Feminism

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Feminism

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:08 pm

mue 26 wrote: Jesus Christ, I didn't think it was possible, but with every page the tone in this thread is being lowered. Didn't any of you clearly angry people bother watching those videos I posted on the previous page? I mean, ok so you don't agree with Anita Sarkeesian. That's fine, she has an opinion and so do you. But why are you getting so irrationally angry over her opinion?

1- You clearly don't read what you don't want to read and see what you don't want to read, because I posted the series before you.

2- Where do you see "irrational anger" ?? Posting some funny pictures ??

mue 26 wrote:I do, but that nothing at all to do with anything. My point was that comparing suffering full stop is just fucking stupid. So yeah, I think anyone who says "my suffering is akin to a war veteran's" is silly. But I think anyone who says "NO YOUR SUFFERING IS OBJECTIVELY NOT AS BAD" is just a fully blown moron. And that sentence is symptomatic of the typical non compassionate, inhumane attitude many people on the internet have towards others. Bullying is bullying, it doesn't matter if it's in twitter, school, or the workplace (and I think "mean tweet" somewhat downplays just how abusive, personal and violent twitter harassment can be). People commit suicide over bullying, and I can't wrap my mind around how you cannot comprehend this.

Actually some third wave feminist thinks that their problems are bigger than anyone else, that's why they rant all day.

mue 26 wrote:
f he thinks Sarkeesian is right...

Go on, please finish that sentence mate.

I don't agree with her on everything, but I think those tweets that were posted are pretty correct. Care to actually put forward a coherent opposing argument and not some dumb meme?

I didn't think it was needed to finish the sentence because it was pretty easy to understand the meaning (I guess not), so there you go:

If he thinks Sarkeesian is right, he can believe anything.

And yes, about Anita there's a lot I have to say and did say.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Also the video posted before me tells a lot about the epistemologic center of her (and also that anyone that can put 2 sentences in a row can be called a "feminist schollar").
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:51 pm

1- You clearly don't read what you don't want to read and see what you don't want to read, because I posted the series before you.

Or maybe I just missed it.

2- Where do you see "irrational anger" ?? Posting some funny pictures ??

The internet is full of irrational anger towards her, and so is this thread, I don't know how you're not seeing it. For example read any of Three Blades posts in this thread.

Actually some third wave feminist thinks that their problems are bigger than anyone else, that's why they rant all day.

I'd say Gamergaters also think their problems are bigger than anyone else's, and that's why they (often violently) rant all day. Whether you agree with Anita or not, at least she is stating her opinions in a polite and civil manner, unlike many of her detractors.

If he thinks Sarkeesian is right, he can believe anything.

She can be right about some things, you know? I agree with her that yes it's creepy to take secret pictures of her, and yes we do live in a patriarchal society, and yes it does harm men, and yes what she wrote is the correct academic definition of sexism. None of those are in any way controversial or ridiculous things to say or agree with. So please, drop all the childish jibes.

Sorry but those thuderfoot videos you posted are really terrible.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby itapck » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:07 pm

From what I know, in France, women obtained the right to vote only with the Provisional Government of the French Republic of 21 April 1944. The Consultative Assembly of Algiers of 1944 proposed on 24 March 1944 to grant eligibility to women but following an amendment by Fernand Grenier, they were given full citizenship, including the right to vote.
itapck
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Yes, it's ridiculous or controversial thinking that we live in a patriarchal society, like it's some form of institution.
It's ricidulous to think there's not sexism against men.

BTW the photo comment was just to highlight the hypocricy of her taking creepshots of other women in public spaces and criticising them on twitter.

Also thinking that your problems are the same as everyone else's it's not empathy, it's the highest form of egocentrism.
Yes, your first world problems are not the same as other people really have, grow a little, show some real empathy and stop putting yourself above everyone else.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

-

Postby danny » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:21 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny
Master of the Three Blades

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:27 pm

They remind me of Millie Tant from The Viz. :D

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

-

Postby danny » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby streetwaves » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:53 pm

Looking at a society in which men and women both have a fairly equal share of advantages/disadvantages and calling it a "patriarchy" is patently absurd. Unfortunately these people apparently won't be happy until outcomes (rather than opportunities) are somehow equal, though I doubt we'll see them push for equal outcomes in areas that women already compare favorably.
streetwaves
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Aimless Gamer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:01 pm

Mue stop being mean. You're making me want to kill myself. Now I know what it feels liked to be raped. See how dumb that sounds?

Aimless Gamer has received a thanks from: OL
Aimless Gamer

XBL: Aimless Gamer

Postby silent killer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:45 am

mue 26 wrote:

She can be right about some things, you know? I agree with her that yes it's creepy to take secret pictures of her, and yes we do live in a patriarchal society, and yes it does harm men, and yes what she wrote is the correct academic definition of sexism. None of those are in any way controversial or ridiculous things to say or agree with. So please, drop all the childish jibes.

http://www.playboy.com/articles/woman-c ... n-facebook

I was reminded of this story. Not really adding anything to the discussion, I know. Just thought it was funny the pot calling the kettle black.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:04 pm

Aimless Gamer wrote: Mue stop being mean. You're making me want to kill myself. Now I know what it feels liked to be raped. See how dumb that sounds?

Reminds me of a paper cut I got.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 am

phpBB [video]

SJW like 20 years before in a parody.

Yup, seems like internet just made it easier to be a "militant".

I just hope that Anita got a clue from that guy, that would make her seems less of a scammer and more like a visionaire.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 am

That Sarkeesian woman is a genius. She got people to throw 160,000 $ at her for making some comedy videos on YT. She can't be for real, with the stuff she said, right? Those are comedy videos, aren't they?

Anyway, she's a tremendously skilled businesswoman. That girl really knows how to make easy money. :)

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Three Blades
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 am

Personally, my favorite Anita-debunkage videos are by far those made by TJ Kirk.

In particular these two below.
And yes, she is a genius... at playing the victim, and exploiting people's stupidity.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Three Blades on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:56 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:That Sarkeesian woman is a genius. She got people to throw 160,000 $ at her for making some comedy videos on YT. She can't be for real, with the stuff she said, right? Those are comedy videos, aren't they?

Anyway, she's a tremendously skilled businesswoman. That girl really knows how to make easy money. :)
^^ it's POV alright, and can't be argued with, the results speak that, but....nevermind! :roll: :cry: (to comment on that statement, i can't possibly do it, speak for itself, or rather, the peoples that sucked it up, and went back for more, and fingered a load of non-related into her mix. TBH, i wouldn't miss her if...??? so ashamed to bleed the same colour right now. :oops: )
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic