(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby SeppukoPanda » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:53 am

Epic, I'm looking forward to this.
SeppukoPanda
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Ryo Hazukki » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:30 pm

dinojan wrote:Image

Holy fucking shit-balls is all I gotta say to that. Seriously, I knew you were good but fuck me, that's pretty incredible.
Ryo Hazukki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Nits-Ujio » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:06 pm

Lets say you were to get this game made. What console would you put it on? I really love the models, however, I believe there are just too many polygons and details. If you could reduce them, then it would be able to play far better on certain platforms. But again, it depends on what console/system you want to play them on, and when it would be released.
Nits-Ujio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 pm

Nits-Ujio wrote:Lets say you were to get this game made. What console would you put it on? I really love the models, however, I believe there are just too many polygons and details. If you could reduce them, then it would be able to play far better on certain platforms. But again, it depends on what console/system you want to play them on, and when it would be released.

BAN!!!
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Nits-Ujio wrote:Lets say you were to get this game made. What console would you put it on? I really love the models, however, I believe there are just too many polygons and details. If you could reduce them, then it would be able to play far better on certain platforms. But again, it depends on what console/system you want to play them on, and when it would be released.

PC.
And be released whenever Dino feels it's ready I would imagine.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby random331 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:31 pm

ok here shenmue poster

soon i will post a storyboard
random331
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Resident Joel » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Shouldn't that read "Coming when I find some programmers"? Or has that been taken care of now?
Resident Joel

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:24 pm

I assume you'll be doing all the cutscenes yourself?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Jesus » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:46 am

Those are some pretty realistic scenes you're posting up. I wish you the best of luck with this project. It's apparent that you're putting plenty of effort into this. I hope with this and all the other the things Shenmue fans are doing, we can bring back Shenmue!
Jesus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ryo's Room » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:35 pm

coming along well i see
Ryo's Room
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:19 pm

A storyboard? Dude, please.. just stick to the modeling.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: Very bad news

Postby Mr.Tambourine Man » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:30 pm

Did you ever use that theory about Zhu Yuan Da for your game, dino?
Mr.Tambourine Man
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Denny » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:11 pm

dinojan wrote:some of the detail in my shenmue game

some textures are hidden cause they slow down my PC

First off, you're a very talented modeler and as someone doing games design in college I respect your work. Kudos.

However, I feel that I have to step in here and make a few things known that I feel are problems. From my point of view detail is one thing but modeling every nut and bolt or every capsule is wasting polygons. Granted it looks superb but when games are developed developers, even by todays standards, must cut on polys whenever they see fit. Seeing as you're into softimage I assume you know what I mean. For instance, in college we're currently making a level set around a saw mill. I'm modeling in 3ds max and try to watch my poly count for any given mesh as if I were to curve every surface and detail every single point then the game would ground to a stand still. If you're going ahead with this project I suggest going back to the start and modeling it with polygons in mind unless you want something that's extremely slow. Rendering it out in a nice image is one thing but playing it at a smooth frame rate is another.

Also, from what I've seen it looks like you're making the whole thing in softimage. If you were to import that to a game engine it'd be almost impossible to code around it. In our game we're doing I make every single mesh a separate file with the UVW files bundled with it. That's how it should be done to be honest even within the industry.

I seriously don't say this to put a damper on the project as it looks lovely. I was just snooping around as I plan on making an environment from Shenmue in 3d within the Half Life 2 Source Engine and I thought I'd trow in my two cents.
Denny
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ThomasMackenzie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Denny wrote:
dinojan wrote:some of the detail in my shenmue game

some textures are hidden cause they slow down my PC

First off, you're a very talented modeler and as someone doing games design in college I respect your work. Kudos.

However, I feel that I have to step in here and make a few things known that I feel are problems. From my point of view detail is one thing but modeling every nut and bolt or every capsule is wasting polygons. Granted it looks superb but when games are developed developers, even by todays standards, must cut on polys whenever they see fit. Seeing as you're into softimage I assume you know what I mean. For instance, in college we're currently making a level set around a saw mill. I'm modeling in 3ds max and try to watch my poly count for any given mesh as if I were to curve every surface and detail every single point then the game would ground to a stand still. If you're going ahead with this project I suggest going back to the start and modeling it with polygons in mind unless you want something that's extremely slow. Rendering it out in a nice image is one thing but playing it at a smooth frame rate is another.

Also, from what I've seen it looks like you're making the whole thing in softimage. If you were to import that to a game engine it'd be almost impossible to code around it. In our game we're doing I make every single mesh a separate file with the UVW files bundled with it. That's how it should be done to be honest even within the industry.

I seriously don't say this to put a damper on the project as it looks lovely. I was just snooping around as I plan on making an environment from Shenmue in 3d within the Half Life 2 Source Engine and I thought I'd trow in my two cents.

you do have a point there, detail is good. but toomuch detail and lag will start to set it and framerates will be 0!
ThomasMackenzie
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Krattle » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:41 pm

I have to agree. Unless you are just making Sakuragaoka there's no way anyone could handle this game. If you plan on modeling all of the same environments seen in Shenmue then you had better split it the same way they did in the game. You had also better make some big decisions about what needs to be modeled and what can be more effectively achieved with a texture, e.g. nuts and bolts or the entire interior of a car. Just black out the windows like they did in the game. Not to mention you'll never finish if you try to maintain that level of detail - you'll just burn yourself out.

If we all had 12 GB RAM and 4 state-of-the-art graphics cards and a 3.8 GHz overclocked quad-core processor, then I would say go ahead, put as much f***ing detail in the game as you want, but no one owns that kind of comp. I wish we could all own comps like that so we could play games that detailed.
Krattle

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue