Does Nozomi Know Martial Arts?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Does Nozomi Know Martial Arts?

Postby Felix88 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:08 am

I tried to seach, but did not find any info!

When i saw one of the Shenmue promo magazines, it looked like she had som kind of martial art suit!
Do we get any info about that subject? I know she did not do any recistans to the Mad Angles, but that does not mean she is unknown to the arts
Felix88
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Re: Does Nozomi Know Martial Arts?

Postby Axm » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:36 am

I don't think she openly practices martial arts. It isn't mentioned in the game at all. But if you saw it in a magazine it might not be far off from truth.
As some may or may not know, Japanese High School's actually have a sports requirement for atleast 1 or 2 years. So it's not uncommon for a Japanese high schooler, male or female, to take courses like Karate, Judo or Kendo.
Judo is usually a popular choice and alot of girls take it for self defense against sexual preditors etc.
In Nozomi's case it would be against the Mad Angels or any of the more questionable around Dobuita.

It could very well be that one of the reasons Ryo's is attracted to Nozomi, or Nozomi is attracted to Ryo is because of her Karate or Judo experience in school.
I suppose if the game was less centered on Ryo's getting revenge and ignoring Nozomi's advances that this kind of conversation might come up through small talk.
"So Nozomi how was Judo today? Flip any prissy girls over your shoulder?" etc.

Would be cool if theirs a big remake of the game someday and they make more room for open dialogue between the two.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby almostpersuaded » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:59 am

Well, I call her pretty much everyday and she always out according to her gran. So maybe she spends the time practising some martial art? Other than that I can only say I wish I had seen an image of Nozomi, or any other character, in alternate clothing.
almostpersuaded
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Beneath a Steel Sky

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Im not too sure if you may be correct in that its a Martial Arts type of clothing she has on. If its this image you are talking about, then i would be more inclined to say its a comfort robe, worn indoors. Like something a female would wear over her pyjamas.

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:09 pm

That's just a kimono. Not martial arts clothing. Just a traditional clothing worn by women and children. Kimono means "something to wear" . Now they are worn on special days or events.

If she knew martial arts she would have kicked some ass when being bullied
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Kimono, thats the word!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiyuu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:19 am

Peter wrote:Im not too sure if you may be correct in that its a Martial Arts type of clothing she has on. If its this image you are talking about, then i would be more inclined to say its a comfort robe, worn indoors. Like something a female would wear over her pyjamas.

That's not a comfort robe, but an expensive kind of "kimono" called "haregi" which is worn for some special occasions, such as the New Year's holidays or wedding parties. Actually, that image of Nozomi is for a New Years greeting card.

On topic, I don't think Nozomi has learned any martial arts. In the 80's, fewer girls took martial arts lessons even
in Japan, and I've never seen any sign that Nozomi is interested in martial arts.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Felix88 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 am

Its proberly that picture i saw! But in the picture i saw, then you only saw her from the had to the shoulders!

But when i see the complete picture then i see its not a "ninja suit":D
Felix88
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby ys » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:53 pm

I don't really think that Nozomi practices martial arts either. I never got that vibe and I think that they would have made it more obvious if that was the case. Considering the game is focused on martial arts I mean.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Ya if its that Kimono you saw then that settles it. She cant flip anyone then. Too bad. I was excited at the tought of Nozomi knowing any kind of martial arts. :lol:

Kiyuu wrote:On topic, I don't think Nozomi has learned any martial arts. In the 80's, fewer girls took martial arts lessons even in Japan, and I've never seen any sign that Nozomi is interested in martial arts.

Ya Nozomi doesnt seem like type.
And so fewer girls took martial arts in the '80s? Did you personally ever get a chance to do Judo or anything in school then if you went in the 90's? Seems like a fun sport to do. Something I would have liked to do. Or rather Kendo, seems interesting. I've been thinking about taking lessons in that actually.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Myles » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:00 pm

I took Jiu Jitsu for a few years. Martial Arts are great but vigirous.
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yamagashi-San » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine her being a martial artist. Her character is too sensitive and it is never mentioned.
Yamagashi-San
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: UpstairsMuffin

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Felix88 wrote:I tried to seach, but did not find any info!

When i saw one of the Shenmue promo magazines, it looked like she had som kind of martial art suit!
Do we get any info about that subject? I know she did not do any recistans to the Mad Angles, but that does not mean she is unknown to the arts

I think i know the image you are refering to -

While i did not study kimonos I am very sure that from the material and design this is no sports/martial arts kimono but something for special occassions, like the kimono a woman would wear on new years eve or to go out dining.

She VERY probably never practiced any martial arts. If you remember the scene where she defended the kid with the toy airplane she clearly showed neither the skills not the motion/reaction of someone who practices martial arts.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Res » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Nozomi is actually Lan Di in disguise.
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue