Your favorite Shenmue character?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Your favorite Shenmue character?

Postby mue 26 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:40 pm

south carmain wrote:^ yeah I was just making a joke, hong kong was a pretty rough city in the 80's or so I was told, the fact they made a lot of the npc's look ugly was probably to portray a working class area and promote the gritty atmosphere, it would look out of place to put people who look like they live in the suburbs walking around the gritty high rises of kowloon

:lol: It is kinda true, though. So many of those NPC's do look proper mashup. I would think that they were probably going for a more gritty/working class feel to the Chinese though, as the game is also quite clearly packed with an incredible amount of love for China and Chinese culture too. Maybe the team were just trying to represent how they felt the people of HK differed in appearance to Japanese, but got a little carried away?

^I used to think it was really bad but it seems most Japanese aren't really racist they are just not used to foreigners so are a little ignorant and us westerners qualify a lot of ignorant things as being racist, that's the way I see it, their far right nationalist groups are far from as violent as ours anyway even if they are loud shouting "white pig go home

I don't know why, but that vid did make me laugh. However, racism can be quite a serious issue in Japan at times, it may be because they aren't used to as multi cultural a society as we are, but it still doesn't excuse it. The tension between China and Japan is also quite a thorny issue, what with Japan still refusing to apologise for some truly horrendous war crimes (I mean seriously, is it that hard to just apologise!). And from what I've read, the mayor of Tokyo Shintaro Ishihara sounds like a bona fide bigot and all round nutter. Yet he's been mayor since 1999! As well as being a denier of the Nanking massacre who believes the Chinese made it all up as propaganda (which is completely insane), he just sounds like an all round racist, sexist and homophobe. Here are some choice quotes from him courtesy of wiki

Roppongi is now virtually a foreign neighborhood. Africans — I don't mean African-Americans — who don't speak English are there doing who knows what. This is leading to new forms of crime such as car theft. We should be letting in people who are intelligent

old women who live after they have lost their reproductive function are useless and are committing a sin

and to those who criticized him for making the statement, he called
tyrant… old women

It's almost funny. I mean, he makes Boris Johnson look like mother Theresa. How the hell has he remained in a mayoral role for so long!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue May 22, 2012 8:14 am

shengoro86 wrote:Here he is.

:rotflmao: dear god!
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Supa » Tue May 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Ryudo wrote:Serious answer. Ren & Joy & Ghuizang.

Ren is funny but cool. Joy would be hot yet annoying but still likeable. Ghuizang is a badass and dashing fellow as he kicks ass.

I said before but Ryo I'm sorry but he sucks. His personality is wood. His VA is terrible. He is also a moron. He just resembles every textbook thing how NOT to make a main character. Ok ok he isn't as bad as Vaan. Still Ryo should have been the best in the game. When really he is the Hayden Christensen of the series.

I slightly disagree on Ryo, I mean he's dumb when we're playing as him, but in the most of the cutscenes he shows development and I like how he evolves throughout the two games.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 22, 2012 12:23 pm

He had zero development. Same wooden Hayden Christensen in the first and second game.
It's mainly because of bad writing bad direction and lousy acting. At this point when you play you expect this at the end of the game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue May 22, 2012 2:09 pm

I think the coolest guy is the one from the dobuita bakery in SHenmue 1. Just because he thinks sloooooow...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Ryo actually does development over the course of the two games. In the first he has much more of a mean streak and is quick to fight, but over the course the second game he definitely mellows out a bit. There is actually plenty of development in Ryo over the course of the second game as he learns to survive in a new country, make new friends and to centre himself. His dialogue and acting isn't exactly stellar, but he does definitely develop.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spokane » Tue May 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Another funny as heck looking guy I can think of is the clerk at GAME YOU or Pine Game Arcade, can't remember which one specifically.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed May 23, 2012 9:28 am

You definitely see a more talkative Ryo by the end of Disc 3 and Disc 4. He often initiates discussions with Shenhua and actually (gasp!) talks about his feelings, such as when he describes the effect the Shenmue tree started to have on him right away.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Supa » Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 pm

I agree. Ryo at the start of the story is hell bent on revenge, and by the end of II, he's a lot more relaxed. Kinda like the TGS interview recently where Yu Suzuki mentioned he would be less focused on revenge.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Never had a problem with Ryo. Sure he comes off as dumb at times but name one character that doesn't?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Spokane » Wed May 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Master Chen.

Yuanda Zhu.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Supa » Wed May 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Lan Di.
Ren.
Guizhang.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Wed May 23, 2012 6:43 pm

mue 26 wrote:........

well I'm sure there are a lot of political reasons why they don't want to apologise either, if they did then China would be entitled to request reparations, all though a lot of Chinese deserve it, with all the tension going on between china and it's neighbors the chinese government would probably take full advantage of this to take the upper hand in the disputes between the 2 countries, and as harsh as the Japanese may seem by doing this China really isn't a country you want to show weakness to

as for the mayor I agree he is a bigot, but also if crime rates got surprisingly high after foreigners moved into roppingi then I can understand why some Japanese have this point of view, after all immigration isn't as common there as it is in the west so a lot of Japanese view people who come from other countries as guests they allow to stay there, and if a guest starts breaking and stealing your stuff then you become less fond of letting him in your house, but of course all this is generalising and there are always the innocent hard working people who suffer from generalisation

as for the old women comment he made I really don't know what to say, why would he even comment on such a thing, that's just wrong :lol:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shengoro86 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Spokane wrote:Another funny as heck looking guy I can think of is the clerk at GAME YOU or Pine Game Arcade, can't remember which one specifically.

This is the guy game You Arcade. Yuji Nito.

I dont have a picture of the 2 workers from Pine Game Arcade.
Shikai Jin and Enhao Jin
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Spokane » Wed May 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I guess he's not that funny looking afterall, I remember him a bit differently.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue