General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby Supa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:10 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:
phpBB [video]

New Dragon Ball Z movie called The Resurrection of Frieza. I really like they are expanding upon the frieza storyline, I feel like its one of the best parts of the show and that fans know the most about this particular story arc. Alot of people feel the anime/manga should have ended after the frieza story arc like toriyama originally intended. It looks like some good ole fun between the z force and friezas army, I think it will be a nostalgia trip too to some extent. My only real gripe is they are giving Frieza another form, his ultimate golden form or something? We will see what their explanation of his new form is. Also, I hope Vegeta kills Frieza this time lol

Even though I enjoy DBZGT, I've gotta say that the Frieza arc was way too drawn out for my liking. I've seen the entirety of the saga, but that Frieza and Goku fight lasted like four months. Ridiculous. Power up, gain upper hand. Other side does the same. Rinse, wash, and repeat. It got repetitive.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:18 am

im right there with you about naruto man, I started watching that show in 2002 for christs sake. I really love that anime, and it has been an investment to watch, but I get such a satisfaction from the really good episodes that it some how makes it all worth while, but its been years and I have basically skipped all the filler in the entire show. I hope shippuden ends where the manga ends.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Cave Johnson » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:44 pm

phpBB [video]

Just started watching this after I found out one of the characters was in J-stars Victory vs. If you're a fan of FOTS, and delinquent gang style comedy, then give this show a try. Hokuto no gun has all the subs.

Cave Johnson has received a thanks from: OL
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby Ziming » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:12 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Rakim, Supa
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:03 pm

Pretty brilliant and on point. ^ This is exactly the kind of people that I was talking about in whatever thread a few others and I were discussing the English dub versus the Japanese voices in the Shenmue games...the Japanophiles. :)
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:14 am

Finished the first Vampire Hunter D novel the other day, so I figured now would be a good time to finally rewatch the 1985 movie, which I haven't actually seen since catching it on one of the Sci-Fi channel's anime marathons way back in '93 or '94. I remembered good things of course, which is part of why I still have a soft spot for D (the other part being that the movie Bloodlust is awesome). So there was a slight tinge of nostalgia floating around as I watched it this time.
But watching it now though, especially after having read the book it was based on... the movie really wasn't very good. :lol:
I mean, it has its moments, with some very cool visuals here and there, but overall the story feels incredibly rushed, tons of important lore elements are left out of it, and it just ends up feeling a little hollow by the end. Not terrible, I guess; it's still totally watchable, still an entertaining way to spend an hour and twenty minutes. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's particularly well-made.
So yeah, same old story you hear about so many other things: the book is better.
Still have to say though, there are some really well-animated examples of graphic violence in there. Most of it actually stuck with me over the years; things like Rei-Ginsei getting his head crushed, Chullah getting sliced clean in half by D, and Count Lee pulling a knife out of his eyeball are all really strong visual elements, and I recalled them almost perfectly despite the roughly 20-year time gap. And I normally have a terrible memory.

I'm planning to keep reading the books, and hopefully I'll have finished the third book, Demon Deathchase, by the time Bloodlust comes out on bluray later this year (that was the one Bloodlust was based on).
I remember Bloodlust being a really good flick, mainly because of its visual flair (Kawajiri is usually a great director for stuff like that), but it'll be interesting to see how it compares to its source material.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:10 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/28/85080 ... a-toriyama

Wow, new Dragon Ball series starting this summer in japan. I cant help but be really excited about this, I cant wait to see a trailer or the first episode. I have been waiting a long ass time for them to do this and its finally happening. Compare it to us getting Shenmue 3. FUCK YEAH! EXCITEMENT!!!! :twisted:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 pm

^does dragon ball really need a new series? GT already felt like it was being purposely dragged on for monetary reasons to me. I still love and rewatch the original dragon ball every now and then but this hasn't got me that excited personally.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:04 am

il let you know how good it is. Akira Toriyama is overing the project so im not personally worried about it at all, it apparently takes place 18 years after GT so im not sure exactly how many of the original characters are in the new show.

Also keep in mind I have been anticipating a new dragon ball series since the rumors of DBAF waayyyyy back, so now that they are actually making one, I am definitely curious to see what they are going to do with it.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Supa » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Eighteen years after GT? Goku with gray hair?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Raithos » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Possibly, one day in the hyperbolic time chamber is a year on Earth! lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Correction, it has BEEN 18 years since the last episode of GT came out, not the show taking place 18 years after GT. The show is taking place a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu. I would expect Lord Biris to play a part in the show and for it to be similar to Battle of Gods.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... uly/.87608
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:20 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... day/.87998

Japan has made it official, today is national goku day. Wow... :lol:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Supa » Mon May 11, 2015 1:28 am

So obviously they are trying to forget about GT...
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:03 pm

GT had its problems, but I honestly didnt mind it that much, it had its own vibe that I liked and fit within the DB universe, but the pacing I think is what was too different about it. I love the ending/last episode of GT as well when
goku merges with the eternal dragon/dragon balls, I think it gives him proper closure, even though its kind of perplexing why its happening in the first place, if only it was explained why so it would make more sense.

I hope they arent trying to forget about GT all together, hopefully they are just trying to work around it. Who knows, maybe this new series will explain the ending to GT or set it up so goku finds out why he has to do that by the end of GT (i'll keep dreaming on the explanation for that ending). GT Takes place 5 years after the end of Z, so this show will more or less have a 5 year window to work with over the series time line (assuming they dont disregard GT all together).

Here are some issues: Super Saiyan God, only lord biris can grant goku god mode correct? So where does that leave Super Saiyan 4 in GT? Which is more powerful?

Where has Lord Biris gone during the events of GT? Back in hibernation perhaps? Thats the only thing I can think of.

I think they have to go into this with the mind set that 5 years from the end of DBZ the events of GT happens. I could have sworn in GT they say everything has been peaceful since the defeat of majin buu though, so maybe thats not right. Man... I really need more information about this new series, if Toriyama wants to do his own ending and rework the storyline where GT takes place I think he has every right. There has to be interviews around explaining some of this...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic