Shenmue's voice talent

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue's voice talent

Postby BallisticFaceGuy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:57 pm

A while back, while lurking on the Dojo site and forums, I read the neat little piece regarding Shenmue II's voice talent and the conditions that they had to go through. Recently, I was reading an article on Hardcore Gaming 101 where they talked about Jeremy Blaustein, a man in charge of many localisations for Japanese games, including Metal Gear Solid. His company worked on Shenmue, not as the localisation team, however, but as the company in charge of recording the english voices. It's a pretty interesting bit of info, and I recommend a read through. Check it out: http://hardcoregaming101.net/jb/jb.htm
BallisticFaceGuy
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Mario Kart 8

Re: Shenmue's voice talent

Postby Spokane » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks for the read, its funny how he says that the only English actors available in Japan were the ones who already failed in America. I guess that was a mistake Suzuki made according to this guy, not letting the English recording be done in America.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby The_Intruder » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:29 pm

I read the article what a mess. I think if they make Shenmue 3 they should leave it in Japanese language with sub.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Peter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Absolutely. Yakuza has proven that authentic VA is far superior over the English Dubs. No disrespect to any of the talented actors here on the boards, but i really hope its kept in its native language.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Have to mute the damn games in English.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby The_Intruder » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:05 pm

And they can reduce cost by leaving the game with Japanese language.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Bambi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Haha! Oh man this article is amazing, thanks for much for posting it!

As much as we all owe Suzuki for giving us Shenmue it seems obvious he's also batshit crazy, my favourite excerpt was:
Despite all the hard work that went into finding Corey, the end result was not without irony, as Blaustein notes. "Now, let me recap. We've done a worldwide search for this guy, we find a complete amateur, not hugely talented but good looking enough to be called good looking. He did martial arts so we could say he did them. He satisfied a lot of the checkmarks, and then they changed his voice electronically at the end of all this, to make him sound younger! Isn't that ironic? Isn't that hilarious, that after all that work they change his voice?"

:lol:
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Bambi wrote:Haha! Oh man this article is amazing, thanks for much for posting it!

As much as we all owe Suzuki for giving us Shenmue it seems obvious he's also batshit crazy, my favourite excerpt was:
Despite all the hard work that went into finding Corey, the end result was not without irony, as Blaustein notes. "Now, let me recap. We've done a worldwide search for this guy, we find a complete amateur, not hugely talented but good looking enough to be called good looking. He did martial arts so we could say he did them. He satisfied a lot of the checkmarks, and then they changed his voice electronically at the end of all this, to make him sound younger! Isn't that ironic? Isn't that hilarious, that after all that work they change his voice?"

:lol:

It's just as bad in Japanese. Yu made the most classic mistake in bad casting. Casting people who looked like the character. Yu has no future as a casting director :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bambi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:31 pm

I'd always assumed the English voice actors weren't given enough direction or that the directions weren't being translated properly sort of like this scene from Lost in Translation.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQnH450hPM[/youtube]
Dialogue

Director: [in Japanese] Mr. Bob-san, you are relaxing in your study. On the table is a bottle of Suntory whiskey. Got it? Look slowly, with feeling, at the camera, and say it gently – say it as if you were speaking to an old friend. Just like Bogie in Casablanca, "Here's looking at you, kid" – Suntory time.

Ms. Kawasaki: Umm. He want you to turn, looking at camera. OK?

Bob: That's all he said?

Ms. Kawasaki: Yes. Turn to camera.

Bob: All right. Does he want me to turn from the right, or turn from the left?

Ms. Kawasaki: [to director, in Japanese] Uh, umm. He's ready now. He just wants to know if he's supposed to turn from the left or turn from the right when the camera rolls. What should I tell him?

Director: [in Japanese] What difference does it make! Makes no difference! Don't have time for that! Got it, Bob-san? Just psych yourself up, and quick! Look straight at the camera. At the camera. And slowly. With passion. Straight at the camera. And in your eyes there's... passion. Got it?

Ms. Kawasaki: [to Bob] Right side. And with intensity. OK?

Bob: Is that everything? It seemed like he said quite a bit more than that.

Director: [to Bob, in Japanese] Listen, listen. This isn't just about whiskey. Understand? Imagine you're talking to an old friend. Gently. The emotions bubble up from the bottom of your heart. And don't forget, psych yourself up!

Ms. Kawasaki: Like an old friend. And, into the camera.

Bob: Okay.

Director: [in Japanese] Got it? You love whiskey. It's Suntory time. OK?

Bob: Okay.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Good movie :)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Dya know ive never seen it. Im gonna have to check it out!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Return to Shenmue