UK vote to leave the European Union

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: ...

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:07 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
shredingskin wrote: Appart from immigration policies, what were the reason people voted to leave ?? I just can't find the economic logic.

that's the only reason they voted that way. tells you how bigoted, racist/xenophobic most brits are....

Where are you from?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: UK vote to leave the European Union

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:52 pm

drunkensailor wrote:on the long run this won't affect europe in a negative way. on the contrary like I said.

So why were countries like France and Germany (as well as outside countries like America and Japan) so insistant that the UK stay in the EU? This will have a bigger effect on the EU than you are letting yourself believe. Already France is thinking about following Britain out the door, along with Austria, Finland, Hungary and... Netherlands, where you are from, right? This could potentially cause a domino effect.

the uk are majorly fucked now though. stock markets crashing and only trying to be kept alive by words of the english bank that is now going to put the uk into major debt (another 500 billion pounds) just to evade a stock market crisis for now.

I don't think the UK are "majorly fucked" as you so bluntly put it. We don't really know how this will pan out just yet. It's too early to make such drastic assumptions.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Most of his arguments seem to be emotional driven. I wouldn't waste my time arguing with someone like that who is clearly clueless about the situation in Britain and hasn't looked beyond some headlines and forum posts about what this means for the future of the country.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:12 pm

drunkensailor wrote: a disaster on the long run for the uk and a blessing on the long run for europe; with one giant less to slow-down european progress.

The EU relies on the giants to pump money into the smaller countries. Ireland was a third world country before it joined the EU and it was through the money places like the UK, Germany and France put into it that has helped it so much. With the EU expanding east and possibly having Scotland join it they will need the big countries to help out even more which they will get pissed off about. If the UK makes a success of this which I really think we will then places like France and Germany will have seen that leaving can work out and be looking at the possibility.

drunkensailor wrote:
shredingskin wrote: Appart from immigration policies, what were the reason people voted to leave ?? I just can't find the economic logic.

that's the only reason they voted that way. tells you how bigoted, racist/xenophobic most brits are....

Pretty ironic that you accuse the majority of us being xenophobic yet prove yourself to be exactly that in the same sentence.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Amir » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:49 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

Pretty ironic that you accuse the majority of us being xenophobic yet prove yourself to be exactly that in the same sentence.

phpBB [video]

Amir has received 2 thanks from: Jibby, Mr357
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Re: ...

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:44 pm

drunkensailor wrote:

"bigot is a term of abuse aimed at a prejudiced or closed-minded person, especially one who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups"

It seems that the brexit will fuck up germany more than the uk. But they'll probably end up having a trade agreement similar to the one it's in place to keep their products there.

I would love to see Podemos win in Spain, the EU will turn into a mess pretty shortly.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:03 pm

^The EU ministers can throw their little tantrums however that doesn't change that they need the UK as a trading partner so as much as Brussels shout their petty threats I doubt that individual EU countries will be that willing to back them. Merkel has already started trying to calm things down. I don't think EU members will be willing to boycott the world's 5th largest economy over juncker's pride.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Snakiest » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:30 am

Everything is going to be fine in 10 years. The EU didn't start as it is now, and both the UK and the EU will figure out the best thing for them. A few heads will fall, and some will get rich in the process. Welcome to the natural flow of things, gentlemen. Let's enjoy the third coming of lord Shenmue instead. -)
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:40 am

Sonoshee wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:on the long run this won't affect europe in a negative way. on the contrary like I said.

So why were countries like France and Germany (as well as outside countries like America and Japan) so insistant that the UK stay in the EU? This will have a bigger effect on the EU than you are letting yourself believe. Already France is thinking about following Britain out the door, along with Austria, Finland, Hungary and... Netherlands, where you are from, right? This could potentially cause a domino effect.

the uk are majorly fucked now though. stock markets crashing and only trying to be kept alive by words of the english bank that is now going to put the uk into major debt (another 500 billion pounds) just to evade a stock market crisis for now.

I don't think the UK are "majorly fucked" as you so bluntly put it. We don't really know how this will pan out just yet. It's too early to make such drastic assumptions.

first of all, the bigger the EU the better. for economic purposes. but have you heard recent news? europe wants uk out rather today than tomorrow.

also those countries you named won't leave europe, because they are more europe-minder or there won't be a referendum
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:47 am

Riku Rose wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: a disaster on the long run for the uk and a blessing on the long run for europe; with one giant less to slow-down european progress.

The EU relies on the giants to pump money into the smaller countries. Ireland was a third world country before it joined the EU and it was through the money places like the UK, Germany and France put into it that has helped it so much. With the EU expanding east and possibly having Scotland join it they will need the big countries to help out even more which they will get pissed off about. If the UK makes a success of this which I really think we will then places like France and Germany will have seen that leaving can work out and be looking at the possibility.

drunkensailor wrote:

you do realize that most countries do and have paid back all this money pumped into their economy? there is not one nation that put in more money than what they've gotten out of it. not even the netherlands who are the biggest financier percentage-wise of europe.

the uk are fucked in the sense that for one instance now they have to separately make trade agreements with all nations of europe apart. I can't even imagine how much money and bureaucracy that will cost. not to mention extra import and export taxes.

thanks to the EU there will be more economic giants in the coming years, like poland, who are now investing heavily in EU.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:11 am

drunkensailor wrote:first of all, the bigger the EU the better. for economic purposes. but have you heard recent news? europe wants uk out rather today than tomorrow.

Well, of course they do, since Britain has now voted to leave. There is no more incentive for them to want them to stay :P

also those countries you named won't leave europe, because they are more europe-minder or there won't be a referendum

Hmmm....

Front National leader Marine Le Pen has pledged to hold a French referendum if she emerges victorious in next year's presidential elections.

While for the past two months a Nexit has been on the cards after Dutch voters overwhelmingly rejected a Ukraine-European Union treaty

Details of Berlin's concerns were outlined in a finance ministry strategy document. Angela Merkel's country faces having to pay an extra £2.44billion a year to the annual EU budget once Britain has left.

Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orban, warned that Europe needs to change its ways.

“Brussels must hear the voice of the people, this is the biggest lesson from this decision," he told public radio.

“But Europe is strong only if it can give answers to major issues such as immigration that would strengthen Europe itself and not weaken it. The EU failed to give these answers."

Another critic of the EU, the leader of Poland's ruling party, said that the UK referendum result shows the need for reform of the EU.

“The conclusion is obvious. We need a new European treaty," said Jaroslaw Kaczynski, who heads the Law and Justice party.

“We need a positive reaction, and not persistent movement in the same direction, a direction which has led to crisis," he added.

Tensions are rising across the EU, with Denmark, France, Italy, the Netherlands, and Sweden all facing demands for referendums over Europe.

In a statement, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said: "There is no point beating about the bush: today is a watershed for Europe, it is a watershed for the European unification process."

The European Commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, has said this does not spell the end of the European Union and the bloc has “decades of experience in overcoming crises”.

The Brexit vote is expected to encourage populist parties in Europe to seek similar referendums for their nations.

Foreign ministers of the founding EU states met in Berlin yesterday to try to revive the shattered confidence in the European Union.

The German Foreign Minister Frank Walter Steinmeier, said: “We cannot rush into hectic activity, pretending we have all the answers, but after the British decision we also cannot fall into depression and inactivity.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/683 ... ope-Brexit

Seems to me Europe isn't going to come out of this so wonderfully as you seem to think. They will need to rebuild while possibly accepting the loss of more countries.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:16 am

that is all speculation. I hope you know what happened in france after front national seemed to win the elections?

besides except some bullshit racist populist parties like front national, most parties won EU reforms, which there should.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:48 am

drunkensailor wrote: that is all speculation. I hope you know what happened in france after front national seemed to win the elections?

Isn't it all just speculation, though? Including your judgment of the UK being "fucked"? :)

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:07 am

Exactly, let's just see what happens now. I think we may be in for a storm, but I'd rather think positive for now...

All the packages I send from work to EU countries will now need their commercial invoices after we've properly left though, which will suck. :sad:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:24 am

you do realize that most countries do and have paid back all this money pumped into their economy? there is not one nation that put in more money than what they've gotten out of it. not even the netherlands who are the biggest financier percentage-wise of europe.

I think you're being very emotional here. So countries like Slovakia or Ireland have repaid their debts or are at least trying, but Greece for instance surely haven't and they're not even willing to reform their useless economy. If you want to believe that Greece is ever gonna repay even one of the countless billiions which were spent to keep them in the Euro, keep believing it, but it's still very unlikely to happen.

the uk are fucked in the sense that for one instance now they have to separately make trade agreements with all nations of europe apart. I can't even imagine how much money and bureaucracy that will cost. not to mention extra import and export taxes.

Living in Germany, I can only tell you that I personally hope for our government to give the Brits a very good bilateral trade agreement. The Brits spend a lot more money importing our stuff than we spend importing theirs, so putting punitive tariffs on British goods would be the dumbest thing we could do. We want those Brits to keep buying Benz cars, Rexroth oil rigs, Senvion wind generators and whatnot.

thanks to the EU there will be more economic giants in the coming years, like poland, who are now investing heavily in EU.

Not too sure about Poland being or developing into an economic giant but but the wave of illegal immigration from the Middle East and Africa triggered by Angela Merkel last fall was enough to lead countries like Poland, Sweden, Austria, Denmark, Hungary, Slovakia and Czech Republic to close their borders. And it was also the main reason for the Brits to choose the Brexit, let's not kid ourselves.

Now you are welcome to call most of the Poles, Austrians, Slovaks and Danes racist, but that won't change the fact that the majority of voters in those countries are not willing to accept this kind of mass immigration into their countries. Now if Merkel keeps trying to force the mass immigration on those countries and enforce her plans via the EU, I can easily see some of those countries considering to leave EU or at least the Schengen agreement.

Remember that countries like Austria and Sweden joined the EU as late as 1995 and the Eastern European countries followed around ten years later, so all of those countries have not even been in the EU for a very long time. It would be downright delusional to think they would not even consider leaving an option.

And as for you "bigger is better" argument, you are entitled to your opionion but even in your own country, this opionion is not shared by the majority of the population. Dutch voters clearly voted against the association agreement with Ukraine earlier this year.

Now let me say this again, I'm not criticizing you or your opinions but I think you should try to differntiate and see the other side's points as well. Just because they don't share your opinion it doesn't make people racist or dumb or their opinions invalid.

As much as I would have loved the Brits to stay in, I can also see a lot of very valid arguments to leave. And even a lot more arguments not "take revenge" on them for leaving. Stay nice to those Britons. 8)

Hyo Razuki has received 2 thanks from: Amir, St. Elmo's Fire
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic