What are you reading?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Cyclonus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:45 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: Fullmetal is great. Have fun!

My new favorite fantasy series is kingkiller chronicle. It's so deep. So much detail in the story.

This is both related and unrelated. But a friend recommended that I watch the FMAB series. So I gave it a pop when it was on Netflix and the thing absolutely blew my mind. So needless to say, I've moved on to the Manga just to see how the two compare overall and it's just as fantastic. I'm having a blast.
Cyclonus
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:19 pm

The Bible. Seriously. The Jerusalem one, in particular. Major plot twist already: "Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves..."

Who the hell are the others?

The Cain and Abel story is ridiculously short and abrupt. Considering just how big a character Cain is, I genuinely can't believe how shit the story is. Was expecting an epic of some sort.

Also, practically been a retcon already in the story of Noah's Ark. Couldn't he have just done something more interesting like punch the wall of reality or fall through time or some shit? Lazy, lazy writing.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: GoldenLotus
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:36 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: The Bible. Seriously. The Jerusalem one, in particular. Major plot twist already: "Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves..."

Who the hell are the others?

The Cain and Abel story is ridiculously short and abrupt. Considering just how big a character Cain is, I genuinely can't believe how shit the story is. Was expecting an epic of some sort.

Also, practically been a retcon already in the story of Noah's Ark. Couldn't he have just done something more interesting like punch the wall of reality or fall through time or some shit? Lazy, lazy writing.

The word is Elohim. In Hebrew the -im ending means plural. Christians(like myself) believe this to be a reference to the trinity.

The Bible is the most facinating book I've ever read. There is so much depth to it. And I would say you don't even have to be a Christian to appreciate its depth.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:42 pm

Yeah, but god's turning out to be a bit of a nob rash, really. Seems more like Loki than anything. "Noah's descendants are building a town, let's just zap em to different corners of the globe and give them different languages so they can't understand what the fuck eachother are saying."

Out of interest though, what kinda Christian are you? I was raised as a Catholic, and I know that Catholics n Protestants don't actually believe the Old Testament to be anything more than a collection of stories/parables.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:

Cain and Abel is a short story. The most important part of it to me is that God didnt accept Cains offering but accepted Abels. The missing ingredient in Cains was blood. That comes up in a big way later.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:49 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Yeah, but god's turning out to be a bit of a nob rash, really. Seems more like Loki than anything. "Noah's descendants are building a town, let's just zap em to different corners of the globe and give them different languages so they can't understand what the fuck eachother are saying."

Out of interest though, what kinda Christian are you? I was raised as a Catholic, and I know that Catholics n Protestants don't actually believe the Old Testament to be anything more than a collection of stories/parables.

The part babel was because they were trying to reach heaven. The tower part always blown out of proportion. They weren't physically trying to reach heaven. They were spiritually trying to reach heaven. So God confused them. Probably not what I would have done, but I'm not God.

I'm Baptist, but I'm first and formost a Christian. I don't live and die by the baptist denomination. I do believe the bible is all true. I know the mods don't want this to get into a debate so I'll leave it at that. PM me if you want details or anything.

Id say Daniel is my favorite book of the bible.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Yeah, did seem a bit weird. Especially after really hammering it home that rainbows are a sign that he won't try wiping everyone out again. Then just turns round and fucks up a potentially great city. Just... very random.

But no, it's fine, not tryna debate or owt. There's not really any point in an atheist debating with someone who's religious, coz one'll never believe it and the other will never disbelieve it. I'm more interested in just viewing them as stories, coz I remember the Old Testament in particular being pretty entertaining (compared to the New Testament, at least)

It's also interesting seeing just how much of it has inspired films, books, comics, video games, etc. Still though, I don't see the relevance of reeling off a list of names, who they got married to, who their kids were, and how long they lived for. Just kinda seems pointless atm. Also, the whole Abraham/Abram thing really threw me off n'all.

Do you know if there are any big differences between the Jerusalem version and the King James edition? Besides the whole "one's for Catholics, the other's for Protestants" thing.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:46 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Yeah, did seem a bit weird. Especially after really hammering it home that rainbows are a sign that he won't try wiping everyone out again. Then just turns round and fucks up a potentially great city. Just... very random.

God actually says he'll never flood the earth again. Not that he'll never wipe it out again.

MiTT3NZ wrote: Still though, I don't see the relevance of reeling off a list of names, who they got married to, who their kids were, and how long they lived for. Just kinda seems pointless atm.

From a Christian standpoint, God is creating a genealogy for a very special purpose: Jesus Christ. If his mission is going to be accomplished Jesus has to fit a number of criteria. The genealogy serves to prove his validity as messiah. I'm sure Jews have a different view of genealogies though. But I agree, they can be very boring.

If anything sticks out as being really weird I'd advise trying to figure out why it's there. That's how I find some of the coolest stuff in the Bible. It's weird, I think about it like it's a treasure hunt. In my view God put even the weird things in there for some reason. So it's fun to find out why.

MiTT3NZ wrote: Do you know if there are any big differences between the Jerusalem version and the King James edition? Besides the whole "one's for Catholics, the other's for Protestants" thing.

I've never heard of the Jerusalem Bible but I know the KJV was ordered to be translated by(obviously) King James. He called the top Hebrew and Greek scholars to make the most accurate English translation of the Old and New Testaments. As for the validity of each, I'm not super familiar with the different translations, from the wiki's it looks like the Old Testaments of both were from the manuscript(Masoretic text) but the New Testaments were from two different manuscripts. I'm not sure the differences between the two manuscripts.

I do know that Catholics also have the apocryphal books in their canon, but typically protestants don't for several reasons.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Still reading the Soul Drinkers Omnibus, but I found a pretty good stopping point so I can start on something else that I just randomly got in the mood for:

I've had the book for years and years (this is the first printing in English), but never really had much time for reading before. I always liked the movies, always intended to get around to the book eventually. It still makes me facepalm, the fact that The Hunger Games was so successful despite ripping it off and watering it down. In light of that, I think this one really deserves a read.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:14 am

Garth Ennis' Punisher.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:02 pm

OL wrote:Image

I've had the book for years and years (this is the first printing in English), but never really had much time for reading before. I always liked the movies, always intended to get around to the book eventually. It still makes me facepalm, the fact that The Hunger Games was so successful despite ripping it off and watering it down. In light of that, I think this one really deserves a read.

I book that book years ago but never got around to reading it as I was still reading the Parker series.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby GoldenLotus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:03 pm

GoldenLotus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Thief » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Berserk has come back with some new chapters -- but, in my seemingly endless wait for new content, i've noticed that i have forgotten most of what happens in the Manga. So I decided to re-read the entire thing. Currently, I am just past the eclipse. The Golden Age/Flashback arc is the one I remember most, so I'm very much looking forward to continue further, but holy-wow is this Manga good. I always knew it was, but sometimes you just need some reminding.

Thief has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:34 pm

Found this by accident whilst searching for any scrap of news on Jake Adelstein's next book, The Last Yakuza.

This only appears to be a short story, but the small portion I've read was very interesting..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:52 pm

Zbigniew Brzesinsky: The Grand Chessboard.

Interesting book, even after all those years. Considering he wrote this in the mid-90's, it is amazing to see how accurate some of Brzesinsky's prediction's and plannings were. Only the Ukraine thing did not quite go as Brzesinsky had planned it. :D
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic