Feminism

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Feminism

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:09 pm

...what?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:13 pm

:D
apologies if the irony is lost, must be an enlishman thing?! :P
to make it blindingly clear, it's all that's about. (and it's like most of us can't focus on better thing, but what do i know?!)
the same noise, as it were.
just saiyin! :king:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Kobe?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:21 pm

:shock:
the guy i responded to, that ended up a freakin ghost? (nothing to do with me, but it's clear i may have royaly FUCKED UP by using the same name carried everywhere i go.)
1, nope. :mrgreen: staffs can confirm that, all they need to do is look at ip lags, and i'm not in the london capital, so there's that!
2, do a web search on me (same username) and you'll find i contribute/upload to places.
3, to take the b8 i will, dodging the observation is far from good form. ;-)
4, again, to reiterate, i'm not kobe. the evidence will overwhelm you. (and i don't know the guy, never spoke to him personally.) :?:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:28 pm

You're a strange one. Kinda remind me of a little fluffy sidekick babbling gibberish and bouncing off the walls in a corner.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:30 pm

:mrgreen: got me all figured out.
can't argue with truth. :rotflmao:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:32 pm

shredingskin has received a thanks from: silent killer
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:42 am

shredingskin wrote:
mue 26 wrote: But the representation of women in videogames is shockingly bad

Not really, Depends on the genre and the market. Adventure games, visual novels and those hide n seek have a lot of female protagonist.

Women are represented terribly in the majority of nearly every mainstream game genre, you'd have to be fairly deluded to argue they aren't. From fighting games to action adventure games to open world games to (at least Japanese) visual novels. That's not to say there aren't exceptions in every one of those genres, but sadly not enough. So as a rule of thumb, women are portrayed pretty damn embarrassingly bad.
And having a woman as a protagonist doesn't necessarily make the character good. They usually just end up being the same tired tropes.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:53 am

Barring Dead or Alive I always thought fighting games were generally excluded from all this. Chun-Li and Pau (Pai?) in particular were always seen as the perfect characters to master when I was growin up.

Then again I grew up in a multi-cultural society where women are boss and we could all take the piss out of eachother without fear of being labelled sexist, racist, homophobic or just a general bigot. Maybe the problem is that people on all sides of this ridiculous argument are looking solely at the flaws and not the qualities. Maybe the problem is that you're all extremely negative cunts and northerners ain't so miserable after all.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:12 am

As opposed men that aren't some stupid trope ?? Another thing I have with anita, she keep saying like tropes are a bad thing, it's just a way to make the viewer empathize easily with characters knowing their role.

Everything is a trope, some are more used than others.

Mobile games are 90% targeted at women, mainstream console games are pretty much targeted at men, I'm not saying they don't know how big the market is for each demographic, but let's remember those are companies that waste millions and millions of dollars in marketing research, and will start making games for dogs if that's what would make them money.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:35 am

There are people who act as if a sexy character with a rocking-hot body is a bad thing. THAT'S what's embarassing.

I'm a male, and I like sexy females. I like miniskirts and I like big bouncy titties. I'm unapologetic about this.
Females in videogames have idealized bodies (and so do males). This is not abad thing! I don't buy this regressive mentality that being sexy "reduces the characters". Nor does it "objectify" them.
WE ARE SEXUAL BEINGS! Stop treating it as if it's a dirty thing! It's normal for male gamers to enjoy looking at sexy female characters! Yes, I love DOA, it's fucking awesome.

When I see an idealized male, I think, "lol, I wish I was like that". It gives me something to aspire to, something I can work towards, even though I understand that it's unrealistic fiction. When feminists see an idealized female, they get jealous and throw a fit because they realize that they can't measure up.
Bitches won't be happy until every single one of us has been castrated and turned into a pussified beta wimp. Well, I for one, will not let that happen without a fight. Bring it on, you harpies.

Three Blades has received a thanks from: Shenmuedabest
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 am

shredingskin wrote: As opposed men that aren't some stupid trope ??

no, not opposed. Men are often represented pretty badly too.
The problem is that when you look at a lot of these games, the women have little to no agency of their own, and usually just there to service and gratify the male characters and male players

Another thing I have with anita, she keep saying like tropes are a bad thing

Sexist, racist tropes ect are bad. Basically, anything that dehumanizes people is bad.

Mobile games are 90% targeted at women, mainstream console games are pretty much targeted at men, I'm not saying they don't know how big the market is for each demographic, but let's remember those are companies that waste millions and millions of dollars in marketing research, and will start making games for dogs if that's what would make them money.

Mobile games are 90% targeted at women? Really? But anyway yeah, console games do usually target men, and yeah this is due to the market, and yeah this is where things get tricky. But I still don't think it's justification to be lazy and sleazy just because it's more profitable.

MiTT3NZ wrote: [color=yellow]
Then again I grew up in a multi-cultural society where women are boss and we could all take the piss out of eachother without fear of being labelled sexist, racist, homophobic or just a general bigot.

I think we can and should be able to take the piss out of each other without fear, so I would agree. Although, for me personally, I do draw at gender and race based slurs. But there are a lot of grey areas, I'll admit.

There are people who act as if a sexy character with a rocking-hot body is a bad thing. THAT'S what's embarassing.

The problem isn't at all characters being sexy. Read what I what I wrote in the first part of my post. Women characters are often nothing more than objects in a game, often for sexual gratification. It's also not uncommon for nearly every female character in certain games to be highly sexualised (this isn't the case for male characters), and this is a form of dehumanization.

Bitches won't be happy until every single one of us has been castrated and turned into a pussified beta wimp. Well, I for one, will not let that happen without a fight. Bring it on, you harpies.

Are you trolling or serious?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:06 am

Women characters are often nothing more than objects in a game, often for sexual gratification.

They aren't objects, they're women. If they were objectified, I wouldn't find them attractive, because I'm not attracted to objects.
If anything, games ARE objects, which are being made to look like women. So really, the games are womenifying objects, not objectifying women.

It's also not uncommon for nearly every female character in certain games to be highly sexualised (this isn't the case for male characters), and this is a form of dehumanization.

No it isn't. Healthy humans are sexual beings, and there is nothing wrong with female characters being sexualized in games that are targeted at a male audience. It's the same as males being sexualized in sh*tty female fiction like 50 shades of grey.

Are you trolling or serious?

Are you trolling or castrated?
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:11 am

Women are objects because are sex workers ?? Pretty much every npc in a game is an object, background decoration. That's how games work. You enter a store, you use the vendor npc as a register machine.

This is what happens when bullshit philosophy comes into play, with the new definition (bogus) of "an object is something to be acted upon" means that everything is an object, a cashier, a taxi driver, a patient, etc. Because in reality connections don't work like that.

Also what means "sexist" is lame, why a person would downgrade another one because of their choice ?? It's sexist to have sexualized women in a videogame or is it catering to a male audience ? Telling a simple story of damsel in distress is a sexist trope because says women are physically inferior or is just a simple way to tell a story in a couple of seconds ?

BTW if you think that a woman that is hot, and works in the bussiness of pleasure is an object you are the one dehumanizing people for their own choices.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:14 am

If anything, sex workers are the ones who are taking advantage of our male libido in an effort to relieve us of our hard-earned money. Males don't exploit sex workers, it's the other way around. Sex workers see us men as nothing more than money-dispensing commodities.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic