Star Wars: The Force Awakens

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Postby Raithos » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:33 pm

phpBB [video]

Can't tell much from the teaser, but I'm excited that's for sure. I know they said they aren't using or acknowledging the E.U. at all, but that cross guard on the saber and the "awakening" screams the Fate of the Jedi series.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:32 pm

What we once thought was official story line, is now all up in the air :lol:

I'm still really excited about it though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mrslig100 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Im sceptical about that camera work but it looks bloody good! :mrgreen:
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Nahovil » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:45 pm

I'd say there's no need for sword-shaped lightsabers.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Nitpicking time!

Pros:

+ Millennium Falcon scene looks so amazing and fitting to the Star Wars universe.
+ Some of the scenes look Lucas-esque (widescreen with a subject on the very left hand or right hand side) which is good for the continuity of the series.
+ X-Wings (or whatever they were) look so good.
+ Points for attempting to craft a new droid.
+ Soundtrack and effects are spot on.

Cons:

- That lightsaber reveal scene is too Abrams like with the handheld camera. Same with the Stormtroopers and that flickering shit. If this was a reboot or spinoff, fine. Go crazy. Has no place for a real SW sequel tho.
- Also nice attempt to give the lightsaber a new look, but WTF are the sides on the handle good for other than frying your own hand while stylishly waving it about? Darth Maul's double edge lightsaber made more sense.
- The title still sounds like a title for the next EU book or videogame than a true SW sequel.
- Back with the droid, nice attempt but...it looks too wacky.

Overall: Good teaser. Can't wait for a real trailer and the final film.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Looks amazing overall.
Not sure how I feel about the lightsaber sword design..although I can live with it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:49 pm

The lightsaber design is not at all practical when you consider the gyrodynamic strength of dueling with the weapon, but who freakin' cares. STAR WARS!!! :D And I strongly suspect a large number of the "Eh..." crowd is seeing it opening week. :lol:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: OL
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Rakim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:55 pm

That lightsaber reminded me of the cross blunt from Pineapple Express.

Rakim has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, Raithos
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:08 am

I'm not a fan of the fancy camera work on the Falcon reveal; one of the beautiful things about the original trilogy is how simply-shot it is, which helped in making their space battle scenes memorable. When the camera work is too fancy, it loses memorability. Kinda makes me think of a scene or two from Sucker Punch, where the camera is swooping and turning and spinning so much that the action gets completely lost in the movement of the cinematography. So I don't personally like that shot much.
However, I loved the shots of the storm troopers, and the Sith reveal. I actually liked that they don't look like Lucas's style of filming; they actually looked new. It was Star Wars as I haven't seen it shot before. And we can talk about keeping a continuous style with the previous films and all that as much as you like, but I'm interested in these new movies exactly because I want to see a new take on things. So that stuff got me hyped. Me likes.
Also:

Sonikku wrote:The lightsaber design is not at all practical when you consider the gyrodynamic strength of dueling with the weapon, but who freakin' cares.

YES. Exactly.
I foresee a shit-ton of griping about little things like that in these upcoming movies; there are so many fans out there that you'll simply never be able to please. Not to mention that internet society is obsessed with ripping things to shreds if they "don't make sense."
I say fuck it, it's a space opera, I couldn't give two shits about realism or practicality. Does anyone really love Star Wars specifically for how practical it is? That just seems silly to me. It's one big fantasy.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:24 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a pretty looking film with cool action and no substance.

So in that same school of thought:

OL wrote: I'm not a fan of the fancy camera work on the Falcon reveal; one of the beautiful things about the original trilogy is how simply-shot it is, which helped in making their space battle scenes memorable. When the camera work is too fancy, it loses memorability. Kinda makes me think of a scene or two from Sucker Punch, where the camera is swooping and turning and spinning so much that the action gets completely lost in the movement of the cinematography. So I don't personally like that shot much.

Nah, the Falcon scenes were always dynamic, especially in ROTJ (2:37 in the video). Lucas gave the ILM guys stock WWII fighter plane footage as the basis for some of the ship scenes in the first movie.

phpBB [video]

Sonikku wrote:The lightsaber design is not at all practical when you consider the gyrodynamic strength of dueling with the weapon, but who freakin' cares.

YES. Exactly.
I foresee a shit-ton of griping about little things like that in these upcoming movies; there are so many fans out there that you'll simply never be able to please. Not to mention that internet society is obsessed with ripping things to shreds if they "don't make sense."
I say fuck it, it's a space opera, I couldn't give two shits about realism or practicality. Does anyone really love Star Wars specifically for how practical it is? That just seems silly to me. It's one big fantasy.

Lightscythe >>> Ligthsaber with an impractical crossguard. THAT should've been the new weapon.

But if we're gonna pull the whole "it's a big fantasy" card, might as well make everyone fly and ride fire breathing talking dragons straight into a Death Star core cause...why not?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:51 am

Actually, watching the trailer again, the shot isn't quite as bad as I'd thought before. I still don't like how it goes upside down though, because it's only there for disorientation purposes. The original movies had dynamic camera work where necessary, but there was always a very clear sense of where everything is placed in the action, whereas this shot just seems showy for the hell of it.
But yeah, that clip you posted really just shows how it's totally possible to be dynamic without going too nuts with it. It's good stuff.

Kenny wrote:But if we're gonna pull the whole "it's a big fantasy" card, might as well make everyone fly and ride fire breathing talking dragons straight into a Death Star core cause...why not?

Well that's a little far. There are rules to the universe, obviously, so not anything is possible. But I don't think those rules really negate the possibility of clearly-dangerous weapons being used. Complaining about the lightsaber just seems like too much of a nitpick is all. It's there to look cool. Really no different than the original lightsabers in the 70s. You really think about it, and they're just as ridiculous. One wrong move and you take your own arm off, likely with no effort exerted whatsoever.
But hey, a laser-sword looks awesome, so in it goes.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby JMan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:23 am

The Sith Lord trudging through the snow caked forest looks fatally badass.

I can see everyone’s apprehension about the choice of lightsaber but to be fair forked lightsabers have been around in the E.U. since 2004. I've been reading on the Star Wars Wiki and apparently a forked blade's side beam can allow you to protect your hand while in a lock with an opponent. Its also a design reserved for more experienced lightsaber wielders in the expanded universe. Hence, I think it’s possible that JJ. Abrams is paying homage to this and its not something completely random.
JMan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby js3 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:25 am

Don't know why everyone's so surprised about the crossguard lightsaber - they are a part of the Star Wars lore....
[url]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber[/url]

I suspect it was probably chosen by Abrams because it looks somewhat Arthurian, and by all accounts he's taking the series back to its mythological roots ... (absolutely the right idea.)
js3
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Just finished S2 (again)

Postby Nahovil » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:55 am

But the fantasy factor isn't contributed to, since having that protection makes total sense. They just need to keep it fresh for the novelty hungry audiences.

But, it is as Sonikku pointed out.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:03 am

As far as the camera work and all I want Abrams to do whatever he wants. I just want to see a Star Wars film shot in this century that isn't directed by Lucas. I'm also glad they don't acknowledge the eu because I want all us fans to be on the same page with reveals and plot development happening in real time.

And the crossguards don't make much sense but whatever.

I just hope they don't commit the same sin the did in ep 1 when they killed darth maul. He should have been in at least the first two.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Off Topic