which game do you prefer S1 or S2?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby Jacob Marley » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:35 pm

I do love both games, the Shenmue 1 gets my vote for being the best of the two.

Smaller, more intimate environment. Smaller cast of NPC's and whatnot that you could get to know more over the course of the game. Absolutely revolutionary concept and execution for its time...I was in complete awe of this game when I bought it at launch. Everything just seemed to work perfectly in the grand scheme of things. Hell, I even called in sick to work to play the game, which is something I've never done before! :o
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby rhubarb505 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:59 pm

Oh man, so hard to choose! However I have to go with Shenmue II. Although there were some features that were removed that shouldnt have been, the sheer size of Shenmue two still amazes me to this day.
rhubarb505
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kingdom Hearts Master » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:55 pm

I love both of the games equally
Kingdom Hearts Master
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JAPANFAN » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:36 am

Shenmue

I love both games (they're probably my first and second favourite, respectively), but the first just has a feel about it that I love. There's a certain ambiance to it, and it's better than anything in any title I've ever played before (and probably ever will play).
JAPANFAN
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:27 am

When it comes to music, exploring, original arcade, and just plain walking home after work and admire the sky outside that world: then Shenmue wins hands down.

When it comes to better pacing of a storyline, better characterization, bigger arcade, more mini-games, and better voicework: Shenmue II wins hands down.

If I had to pick, you'd be waiting an eternity my friends. Cause there's so much to like and hate (well, for me anyway) about both games that just make them so special.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby TailsAndy89 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:20 pm

it's always s1, s2 didn't do much for me.
TailsAndy89
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Duece » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:51 pm

I've finished Shenmue 1 and I am gonna give Shenmue 2 another shot, this time around I have to make sure I have enough money saved for the parts when I have to pay to fight these certain characters
Duece
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Araviel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:43 am

II
Araviel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby FoxHound » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:27 pm

Love them both dearly, but Shenmue II takes the crown. Xiuying alone ensures that. Favorite.Character.Ever.
FoxHound
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GambiT » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:55 am

Shenmue I at the minute... I've completed that one the most recently lol. Though now I've started to play SII it'll probably switch... Damn Yu Suzuki, give us a number 3 thats better than I and II.
GambiT

Postby Gamer2 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:37 pm

well i like shenmue 1 better becouse i can relate to the souroundings a small town and i would go nuts in a big city
Gamer2
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Dicimania » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:41 pm

Shenmue 1. Because it was with more love to detail. And I remeberd how amazed i was over the atmosphere, the graphic, the sound.

Shenmue 2 is of course a great game, but to me not so familiar as Shenmue 1 (I beat shenmue 1 over 5 times, shenmue 2 only 1).

Shenmue 1 is the best game for me off all times. I will never forget this experiance, all was (is) so realistic. Changing wheather (snow, rain, sun...), going to bars at nigths. Man toooo bad that not all videogames have such an atmosphere :(
Dicimania
Asia Travel Representative

Postby drex » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:05 pm

I think if i was playing both games now, I'd probably say Shenmue II was the most enjoyable, because it is slightly faster paced and there is a bigger world to explore.
I am currently playing Shenmue 1 again though, and I really can't find anything i don't like about it, I absolutely love the intimacy of the surroundings and the fact that almost everyone knows eachother.

Together thay make the perfect combination
drex

Previous

Return to Shenmue