have been at least nominated for Best Picture.

Underrated: In Bruges, Snow Angels, The Visitor, Into The Wild, Sunshine (2007), Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance (to me better than Oldboy), Road to Perdition, Revolutionary Road, Precious a.k.a. Push, Five Minutes Of Heaven, Blood Simple, Joint Security Area, Catch Me If You Can

Overrated: The Dark Knight, Cloverfield, Shaun Of The Dead (I actually like it a lot though), Napolean Dynamite, The Reader, Steven Spielberg and Kevin Smith films.

Okay thats weird, I saw the highlights and I swear some french comedy love story won the award....
Jed
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby [mYLES] » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:10 am

Kevin Smith gave us Clerks and Clerks 2.

Nuff said.
[mYLES]
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Underrated: A.I.

I think people didn't know what to make of this film when it first came out. I thought it was great, a Kubrick concept with a Spielberg touch. Then again films with Kubrick's involvement aren't really highly regarded until years later.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Ryudo™ wrote:How do you list Kubrick as both overrated and Underrated?

That cancels itself out.

btw Spencer never says anything but hates me prob because I think he is overrated) :P

Oh come on, how could anyone hate you? :)

Now, come here big guy and give this old feeble man a hug.
*Behind his back: :x * I will kill you...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Ryudo™ wrote:How do you list Kubrick as both overrated and Underrated?

That cancels itself out.

Oh come on, how could anyone hate you? :)

Now, come here big guy and give this old feeble man a hug.
*Behind his back: :x * I will kill you...

I'm a fat asshole and I crush you!

I crush you like bug I does!
Cuddly and evil!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic