Random Thoughts! v2.0

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Postby Sonikku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Why is it when people talk gun control everyone always thinks in terms of two extremes? Why does it have to be guns of any shape and size are freely available for all or impossible to have by any? Surely there is a way to allow private citizens to own their hunting rifle their dad gave them when they were younger or a hand gun for self defense without letting them have high powered assault rifles and magazines designed to kill dozens of people in seconds. What do private citizens need with assault rifles anyway? I can't imagine this is what the founding fathers had in mind when they penned the second amendment.

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: Brothaman, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby beedle » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 pm

mue 26 wrote:I completely agree. And I never said tackling those social issues was unrealistic, I was simply questioning how long it might take, as I believe it will take the US a hell of a lot of time and soul searching before such issues are moved significantly closer towards eradication. Hence why I think in the interim it would save a hell of a lot of lives if guns were harder to come by. Even lan di-sama, who I know from previous debates enjoys his firearms, seems to want regulation tightened up.

I never said laws shouldn't be tightened? I'm not sure where you got that from. I'm simply saying there are bigger issues to tackle, that will do far more than a simple short term "tighten regulation" law. It's a societal issue, little else.

mue 26 wrote:But this only proves my point further. Making guns very easily accessible to a nation of people that have a proven record of handling them in a especially irresponsible manner, is madness. As I said, if society in the States gets toward the point where people are looking like they might actually not want to shoot each other, give them whatever they want!

the culture isn't one of shooting eachother, but a gun culture, the culture surrounding guns, etc. etc. This means the gun ownership is always going to be there, even if you ban them. Although hey, America really has a good history of prohibition, it's always worked well.

(unrelated to your previous point here's a good article http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother )

Sonikku wrote: Why is it when people talk gun control everyone always thinks in terms of two extremes?

erm... that was kind of the opposite of what I was arguing?
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:27 pm

I was responding to Jeff who posted a video on the blanket removal of all guns in all forms from Australia, as if to suggest that is what Obama or anyone talking about gun control reform in this country had in mind in questioning the use of high powered weapons in civilian hands. Though I suppose if I did not know any better, one would think the victims in this tragedy were the gun owners.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby beedle » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:29 pm

soz pal, kind of accused you of doing what I did meself there
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby redline » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:40 pm

beedle wrote:um... got a source? for either of those points.

no i dont have a source for either.

in the uk, we have got judges commending people in court for there crimes, sentences which are laughable & the fact that the home office is resigned to crime getting worse and nothing can be done about.

..in america when a prison is full, they dont start issuing lighter sentences & release people early with the hope they will be "good", they just build another prison.. unlike in the uk.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:46 pm

redline wrote:in america when a prison is full, they dont start issuing lighter sentences & release people early with the hope they will be "good", they just build another prison..

and yet it still doesn't change much, meanwhile in Norway the prisons are actually pretty comfortable, the prisoners get treated like human beings, they actually properly rehabilitate them and they even have open prisons yet their crime rate is low, their prisoners rarely go back to crime and the system works
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sonikku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Here in America once you've been convicted of a crime worse than traffic ticket you're pretty much screwed. When every application asks if you're a convict and there are 7 applicants to every job it stands to reason it doesn't take much to be put in the discard pile. Our prison system does more to debilitate it's inmates than rehabilitate them for functioning in normal society, but even among those that can survive it with a clear head, trying to make an honest living is practically impossible if they tried.

Of even more concern to me personally however is how America has a growing trend of making prisons into slave labor. It gives the system too much incentive to lock up innocent people for the lucrative business of putting them to work for profit seeking companies looking to cut cuts by laying off regular employees.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: mue 26
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby mue 26 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:34 pm

beedle wrote:
I never said laws shouldn't be tightened? I'm not sure where you got that from. I'm simply saying there are bigger issues to tackle, that will do far more than a simple short term "tighten regulation" law. It's a societal issue, little else.

I never said you did. We essentially agree. It's just that I can understand the immediate reaction asking for tighter gun control. Of course the real problem is a society that is in many ways unbalanced (as is our own), there's no denying that, and I also agree that tackling the root cause rather than the symptoms is always the right way to go. Though, when I think about how America is an unbelievable stronghold for the pharmaceutical industry, an industry gaining unimaginable profits from neglecting the root of illnesses and instead only treating symptoms....it makes me sceptical as to whether America as whole can escape from the grip of allopathy any time soon.
Last edited by mue 26 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:51 am

Been real busy the past week.

I'm prepping for what will be my first feature film. Haven't decided on all the specifics yet but i'm leaning on shooting with a Red One or MX camera (with whatever badass lenses I can get) so the film can look like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5pJXXBea8A[/youtube]

I'm also considering the Nikon D90 or my own Canon Rebel T2i if I can make it look like a "film" like the Red cameras do. It'll be based on the short script "The Assignment", i'm writing the full feature length version of it as we speak. I already sent the 30 page "short" to two would-be producers and they love it. Hopefully the feature script will get a similar reaction, which would lead to more financing.

The script will be finished in a week maybe and i'll get some concept art done by the same person who did TECH. I'll also be doing the storyboards. Not to mention direct and edit. There are some difficult things i'm planning on doing that are considered big NO-NOs (working with children, gun battles, ect) but i'm hoping by planning it all out ahead of time and financing a few extra days will help remedy this situation.

On top of that i'm finalizing TECH, writing Project Exodus, and halfway with a brand new script....CREW, which is so far coming along to be very awesome (might be the one i'll ship out with full confidence around since there isn't one thing wrong with it so far)!

Since i'm becoming swamped with work, you might see less of me in the coming weeks. But if anything i'll still pop in whenever I can. Be seeing you bastards later. :beerchug:

Kenny has received 3 thanks from: KiBa, MiTT3NZ, Samanosuke Akechi
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby KiBa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 am

Awesome! I am happy for you. But, dear unmoved mover, Kenny, what of the Shenmue project? I hope you're still releasing some of the script tomorrow, as MiTTZ hasn't approached me about the story yet. Granted, I'm only developing unimportant NPCs, but Shenmue was full of little interrelated lines, and I've got to know the story in order to plan was sorts of background NPCs are appropriate or even necessary (security guards, merchants, crewmen on the ship, etc). If you need me to do anything, I'm available.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Ziming » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:26 am

Someone here I won't name is boot-licking a certain site owner in the hopes he will be a mod/admin again. Not hard to figure out, but yeah that is my random thought.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby KiBa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 am

^
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffeOvwBYkf4[/youtube]
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:47 am

Well as far as I'm aware only 1 person had their mod status removed?

Either way current set up is fine and should stay as it is.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:19 pm

They released it early

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY_Gc1bF8ds[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III