Marvel Cinematic Universe

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Thief » Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Most of the movie fell flat for me, largely because I felt as though the guardians characters were written a little strangely—and I thought guardians 2 was so strong, so it was jarring. But Thanos was surprisingly a pretty interesting villain and saved the movie. I just didn’t really dig the pacing and thought it was too long. It wasn’t bad but it got kind of boring after a while... I don’t know. Glad I saw it though.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WhiteLikePaste » Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm

I have to disagree on Guardians 2. I was really disappointed with that one overall and I think it's one of the least essential films in the MCU.

I actually made a video on Infinity War that kind of got buried under the other 17 millions videos out there. All of my opinions and theories can be found there if anyone is interested. SPOILER WARNING.

phpBB [video]
WhiteLikePaste
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: WhiteLikePaste
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Haruto » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:32 am

Pretty sure everyone returns. Even think they will do one of those relive some memories type scenes while they are in limbo. What I do wonder is will Tony be mentally scared even worse this time and actually hang it up. Not sure RDJ wants to hang around much longer. I also feel they are setting up Professor Hulk. Been some contract issues I think with Ruffalo.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 am

Loved Ragnarok, Black Panther was pretty good (Wakanda would make a fucking brilliant setting for a video game), and Infinity War... wow. It may be my favourite film of all time. I actually think I may have enjoyed that n Ragnarok more than Die Hard n The Dark Knight.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Haruto wrote: I also feel they are setting up Professor Hulk. Been some contract issues I think with Ruffalo.

No, nothing with Ruffalo. Marvel just can't make a solo Hulk movie.
There's something in the contract that Marvel signed when they got the character back that says something to the extent that Universal (prior owners of the film rights for the Hulk) gets to handle distribution with any further Hulk movies, even if they themselves didn't make it. And there was no time limit specified in the contract.
Which means that if they actually want to make a solo Hulk movie, Marvel is going to have to give up a big chunk of the profits to Universal. And of course they don't want to do that.
So, in all likelihood, from here on out the Hulk is only going to be showing up as a "guest" in other movies (as in the case of Ragnarok).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:48 pm

I know. Talking about the character. It's clear they are setting it up and the art for the next Avengers film,Hulk is back but wearing a costume. It won't be comic book Professor Hulk but the MCU version. Hulk got his ass kicked and was afraid and kept refusing Banners request to turn into Hulk in Infinity War. Ragnarok Banner is scared he may turn into Hulk forever. Lou does not voice Hulk anymore. Mark does. This keeps him in contract.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:24 pm

So Ant Man and The Wasp was pretty damn great. Miles better than the first (which was good to begin with).
It obviously isn't really of the same scale that some of the Marvel flicks are, but it's a good story, a proper followup to Ant Man's appearance in Civil War (god, that feels so long ago now), and easily -- so friggin easily -- the absolute funniest Marvel movie to date.
It was always a little hard for me to watch, for example, the Guardians movies, because they always seemed to think they were funnier than they actually are. There'd be an occasional chuckle here and there, but mostly it was just jokes falling flat left and right. Still entertaining movies, but the humor was just so... try-hard. Not to mention that the tone of those movies always seemed a bit inconsistent; jokes all over the place, but villains that murder entire populations. They never seemed to know when it was appropriate to be funny or to go totally dark.
Ant Man and The Wasp, however, is completely consistent in its tone. The "supervillain" in it is more of the gray-area type. The actual conflict in the movie has more to do with the heroes trying to save someone, and the villains are really just there to add some adventure to the proceedings (unlike just about every other Marvel movie, where the villains are the conflict).
Main thing is that it's just a really fun movie. The same can be said of most Marvel flicks, sure, but I think I had more fun watching this than... well, with any of the others. I think Winter Soldier and Civil War are still my overall favorites in the whole franchise (for the action and stories and all), but Ant Man and The Wasp is definitely better in the way of fun.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Am I the only one who reckons Civil War was one of their weakest films?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Cyberman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Am I the only one who reckons Civil War was one of their weakest films?

Not really. It had some decent parts such as the fight at the airport .
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:01 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Am I the only one who reckons Civil War was one of their weakest films?

I would have liked it better had I never read the comics. It felt so scaled back and watered down compared to the source material. We need superhero regulation because a floor got blown out of some office building? In the original a whole SCHOOL full of kids died. Disney just isn't willing to go that dark, so we have something overly stripped down and sanitized for good, wholesome family friendly fun.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 pm

For me personally, Civil War was exactly what turned me off completely from Marvel comics back in the day, and I haven't bothered reading any since (it all sounds pretty shitty nowadays anyway). Just such an obvious shock-value ploy all around, from making Tony Stark the "bad guy" so to speak (because the side most readers will fall into is pretty obvious), to Captain America being killed and so on. After everything the Marvel universe had been through up to that point in the comics, from the 60s onward, a political issue was not going to be the thing that brings everyone to such drastic blows as all that. It stood, for me, as the final proof that Marvel just couldn't help trying to be as embarrassingly "edgy" as they could anymore. A lot had been adding up to that previously, but Civil War was the final nail in the coffin for me.

So feeling that way about the comics, I was pretty pleasantly surprised by the movie. This Marvel universe is much, much younger, and its heroes aren't as thoroughly acquainted with each other as they were in the comics; therefore, yeah, a political issue would divide them much more easily. Same goes for the actual reasoning behind the politics; all the grand disasters that have happened in the movies (which are the actual reasons for the regulation, not just the destruction of one floor of a building) have happened within a single decade, in a much more believable setting, in a world that still isn't used to the presence of super-powered beings. Maybe it isn't as "big," but it's a movie, not a publisher-wide crossover featuring 50 years worth of characters. In-context with the movies, it's just a much more solid, entertaining, and appropriate story than it ever was in the comics.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby oliquidrusho » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:15 pm

I don't know, I actually think Civil War was one of the best entries. I only have Winter Soldier above it for best MCU entry.

What made you think it was one of the weaker ones?
oliquidrusho

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm

It just didn't feel right to me, almost as if it was half epilogue of Winter Soldier & Age of Ultron and half prologue for Infinity War. I enjoyed the moments between Falcon n Bucky, but other than that I just wasn't really on board with it.

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I remember thinkin to myself "why are people raving about this film so much?" Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad film by any means, however it's still one of my least favourite entries.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to Off Topic