Programmers Wanted

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Programmers Wanted

Postby bill cosby » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:46 am

If you are a programmer or know a programmer who is comfortable with the various types of the C programming language please contact me at my email address ([email protected]) as we are assembling a development team to put together a video game that will eventually be released for a current system. Experience is not necessary, knowledge of programming is. This opportunity can greatly benefit anyone who wants to enter into the video game or entertainment industry as both require you to have (usually) a minimum of 2 years experience within the industry prior to applying for a job position within it. The team will be centered in the Northern NJ area but for the moment are accepting anyone with programming knowledge to apply. As this is an independent production we cannot pay our members during the development process but instead offer a split in the final earnings via individual percentages. We hope to release the game in July of next year (7/7/07). We will be working with an original IP and see good fortune coming of it, we are still in the early design phase and hope that prospective teammates come equipped with fresh new ideas as this is a team where every idea is valued but only the good ones are put into use.
bill cosby
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Programmers Wanted

Postby IveBeenCensored » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:26 pm

risingzan7 wrote: as we are assembling a development team to put together a video game that will eventually be released for a current system

uh games for major systems are made by big companies. Little guys don't just get games on Xbox 360. Sounds a little fishy.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby white lotus » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:28 pm

hilarious.
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby Martin » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:42 pm

I'll join, but only if we can make Shenmue III.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Clint » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:46 pm

Please, tell us what the game is about.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Silas » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:29 am

That's not true RenSuzuki, little companies do make big games. But I'm going to say this here and now, they don't recruit in June for a game to be released in July of the following year! There ain't no way this is going to be done, particularly on an amateur basis.

If you have a good idea for a video game, you need to try to raise money to get it made, from venture capitalists maybe. This is not as hard or as daunting as it might seem. But forget about 7/7/07.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby rome » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:51 am

Lol what kind of game you plan on makin?
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby ys » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:12 am

lol A Chuck Norris sig with Finnish on it.

Silas wrote:That's not true RenSuzuki, little companies do make big games. But I'm going to say this here and now, they don't recruit in June for a game to be released in July of the following year! There ain't no way this is going to be done, particularly on an amateur basis.

If you have a good idea for a video game, you need to try to raise money to get it made, from venture capitalists maybe. This is not as hard or as daunting as it might seem. But forget about 7/7/07.

Ah, so you still keep an eye on these boards, Silas? It's been a while since I saw you around.
Anyway, small companies DO indeed make games for the big consoles. I think that Microsoft even wanted to encourage smaller companies to make games for it. Just look at their Live arcade games. And they said they wanted to keep the price of the Xbox360 developments kits down to allow smaller companies to be able to make games for the console. The same goes for the Wii.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby rome » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:32 am

ys wrote:lol A Chuck Norris sig with Finnish on it.

Yea those fuckin n0obs.... :x
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby IveBeenCensored » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:28 pm

Silas wrote:That's not true RenSuzuki, little companies do make big games. But I'm going to say this here and now, they don't recruit in June for a game to be released in July of the following year! There ain't no way this is going to be done, particularly on an amateur basis.

he lives!

What I meant was for consoles it is rare. At least computer games can be distributed on the net, but console games you basically need someone to produce it. Now maybe this is easier than I think it would be, but I think you'd have to have at least a decent company. This guyt doesn't even seem like a company, just some guys who want to get together and make a video game. I bet this ends in nothing.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Thank you for the replys

Postby bill cosby » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:05 pm

Come on guys that’s ruff it’s possible to get a game released even in these EA days
Although the majority of replies where on the somewhat cynical side I am glad it at least received some responses. I’ll try to answer your questions in the order in which they appear.

1. Rensuzuki - Q: uh games for major systems are made by big companies. Little guys don't just get games on Xbox 360. Sounds a little fishy

A: The game will be for a portable system while we where able to come up with a number of uses for the Nintendo Ds but right now we are shooting for the Psp as there is more software available via hacks to develop for the system. This will ultimately reduce costs which will be our advantage over council developers. We are also trying to keep the team relatively small as we will not be able to afford a hundred plus member team. I’m almost positive that if you where to check back and see the development sizes of teams from systems passed to the ones of today the sizes have only increased over the years and that there was a time when small teams could develop great high selling games. In addition I’m not asking for your money so if that’s not what you meant by sounds fishy, please explain so I can clarify it better for you and the rest of the members.

2. Clever Sleazoid Q: hilarious

A: clever

3. Martin Q: I’ll join but only if we get to make Shenmue III

A: I really admire Yu Suzuki and love the Shenmue series but Shenmue is Suzuki’s baby to have any one else other than him and Am2 (which I recently heard has been disbanded and reintegrated into Sega) head the project would not be a faithful continuation of the series. If Yu Suzuki upon seeing the success of this first release decides to give us some of his time and all of his resources I wouldn’t think twice about taking the project. I can’t give you something I don’t own eh?

4. Clint: Q: Please tell us what the game is about.

A: None of the material we have created thus far has been copyrighted. Due to this the information on this project has to be given out in a very delicate way as to not give away the original concepts but inform those who are interested in the project.
1. System: PSP
2. Genre: Plat former /Action/Adventure game (in the veins of Castlevania, Viewtiful Joe, and Most Treasure Games)
3. Design: We will be using a mix of 3D models and 2D sprites with kingdom hearts esque character design
4. Target Audience: Everyone – accessible to and enjoyable for gamers of all ages

B.t.w. great movie list

5. Silas Q: That’s not true Rensuzuki, little companies do make big games. But I’m going to say this here and now, they don’t recruit in June for a game in July of the following year! There ain’t no way this is going to be done, particularly on an amateur basis. If you have a good idea for a video game, you need to try to raise money to get it made, from venture capitalists maybe. This is not hard or as daunting as it might seem. But forget about 7/7/07

A: 1- This development time is to finish game not necessarily the date it will be on store shelves but when development will end.
2- The money won’t become a problem as most of the tools can be acquired for a low cost if not free the team including myself will not get paid until we receive the return from its sales + the major money will be provided by the publisher for mass production of the units as well as system royalty fees.

6. Rome - Q: LOL what kind of game you plan on makin?

A: LOL a good one

7. and finally Rensuzuki Q again: What I meant was for consoles it is rare. At least computer games can be distributed on the net, but console games you basically need someone to produce it. Now maybe this is easier than I think it would be, but I think you'd have to have at least a decent company. This guyt doesn't even seem like a company, just some guys who want to get together and make a video game. I bet this ends in nothing.

A: I’m currently working with another artist who will serve as the projects assistant art director so far its him and I. Obviously Ren you’ve missed the point of this post its to find recruits to form a what you might call a “decent company” (really it’s a development studio) I’ll keep you in my thoughts as I continue development on this project.

“This guyt doesn't even seem like a company, just some guys who want to get together and make a video game. I bet this ends in nothing.”
Will be our equivalent of John Lennon’s Aunt telling him “the guitar is nice as a hobby John but you’ll never make a living out of it” the more I hear people talk like this the more drive it gives me (as well as my other person team as of now) to succeed
bill cosby

Postby IveBeenCensored » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:51 pm

how easy do you think it is to get a producer to sponsor you and actually get the game on store shelves?

Oh and fishy? Well you could get people working on something and then never do anything, just waste their time (soudns stupid, but a guy around here continuously did it.).

Anyways, it sounds like you are legitimate, but I just don't see this thing being finished. And if by some chance it is finished, and good quality, then getting it produced will still be very tough.
Last edited by IveBeenCensored on Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby bill cosby » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:00 pm

nothing worth doing is easy. and nothing is impossible. Any one who trys to sell a game to a publisher will have a better chance of doing so if its a finished product. The fact that publishers like to spend as little money as possible is some thing i am aware of and so by finishing the game which i know is possible, before shopping it around will give us an almost guarenteed line of publishers for which to pitch to as they will only have to worry about the marketing and mass production aspect which removes any worry from them of not having a finished product because it is already done. The less work they have to do the better and i'll even manage the marketing aspects of the game inhouse because most publishers don't advertise games well enough especially for portable systems.
bill cosby

Postby IveBeenCensored » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:14 pm

risingzan7 wrote:nothing worth doing is easy. and nothing is impossible. Any one who trys to sell a game to a publisher will have a better chance of doing so if its a finished product. The fact that publishers like to spend as little money as possible is some thing i am aware of and so by finishing the game which i know is possible, before shopping it around will give us an almost guarenteed line of publishers for which to pitch to as they will only have to worry about the marketing and mass production aspect which removes any worry from them of not having a finished product because it is already done. The less work they have to do the better and i'll even manage the marketing aspects of the game inhouse because most publishers don't advertise games well enough especially for portable systems.

but its a question of contacts. You may have a great product, but executives at a production company are unlikely to give you a chance to even demonstrate it. If you even got in contact with one I'd be amazed. If your uncle is a high ranking executive at Sega or some production company (SEGA does produce others games) then you'd at least get a chance to show them your product, but some game made by a bunch of volunteers is unlikely to see much of a chance. Its unfortunate, but thats the way it is. Anyways, best of luck to you.

By the way, this is purely curiosity, but how old are you?
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby bill cosby » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:01 pm

Regarding contacts no one is unreachable there are also many opportunities to get the publishers to come to you at any of many independent game developer conferences/ shows. As for already established connections within the industry or at Sega for that matter have yet to be established. We can also buy advertising space in a magazine (interviews are promotional) as well as websites which will raise interest in the public and will in turn attract more publishers to seek us out. If we cannot establish a direct contact with a publisher we can connect with someone who does. That’ll come later, first we finish the game.

I aim to amaze.

I was born on 12/18/86 and so I am 19 to answer your question.

Thanks for the best of luck

Please by our game when it comes out ;)

http://www.myspace.com/risingzan7 for more info about me or for those who need to talk in realtime talk on msn messanger i use the same name (risingzan7)
bill cosby

Next

Return to Off Topic