Japanese Music

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Japanese Music

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:36 pm

phpBB [video]

Decided to give this OST a listen again, music by the amazing Yoko Kanno and also an incredible anime that I just may have to give a re watch since its been since 2004 and I remember how emotional and great of a series it is. In the mean time this music is just what I need right now.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Ha, weird. I literally just got on here to find this old topic and post in it again, and here it is at the top of the list already. Beat me to it.

phpBB [video]

This was originally a B-side on one of their singles about 13 or 14 years ago, but the studio version has always been a bit different from what they'd play at live shows; the live one had different lyrics and a way better chorus tune.
I always wished they'd make a studio recording of the live version, and actually got my wish when they put out a "best of" compilation recently. Dir en Grey has always been really good at resurrecting old songs to match their more current style, and this one works out perfectly.
And having 13-ish years more experience than they did when they first recorded it, they've pretty much perfected that harmonic in the main guitar riff. It's a small detail, but something I definitely took notice of.
Just lovely.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:40 pm

Just discovered CDJapan's proxy shipping service, and the first thing I bought through it is the album this is on. That, and an accompanying poster. Because hey, if you're gonna have anything on your wall, it may as well be a Japanese chick re-stringing a bass.

phpBB [video]

Had no idea she'd put out a new album back in October. Her first album was great; all just bass, drums, and vocals, all kinda lo-fi in the best way possible. Being as guitar-obsessed as I am, you'd think I'd miss them, but she's so friggin expressive on bass that she just doesn't need any guitars around.
On that note, may as well post one from the first album. It's all pretty tasty.

phpBB [video]
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 am

Man OL, I came back to this thread today to steal some of your links to give Japanese metal recommendations to someone and I'm only now really realizing how good DEZERT is. I keep listening to one of the one's you posted before and SATSUI

phpBB [video]

Rakim has received a thanks from: OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Mon May 28, 2018 3:08 am

Just discovered this band. Apparently they've been around 9-ish years, but somehow they've always escaped by notice.
Not everything is golden, but when I find something of theirs that I dig, I seem to really dig it.

This first one, it's mainly the tune of the chorus. Those sliding (or are they bending? Pitch-shifting?) guitar chords are fucking gorgeous. I can only dream of coming up with shit that sounds that groovy. Me being me, you'd think I'd be all about the heavier parts, but not as much here (though that stuff is still great).

phpBB [video]

And this one I just love the slight gothic slant to it. Aside from that though, I really like how good the band is of doing these huge tonal shifts between verses and choruses. Good showcase for that.

phpBB [video]

OL has received a thanks from: Rakim
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:27 am

Been giving a lot of new stuff a shot lately, and HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
The production level on this band's songs is absolutely insane. I mean, the music itself is written at a pretty high level too, but the studio work makes it pop like mixing drugs and alcohol at Mardi Gras. Just really, really incredible work, to a trippy goddamn extent.
Hard to believe they've only put out three singles so far; this stuff sounds like the work of seasoned pros. I'll have to look into whether the members are all from different bands or something.
But yeah, fucking nuclear blast in audio form. Had to order these singles almost immediately after hearing them.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Band is called Kizu. Or Ki-zu. Or something.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby James Brown » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Looked through all the older pages, and although alot of video links have broken, from what I could tell I was surprised to see no "The Mad Capsule Markets" songs posted :P

Used to love them so much as a young teen! Was gutted when they stopped making music.

Here's some of my favourites though :) -

Bit Crusherrrr:
phpBB [video]

That whole album is amazing though actually!

Tribe:
phpBB [video]

Cistm Konfliqt..:
phpBB [video]

Also been enjoying a couple of random songs from shows i've watched recently. The live action series of Erased on Netflix was great, and I really loved the intro song -

Kanjo in the Display - Akane:
phpBB [video]

The other show on Netflix I watched recently was called Ainori Love Wagon Asian Journey, and the intro song is lovely!

Sonoko Inoue - 井上苑子 - せかいでいちばん
phpBB [video]

Thanks for all the videos so far, really digging that Dezert! Do you know if they are on spotify under a Japanese name or something, the Dezert that pops up isn't them, cheers :P
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:10 am

I don't often post much of the Gazette, which is a bit strange since they've been one of my favorite bands for a long damn time now. Top three, easily. Got a poster of them on my wall at pretty much all times. They're pretty much THE band that made me pick up the guitar and seriously start learning a thing or two about music (more often than not it's one of their riffs that I warm up with when I turn on my amp). And it may as well be their fault that I went a bit all-out when buying my last guitar, a 2000-ish dollar ESP Horizon that I sold most of my more expensive gaming junk for (got it last year and still haven't posted pictures here; gonna have to get to that sometime).
So yeah, I'm kind of a fan.

Anyway, their newest album just came out the day before yesterday, and being the die-hard that I am, I'm sitting here patiently waiting for my import to arrive in the mail.
First song from the album was released a few months ago, though, and it's kept me hyped this whole time. Great goddamn song. I remember when I first heard it, I squinted a bit at how it started, worrying that it was gonna be some way-too-electronic track or something. Something I might not dig so much. But then about 25 seconds in, when it hits that giant shift in tone... I could think nothing other than "fuuuuck YES."

phpBB [video]

And for the hell of it, I just love the hell out of this live performance. Great song and all, sure, but the visual production is fantastic. Just striking as hell without being overdone at all.

phpBB [video]
OL
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:28 am

Idk much about Japanese music but this song popped up on my youtube recommendations feed and now it's stuck on my head lol.
phpBB [video]
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Calshot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 am

I first learned about Jero back when he was starting to get famous from the Dojo (probably Kiyuu I think). He recently announced he's going on hiatus from music after celebrating his 10 year anniversary as a singer. While he may be stepping away from music, I'm glad he had a solid run and wasn't a one hit wonder.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: OL, Rakim
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Rakim » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:14 am

Man I loved Jero. He was a big hero of mine when I started studying Japanese. Sad to see him dip out of showbiz.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:53 am

So ever since I found this band (a few posts above), I've been hoping to see something of them live; their recorded sound is so thoroughly mixed and mastered that I wondered if they could actually make it sound anything like that at a show.
They put up a couple live videos on their channel the other day that I'm just now finding, and one of them happens to be my favorite B-side of one of their singles, a song called Urami Bushi (it shares its title with an old Meiko Kaji tune you've probably heard, and I get the feeling they intended it as an homage; the tone definitely matches up, except with a highly-produced metal sound rather than a 70s enka one).
Turns out they're friggin fantastic live. It's not one of their crazier songs necessarily, but the energy is all still there.
They're still relatively new, but I'm keeping my eye on them.

phpBB [video]
OL
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to Off Topic