What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby OL » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:32 pm

So there's this show The Gifted, which is basically an X-Men show without the usual X-Men characters. I'm not sure that it's actually supposed to take place within any established timeline or anything, but it seems to have taken a path slightly similar to that seen in Logan; the X-Men, as an organization, no longer exists, and the government is cracking down on mutant activity harder than ever. It's almost like it takes place between the death of the X-Men and the start of the movie Logan (though, like I said, I don't think it's actually supposed to take place in that continuity; it just feels like a similar setup).
And the show is, surprisingly, pretty damn decent. You wouldn't entirely know it based on commercials and whatnot (where you'd probably get the impression that it's a way-too-serious drama with a cast of way-too-pretty actors), but the story is pretty fun so far, and the cast is all surprisingly likable. It doesn't debase itself to the point of literal comedy like most of Marvel's movies these days; rather, it hits that that great medium between being tense enough to take seriously, while also having enough of a lighthearted side to keep it enjoyable. One or two moments aside (which, I'll admit, are pretty bad), it actually avoids being all too cheesy as well, which it very well could have been.
For an old comic fan like me, it's nice to see characters like Thunderbird, Blink, and Polaris getting so much exposure too. Hopefully there are a lot more character cameos and whatnot to come, but for a main cast, it's really good so far. Also has some original characters as well, namely this guy Eclipse, the actor for whom kind of gives me a light Oscar Isaac kind of vibe (which is a very good thing, of course).
The show was created by Matt Nix, who created Burn Notice back in the day. So far it's got at least three actors from the cast of that show, so I'm sitting here now hoping we'll eventually see Jeffrey Donovan and Bruce Campbell at some point too. I'll totally lose my shit if something like that happens.

So with this show being as decent as it is, and with Legion being as batshit amazing as it was (can't say that enough), plus Logan and Deadpool and all that excellence going on... again, Fox is doing surprisingly well by the X-Men right now. Really nice to see. Even better, since certain other comicbook shows *cough*GothamSupergirlTheFlash*cough* are such absolute, utter shit.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

OL wrote: So there's this show The Gifted, which is basically an X-Men show without the usual X-Men characters. I'm not sure that it's actually supposed to take place within any established timeline or anything, but it seems to have taken a path slightly similar to that seen in Logan; the X-Men, as an organization, no longer exists, and the government is cracking down on mutant activity harder than ever. It's almost like it takes place between the death of the X-Men and the start of the movie Logan (though, like I said, I don't think it's actually supposed to take place in that continuity; it just feels like a similar setup).
And the show is, surprisingly, pretty damn decent. You wouldn't entirely know it based on commercials and whatnot (where you'd probably get the impression that it's a way-too-serious drama with a cast of way-too-pretty actors), but the story is pretty fun so far, and the cast is all surprisingly likable. It doesn't debase itself to the point of literal comedy like most of Marvel's movies these days; rather, it hits that that great medium between being tense enough to take seriously, while also having enough of a lighthearted side to keep it enjoyable. One or two moments aside (which, I'll admit, are pretty bad), it actually avoids being all too cheesy as well, which it very well could have been.
For an old comic fan like me, it's nice to see characters like Thunderbird, Blink, and Polaris getting so much exposure too. Hopefully there are a lot more character cameos and whatnot to come, but for a main cast, it's really good so far. Also has some original characters as well, namely this guy Eclipse, the actor for whom kind of gives me a light Oscar Isaac kind of vibe (which is a very good thing, of course).
The show was created by Matt Nix, who created Burn Notice back in the day. So far it's got at least three actors from the cast of that show, so I'm sitting here now hoping we'll eventually see Jeffrey Donovan and Bruce Campbell at some point too. I'll totally lose my shit if something like that happens.

So with this show being as decent as it is, and with Legion being as batshit amazing as it was (can't say that enough), plus Logan and Deadpool and all that excellence going on... again, Fox is doing surprisingly well by the X-Men right now. Really nice to see. Even better, since certain other comicbook shows *cough*GothamSupergirlTheFlash*cough* are such absolute, utter shit.

(in Bill Compton voice)

Hwhy, hwould hanyone watch a show with the hwone, the only Bill Compton, hwithout his beloved Sookeh?!

I dimissed it because the commercials (which run CONSTANTLY on football telecasts) make it look like every other lame, derivative drama that CBS/Fox comes out with every year, but good to hear that its getting a fanbase.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Why is nobody talking about Stranger Things 2?

Superb series.
I even watched the after-show thing on Netflix, hosted by the guy who played Dean Pelton in Community! I had no idea he was basically being himself in Community, since he talks pretty much as camp as he did when playing the Dean! :lol:
The after show has an awesome intro too..

phpBB [video]
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:50 pm

It was alright. Didn't take me by surprise like the first season did, so it didn't have quite as much of an effect, but it was a fine enough continuation. I have to say, I didn't give a single shit about any of the characters' "romantic" interactions, so it felt like way too much time was wasted on that shite. And a lot of stuff was really predictable overall;
Let's face it, Bob didn't stand a fucking chance, and I saw that from the damn start. A shame, because he was one of the few parts of the show that came close to matching the fun of the kids' interactions. Sean Astin is likable.

A few other problems, a few things I'm indifferent about. That whole Chicago episode was just... eh. Not particularly enjoyable or interesting at all. I could do without seeing any of those characters again.
To be honest, the entire show ought to be focusing on this group of kids, seeing all of this crazy shit mainly from their perspective. To me, that was the primary appeal of the first season. But so much time is wasted -- both in the first and the second seasons -- in the periphery on other characters that most of it feels like boring filler.
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the show overall, but I feel like it wastes its potential for legitimate fun because of stuff like that. I think the kids and their childish approaches to various situations is the obvious appeal, and maybe having a little focus on Hopper would balance things nicely. But Michael's sister getting drunk and breaking up with her boyfriend? Distressing over the death of Bertha or whatever the fuck her name was from the first season? Will's clingy-ass mom constantly freaking out?
Meh.
Gimme more of these likable 80s kids playing D&D and arcade games, and somehow tying that in to this weird cosmic threat going on. Everything else is just there to fill time.
Like I said, I do really like the show, but if you want to know why people aren't really talking that much about it... I think that's a big part of it. The luster has worn off quite a bit.
OL
Shenmue III

What TV series are you watching?

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm

I loved Stranger Things 2.
And in regards to the Chicago episode and characters in it, it also wasn’t my favorite but in the end I love that they did it because it gives so much more appreciation for Hawkins as a setting and all the characters in it. It in fact enhances the series as a whole with new perspective and depth to the world.
That being said, I hope they never go back to Chicago again.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Just watched one of the cringiest episodes of Batman TAS from Season 4 "Critters". My god was this episode bad, they kept going with the in context jokes and they made fun of southern people and farmers in the most cringiest ways and the images of batman batgirl and robin fighting giant mutated farm animals really made you raise an eye brow.

That being said it was especially surprising after one of the best episodes in the whole series "Over the Edge" just a couple episodes before where it starts out with Gordon and the police crew chasing bruce through the wayne estate making it obvious they know batmans identity and everything, that was one of the most engaging episodes so far.

Finally almost finished with this series btw, I know I started it over a year ago now :P
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 pm

It occurs to me every time you post about Batman TAS that I probably know the series a little too well. Every time, you pretty much seem to be echoing things that have been talked about by the show's fanbase for decades now, and to me it always sounds like "Hey guys, water is really wet, ya know?" :lol:
I probably sound about the same way every time I play a popular game two or three years late.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:07 pm

^ Its been a great nostalgic trip down memory lane!

DuckTales 2017

O.M.G. Having watched the first 8 episodes so far I can say that this turned out to be a real treat. They have expanded the story, are delving into more of the Duck familys issues, have more of an on-going story line, and have re-created the characters beautifully for the modern audience, although the show has lost a tad of its innocence compared to the original show, but its a nice blend considering fans of the original series are grown up now. Biggest changes are probably to Webby and Mrs Beakly, who are both bad asses in this show if you can imagine that. There are real voice actors this time around and Donald is the only one that really has his traditional "duck" voice (who is in the series alot this time around) and Huey Dewey and Louie actually have their characters majorly fleshed out which they were never really all that distinct in the original show and sounded almost identical, they each have their own VA now. Oh and the references to the original show and Duck family comics, they really did their home work incorporating the canon and Lore of the Ducks. It has witty writing and is just a fun ride all around, and David Tennant kills it as Scrooge (my favorite Disney character of all time). It kind of reminds me of TMNT 2012 CG TV Show how it pays homage to the previous iterations.

And speaking of TMNT 2012, its been canceled... and I am not happy about it because it was such a great show and will be missed and felt like it could have gone on for plenty more seasons. AND its being replaced by a brand new TMNT show that will start airing next year and they have moved back to 2D animation, and I am on the fence about it for now as only the voice actors have been revealed. Also, how did I not know Samwise actor in LOTR, Sean Astin, was the voice of Raphael this whole time?? Just a credit to the talent and quality of the show RIP!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 am

Finally just got around to watching the last few episodes of The Man in the High Castle (though a third season is apparently in the works, so it's not really the "last" last few episodes).

Started to write a big ol' post about it, but figured no one would read that. So here's the short version: if you have Amazon Prime, fucking watch this show. It's excellent. Amazing production values, fantastic performances all around, and a legitimately fascinating, convincing, and realistic depiction of what the world might have looked like if the Axis powers had won WWII (this ain't Wolfenstein: The New Order). And I'm very, very happy to be able to say that none of the show's maturity and intelligence is ever negated by anything as silly as unnecessary nudity and sex, over-the-top violence, or hackneyed "twists" (such as unexpected character deaths). Most shows that are given the leeway to do whatever they want tend to resort to pathetic, adolescent instances of those things, which inevitably cheapen the intended sense of maturity. But that doesn't happen even once during this show, over the course of two entire seasons. It retains its maturity and intelligence the whole way, which just feels so friggin rare and refreshing to me.

I weirdly wish there were some way to support this show beyond just watching it on a service I already get anyway. If it were on bluray, I'd buy it regardless of the fact that I already having streaming access to it. I like it that much. Many would probably disagree with me in this sentiment, but I might even go so far as to call it the actual best show I've ever watched either on any paid cable or streaming service. It's fucking golden.
Second season was even better than the first. I hope the eventual third season keeps it up.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby SledgeNE » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

I watch no newer TV-Shows right now. The sitcoms are almost the same. I like to watch the classic TV-Shows like King of Queens, Cosby show, Who's the Boss, The Raccoons, etc..
SledgeNE

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Mindhunter on Netflix is really good. 10 episodes long. Tells the story of how the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit got its start. You get to see people portray Ed Kemper, Richard Speck, BTK. Kemper was fantastically portrayed.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lothar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 am

The Punisher on Netflix. Jon Bernthal is great as the Punisher.
Lothar
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Intending to start watching City Hunter on youtube. Any fans of it?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:01 pm

^ If you mean this...
phpBB [video]

yeah kinda of, otherwise nah.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: Intending to start watching City Hunter on youtube. Any fans of it?

I used to love it as a kid. Nicky Larson's antiques are always good for a laugh.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic