Grizzled Dojo Vets...question.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:11 am

ShinChuck wrote:That's why yours truly started an annual tradition on GameFAQs of playing through the game around Thanksgiving every year. Annual, as in two years running, but still, hopefully this'll be three... c.c

Myles(not Miles) did that here at SD few years back and we had a forum notebook of what we did that day and we played in real life to the actual days in the game..I remember Kiyuu and Lan Di Sama and others doing it..I want something like that to return to the Dojo. :D
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:50 am

It's gonna be a while before I can play Shenmue again. And as for Shenmue II? I simply don't have the patience. Maybe if I get an Xbox (original or 360) and Shenmue II things will change, until then though, I'm stuck with the annoying fact that reading the subtitles is a must, not just an optional back-up.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:48 am

At the moment, I don't really have the patience either. I've played through both games plenty of times already (though I'm sure not as many times as some of you psychos on here), and eventually I'll probably get hit with nostalgia and want to get my Dreamcast or Xbox back out (I haven't played either in a pretty long while).
The fact is, Shenmue is a series that I agree is fantastic, but it isn't necessarily my favorite. Like Kenny, I think I'm probably one of the more honest, level-headed Shenmue fans out there. But there are just too many other great games in the world for me to get so held up on just two of them.
I mean, I've heard members on here mention how Shenmue is the only series of videogames they play. They refuse to try anything new because "nothing can stand up to Shenmue".
Which is bullshit.
Yes, Shenmue is great. And yes, Shenmue is unique. But is it the only game worth playing in the world?
Hell fucking no.
There's a whole world of amazing games out there. I still feel like playing Shenmue every now and then, but only about as much as I play my old PS1 or Genesis games.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Mr.Tambourine Man » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:50 pm

OL wrote:At the moment, I don't really have the patience either. I've played through both games plenty of times already (though I'm sure not as many times as some of you psychos on here), and eventually I'll probably get hit with nostalgia and want to get my Dreamcast or Xbox back out (I haven't played either in a pretty long while).
The fact is, Shenmue is a series that I agree is fantastic, but it isn't necessarily my favorite. Like Kenny, I think I'm probably one of the more honest, level-headed Shenmue fans out there. But there are just too many other great games in the world for me to get so held up on just two of them.
I mean, I've heard members on here mention how Shenmue is the only series of videogames they play. They refuse to try anything new because "nothing can stand up to Shenmue".
Which is bullshit.
Yes, Shenmue is great. And yes, Shenmue is unique. But is it the only game worth playing in the world?
Hell fucking no.
There's a whole world of amazing games out there. I still feel like playing Shenmue every now and then, but only about as much as I play my old PS1 or Genesis games.

I agree. While Shenmue will be my favourite series, purely because of my memories with it and the Dreamcast, and how I happily shoved 250 bucks into an original Xbox to play Shenmue 2, I hardly play it anymore. It's like my obligatory favourite series. But now I am much more into other games. I don't believe that "nothing can stand up to Shenmue". People, wake up. Better games than Shenmue have come and gone since 1999. It doesn't make me any less of a Shenmue fan to say that it's not a perfect game, it's [/i]not. But it will always be great.
Mr.Tambourine Man
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:36 pm

STFU with the "honest" junk that is the gray hair talking.
We can all be honest and talk about all the flaws if we wanted.
This topic is about dropping the gray hair and for those who can take the stick out their old wrinkled gamer butt's and be innocent again as a gamers for this series every so often.

Then when the mood has passed we shove the sticks back in go to the porch and be cranky again.
If you can't stop being the "honest" crank every so often then GTFO.
:ugh: :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:17 pm

It's one thing to talk about them, it's another to acknowledge them.

Even when I first played it, I was pissed off with the directing, story, and the voice acting. The best thing was the environment, which I can't complain about and I enjoy the most. It was the reason why I bought the game again after returning it weeks earlier.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby redline » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:32 pm

you know when your dc is a relic of gaming history when it wont work on your HDtv.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby GambiT » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:45 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i have a scart so it works on mine :) and it looks sweet. but that means nothing, i'm not going to pull my dreamcast out. i'd rather remember how it felt through the rose tinted glasses of my child like innocence then plug it in and be reminded that it has been far surpassed which it most certainly has.

i love the series atmosphere and how advanced it was at 'the time'. but at the minute all i can say is fuck sega. i hope they never get the chance to make shenmue 3 because they'd only fuck it up, hell id rather EA took a shot and thats saying something because i despise EA.
GambiT
Master of the Three Blades

Postby redline » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:56 pm

GambiT wrote:i hope they never get the chance to make shenmue 3 because they'd only fuck it up, .

well they did a good job of shenmue online.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShinChuck » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:31 pm

-Ryudo- wrote:STFU with the "honest" junk that is the gray hair talking.
This topic is about dropping the gray hair and for those who can take the stick out their old wrinkled gamer butt's and be innocent again as a gamers for this series every so often.

Then when the mood has passed we shove the sticks back in go to the porch and be cranky again.

<3 Ryudo.
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Varg » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Been awhile since I played, but I'm thinking of digging out the Dreamcast again soon. Still have fond memories of playing through Shenmue for the first time, back in winter of 2000.
Varg
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Been an absolute age since I played Shenmue II. Only a couple of months since I last touched Shenmue I. I remember wanting to play Shenmue after seeing the advertisement of it on Sky Interactive (satellite). This was before I had the interwebs. The trailer was great, got me wanting the Dreamcast immediately, it also helped that I was a big fan of Bruce Lee at the time too, I was really into those martial art flicks. The first time I played the game, it did blow me away, since it had everything I wished for it to be, and so much more...detailed than I could ever begin to comprehend. It was a brilliantly realised experience for me. I agree there are plenty more games out there that are just as amazing, but honestly, Shenmue left the most impact on me, since it was easily the most detailed game I'd played up until that point and the first series for me to get completely obsessed with.

I'd honestly thought I'd played the pinnacle of what games could be when I first went through the likes of MGS and then LoZ:OoT, which I honestly believed would never be surpassed but I was proven very wrong yet again; there were other titles out there that could go above and beyond that, hence me getting back into gaming shortly after playing Shenmue.

Isn't it also funny how our opinions change with time too? I couldn't imagine being more blown away than I was with Shenmue, but repeat the cycle again, and other games knocked it off its perch. I still value Shenmue very highly though, easily in my top three games of all time.

Oh, and...

-Ryudo- wrote:STFU with the "honest" junk that is the gray hair talking.

:)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MadeManG74 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:03 am

n00b posting, but eh...

I don't play it as much as most people here seem to, but thats because its one of those games (along with Skies of Arcadia, Shining Force III and a few others), that I absolutely love, and will only play them when I know I can play it pretty solidly for a few weeks and play through the whole thing. I don't like hte idea of playing it a couple of days and then leaving it for weeks to come back and try and pick up where I left off or something. (come to think of it, the summer months are generaly pretty slow release-wise, so I might go back and play some of those old classics again soon)

Because of that, I generally only play it through during holidays or when new game releases are really slow and I can just concentrate on Shenmue I and II and nothing else.

Having said that, each time, since Its so long between playthroughs I get floored by its greatness. I always remember back to reading every article I could find in Dreamcast Magazines and playing it through the first time.

I get that feeling with a lot of old console games though, playing through Sonic Adventures on Dreamcast gives me a similar feeling, as does playing through games on Saturn.

I agree with OL that theres too many other good and new games out there that I haven't played yet to ignore them in favour of Shenmue. Shenmue is still my favourite games but I still love to play the new releases.
MadeManG74

Postby Supa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:06 am

It feels very good to play Shenmue, at least to me. That immersiveness gets me all the time.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:15 am

Anyone who says there has been no amazing games since Shenmue is a flat out tard.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue