Shenmue 1 on PC via a DC emulator

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue 1 on PC via a DC emulator

Postby PILMAN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:30 am

I saw a DC emulator was released and it DOES work with Shenmue as confirmed via the site. The only problem is they want you to make a image of the game then mount it as a virtual drive. How is that even possible with GD-ROM? I tried doing it with "Whats Shenmue" but the emulator doesn't work with it, is there anyway to copy the files off a GD?
Oh also if this is violating the rules mods please delete this post.

(EDIT by Miles Prower: Combined your two posts into one, please use the edit button next time)
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:55 am

8. No discussion of HOW to illegally acquire copyrighted material or posting links to websites promoting subversion of copyright is allowed. Any threads (topics) created with this purpose risk being LOCKED or deleted. Additionally, posting files that breach this rule warrants a straight warning.

As long as you don't link to the emulator, or give hints on how to acquire it, this thread should be okay ^^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby GamesMaster » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:47 am

What you mean like this?

:lol: No sorry I'm only joking, that's just my DC playing on my PC monitor :lol: I have no idea how you would make an image from a GD-ROM but if you have the original why do you want to play it on an emulator?
From my experience of emulators they never run things properly in fact I've yet to come across a SNES emu that plays full speed, full screen and full sound so I can only imagine what a DC one would be like :D
GamesMaster
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby PILMAN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:16 pm

Well that's using a VGA adapter yes? The emulator allows you to take advantage of the game through your computer specs, I saw some pictures looks pretty neat. Basically I'm trying to find out how to convert a GD into a .CDI but thats kind of impossible via a regular cd player since it only reads 3 txt files through the cd. I was told I need a coders cable, I would ask where to get backup files of the game but I don't want to sound like I'm into piracy here though I own the original game. I wish they made a emulator where you could just insert the cd kind of like the PSX emulator.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JC 2K3 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:58 pm

PILMAN wrote:Well that's using a VGA adapter yes? The emulator allows you to take advantage of the game through your computer specs, I saw some pictures looks pretty neat. Basically I'm trying to find out how to convert a GD into a .CDI but thats kind of impossible via a regular cd player since it only reads 3 txt files through the cd. I was told I need a coders cable, I would ask where to get backup files of the game but I don't want to sound like I'm into piracy here though I own the original game. I wish they made a emulator where you could just insert the cd kind of like the PSX emulator.

I haven't ever done it but I've seen loads of guides(Search for copying DC games on google), once you get the coders cable it should be pretty easy(Although it takes a VERY long time and there is a danger that your DC could melt for being on so long)

You could just use P2P or something and search for the ready made .cdi files to save yourself the hassle.
JC 2K3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Daemos » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:05 pm

This subject has been in discussion in the PC Forum here:
http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~shenmuedoj ... hp?t=16271
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby PILMAN » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:15 pm

I got it working.

PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby paddy_ryan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:00 pm

More pics I love um'
paddy_ryan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:51 am

Wow, it seems to run the game really well
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby PILMAN » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:38 am

While the graphics do look better there are several bugs still.

-Music has some problems after Lan Di kills your father
-Texture problems sometimes certain textures flash and interfere with other textures, ryos hair looks odd sometimes it's see through in certain parts
-Ryo appears transparent outside
-Still some framerate issues but that is because the emulator is still in alpha
-Certain parts of the game look worst because the graphics make certain textures look worst however some textures you can ACTUALLY see that you couldn't in the DC like certain signs that were blurred etc. on dreamcast, also the door to the one "mart" place in the subtown before Dobuita the door instead of being a shade is completely clear though it looks completely better which can be seen in the first picture

Also I noticed that some of the clothes looks a LOT better like Lan Di's robe appears a little blurred on the DC or stretched but on the PC it looks very good, some of the things in general seem to look better which is surprising to me can't wait till final release of the emulator.

I'll get more pictures
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby extraordinarybadgrocer » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:42 am

It looks very sharp indeed- Nice!
extraordinarybadgrocer
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby JC 2K3 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:48 am

Is the emu open source????

Possibility of getting an Xbox dev to port it to Xbox if so!
JC 2K3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby CzarnY » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:57 am

I don't think that a standard xbox would handle it, though. Standard = without added RAM etc.
CzarnY
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:24 am

Umm... the Xbox would handle Shenmue just fine. The DC had a 3D emulator "bleemcast" and it played PS1 games no problem. But I wonder why no one hasnt made any emulators for the XBox yet. I would suppose it to be easy.

I would do this on my PC but I refule to play emulators without a gamepad but the reciever on my wingman is acting really stupid, it decides to go in "stealth" mode by turning it self off in mid game. :/
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby CzarnY » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:40 pm

Game - of course it would, we have Shenmue 2X for god's sake ;)
What I'm saying, is that the platform on which the emulator is run, has to be a lot stronger than the emulated hardware. There's still no 100% working N64 emu for the xbox, for example.
CzarnY

Next

Return to Shenmue