A first-timer's opinion on Shenmue

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

A first-timer's opinion on Shenmue

Postby Red_Ryo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Hello everyone. Don't want to make the post longer but I'll just say I've know about this game for a long time but never actually got the chance to play it till now, its kind of a long story. I've heard about this site before as well, I thought i'd make an account an give my thoughts about the game here.

Wasn’t entirely sure what to expect when starting this game but I knew I wanted to try it as I love traditional Japanese architecture, Samurai and just the overall atmosphere these type of games produce (Onimusha, Okami, Nioh, Yakuza). I thought in the end this was a big factor in order to fully enjoy this game because a huge thing about it is it’s world.

I love how the world in Shenmue is alive and constantly breathing. I think this is one of the best things about it, you have to truly immerse yourself in it in order for the game not to feel like a chore.

Another big factor that adds to this game was the beginning. I think Shenmue has one of my favorite beginnings in a game as it really hooks you to the story immediately and makes you connect with the main character. After that initial cutscene I’m already hyped to go out and find what’s going on.

So basically we have a game that focuses in huge part on investigative work and that might have been kind of a chore to me but really wasn’t thanks to it’s world and realistic nature. This game’s progression just feels very realistic, and that’s a huge thing that I loved. It’s great how each day feels different, I really liked the fact that you had to go back home to sleep and then start a new day all at your own pace. Or how you get a job and have lunch breaks. The details man, this game is about details.

Im also glad there’s no guide points or anything to lead the way, not even in combat, it’s all explained thru realistic dialog. If you want to see a map you have to go to a map point, if you want to go to a different place you have to wait for a bus that goes by every so often as stated in the bus stop sign. Need to pass time? How about you go training? Or go to the arcade? Feed the kitty? All of these things really made me hugely appreciate the game and get immersed.

Now about the combat, it can feel clumsy and some moves just don’t work at times, but I’d say it’s still a fun time. The grab moves feel satisfying and pullling out some of the new moves you learn is quite awesome. I still think the combat could’ve been better. Anyways, Shenmue really wasn’t much about the combat, (initially thought it would be) in my opinion it’s about the experience. I feel it’s so grounded to reality that you just don’t encounter fights on every corner cause that just wouldn’t happen realistically speaking.

I loved how a fight against a crazy creepy guy (Chai) is actually a hard one as one would expect realistically. I love how he seems impossible to beat at first making it really satisfying when you finally do beat him. This fight added extra points to the game for me.

I’ll give the QTE a pass on this game for being one of the first to do it but mostly because those scenes were actually really awesome to watch.

So in the end we have a very unique game. It's easy to see how a lot of people might hate it, its one of those games that are definitely not for everyone. To me it’s some sort of Animal Crossing+Virtua Fighter+L.A. Noire mashup and I truly love it.

Can’t wait to try the sequel (more like Disc 4) and be more amazed. Man I’m glad I don’t have to wait that long for Shenmue III..

Red_Ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Eli_Saieh_
Nintendo FC: Eli_Saieh_S
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: A first-timer's opinion on Shenmue

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 am

I disagree about the combat. It's absolutely incredible and pretty much the best out of any game within its genre (like Batman Arkham, Yakuza, Sleeping Dogs etc.). I'd say that the combat is one of the many strong points of Shenmue. Also, on a kind of unrelated note I LOVE games that include a mix of boring, tedious, chore-like parts and the exciting, fun and thrilling ones. Most games try to make it all about 24/7 action which I hate because it's not realistic (as you said, in Shenmue you're not having fights every corner you turn!) and quite common. Anyway, great post and I'm glad you enjoyed Shenmue! Hopefully Yu Suzuki doesn't try to please modern casual gamers by entirely removing the slow-paced and unique parts in Shenmue III!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Red_Ryo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote: I disagree about the combat. It's absolutely incredible and pretty much the best out of any game within its genre (like Batman Arkham, Yakuza, Sleeping Dogs etc.). I'd say that the combat is one of the many strong points of Shenmue. Also, on a kind of unrelated note I LOVE games that include a mix of boring, tedious, chore-like parts and the exciting, fun and thrilling ones. Most games try to make it all about 24/7 action which I hate because it's not realistic (as you said, in Shenmue you're not having fights every corner you turn!) and quite common. Anyway, great post and I'm glad you enjoyed Shenmue! Hopefully Yu Suzuki doesn't try to please modern casual gamers by entirely removing the slow-paced and unique parts in Shenmue III!

I respect your opinion about the combat. I think the combat overall was fun, I just thought it could be more polished, perhaps in Shenmue III.

Yea, I was actually thinking the same. It's easy to assume that they will go for a more fast-paced game trying to please casuals this time around but hopefully Yu sticks to what the actual fans want.
Red_Ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Red_Ryo wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote: I disagree about the combat. It's absolutely incredible and pretty much the best out of any game within its genre (like Batman Arkham, Yakuza, Sleeping Dogs etc.). I'd say that the combat is one of the many strong points of Shenmue. Also, on a kind of unrelated note I LOVE games that include a mix of boring, tedious, chore-like parts and the exciting, fun and thrilling ones. Most games try to make it all about 24/7 action which I hate because it's not realistic (as you said, in Shenmue you're not having fights every corner you turn!) and quite common. Anyway, great post and I'm glad you enjoyed Shenmue! Hopefully Yu Suzuki doesn't try to please modern casual gamers by entirely removing the slow-paced and unique parts in Shenmue III!

I respect your opinion about the combat. I think the combat overall was fun, I just thought it could be more polished, perhaps in Shenmue III.

Yea, I was actually thinking the same. It's easy to assume that they will go for a more fast-paced game trying to please casuals this time around but hopefully Yu sticks to what the actual fans want.

Cool! They're definitely going to make the combat system even better than the first two. I mean, this is Yu Suzuki so he will definitely try to go above and beyond. At least I hope so!

And yes I'm also hoping that Yu Suzuki doesn't let the interests of casual gamers affect his vision. It's like the first Shenmue. He included a lot of unique and innovative things that do not please your average Call Of Duty gamer. But, they payed off big time because it's what made it so special and magical. I applaud and fully support developers that aim to create works of art (not literally of course, but in terms of the experience!) rather than just a mere video game but unfortunately, they are few and far between. And now because Shenmue is one of those "works of art" it has had a deep and indescribably beautiful impact on the fans that you don't simply get from ordinary games.

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Red_Ryo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Really can’t wait to see what the combat will be like. I heard there’s a tree skill as one of the goals which I like.

Experience is the key word. That’s what he basically aimed to give, a unique experience as well established in the back of the game case with the phrase “The Experience Begins”.

Plus he knows the reason the game got funded is because of the same fans that want more of that. So yea, after some thought I don’t think we should worry.
Red_Ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby KidMarine » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:39 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Please let us know what you think of II. If you ask me, that's where the adventure really begins.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Red_Ryo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:43 pm

KidMarine wrote: Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Please let us know what you think of II. If you ask me, that's where the adventure really begins.

No doubt, I like sharing my thoughts on games this unique and special that have little exposure. I can see how Shenmue II must really get things started as Shenmue 1 felt like a much required intro to a bigger adventure. I bet it’s gonna have me hooked from beginning to end.

I have to wait some time before playing it tho as my gf bought it for me and I won’t be seeing her till next month.

Shenmue is probably the game that has me intrigued the most, I really want to know the truth about it all and I want to see these characters that were hinted at in the first one like that one character that appears in the passport disc.
Red_Ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby KidMarine » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 am

Red_Ryo wrote:
KidMarine wrote: Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Please let us know what you think of II. If you ask me, that's where the adventure really begins.

No doubt, I like sharing my thoughts on games this unique and special that have little exposure. I can see how Shenmue II must really get things started as Shenmue 1 felt like a much required intro to a bigger adventure. I bet it’s gonna have me hooked from beginning to end.

I have to wait some time before playing it tho as my gf bought it for me and I won’t be seeing her till next month.

Shenmue is probably the game that has me intrigued the most, I really want to know the truth about it all and I want to see these characters that were hinted at in the first one like that one character that appears in the passport disc.

Will you be playing the Dreamcast or Xbox version? IMO the Dreamcast version is definitely the way to go.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Red_Ryo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:12 pm

I wished I could as I found out about the data transferring after finishing the game but I had already bought the ntsc version which never got a Shenmue II on the DC so Xbox it is. Also I kinda rather play it on xbox in part because the Dreamcast is more prone to freezing, every loading was a mini heart attack.
Red_Ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Red_Ryo wrote: Hello everyone. Don't want to make the post longer but I'll just say I've know about this game for a long time but never actually got the chance to play it till now, its kind of a long story. I've heard about this site before as well, I thought i'd make an account an give my thoughts about the game here.

Wasn’t entirely sure what to expect when starting this game but I knew I wanted to try it as I love traditional Japanese architecture, Samurai and just the overall atmosphere these type of games produce (Onimusha, Okami, Nioh, Yakuza). I thought in the end this was a big factor in order to fully enjoy this game because a huge thing about it is it’s world.

I love how the world in Shenmue is alive and constantly breathing. I think this is one of the best things about it, you have to truly immerse yourself in it in order for the game not to feel like a chore.

Another big factor that adds to this game was the beginning. I think Shenmue has one of my favorite beginnings in a game as it really hooks you to the story immediately and makes you connect with the main character. After that initial cutscene I’m already hyped to go out and find what’s going on.

So basically we have a game that focuses in huge part on investigative work and that might have been kind of a chore to me but really wasn’t thanks to it’s world and realistic nature. This game’s progression just feels very realistic, and that’s a huge thing that I loved. It’s great how each day feels different, I really liked the fact that you had to go back home to sleep and then start a new day all at your own pace. Or how you get a job and have lunch breaks. The details man, this game is about details.

Im also glad there’s no guide points or anything to lead the way, not even in combat, it’s all explained thru realistic dialog. If you want to see a map you have to go to a map point, if you want to go to a different place you have to wait for a bus that goes by every so often as stated in the bus stop sign. Need to pass time? How about you go training? Or go to the arcade? Feed the kitty? All of these things really made me hugely appreciate the game and get immersed.

Now about the combat, it can feel clumsy and some moves just don’t work at times, but I’d say it’s still a fun time. The grab moves feel satisfying and pullling out some of the new moves you learn is quite awesome. I still think the combat could’ve been better. Anyways, Shenmue really wasn’t much about the combat, (initially thought it would be) in my opinion it’s about the experience. I feel it’s so grounded to reality that you just don’t encounter fights on every corner cause that just wouldn’t happen realistically speaking.

I loved how a fight against a crazy creepy guy (Chai) is actually a hard one as one would expect realistically. I love how he seems impossible to beat at first making it really satisfying when you finally do beat him. This fight added extra points to the game for me.

I’ll give the QTE a pass on this game for being one of the first to do it but mostly because those scenes were actually really awesome to watch.

So in the end we have a very unique game. It's easy to see how a lot of people might hate it, its one of those games that are definitely not for everyone. To me it’s some sort of Animal Crossing+Virtua Fighter+L.A. Noire mashup and I truly love it.

Can’t wait to try the sequel (more like Disc 4) and be more amazed. Man I’m glad I don’t have to wait that long for Shenmue III..

when will you play shenmue 2?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Red_Ryo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:36 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Red_Ryo wrote: Hello everyone. Don't want to make the post longer but I'll just say I've know about this game for a long time but never actually got the chance to play it till now, its kind of a long story. I've heard about this site before as well, I thought i'd make an account an give my thoughts about the game here.

when will you play shenmue 2?

I have to wait some time before playing it as my gf bought it for me and I won’t be seeing her till next month so probably around the end of January.
Red_Ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:21 am

As much as I loved the combat system, there was definite room for improvement. At times it did feel a little awkward. But the amount of moves you could learn and perform and upgrade as I recall through practice was mind blowing back then. Plus it did not have anything too fancy or unrealistic about it for the most part. That is what I fear with S3 from the ending of S2, I am not much into chi/magic stuff, not when the first two games were so realistic.

The one thing I did not like for sure was how they did the Quick Time Events. Half the time I was either looking at my controller or trying to pay attention to the screen for the buttons to press and not the actual action, so half the time, especially when you had to do it multiple times and at different parts in one go, I would miss a lot of the on screen action.

The kitten was basically worthless. You could hardly do anything with it. It was about as useless as a Tamagotchi or a Chao.

And it needed both more arcade games and more home console games. More jobs would of been nice as well. I appreciated the allowance, but that fork lifting job was a pain.

The knocking on people's doors and not only never being allowed to be let in, but even more so just almost no one ever coming to the door was annoying.

And although understood the curfew, it was annoying to HAVE to abide by it all the time, although I think there were few exceptions. Also those punks you find from time to time that talk crap I would of liked to of kicked into a wall as well. :agrue: But now I am just nit picking.

I am glad you enjoyed the game as well. Any update on your progress? I am actually thinking of restarting it from scratch. Personally the first game I find the best, although I do enjoy Japanese culture more, so it felt like a better fit for me. Part 2 added too much many areas to explore and it felt needlessly over done and quite boring at times. In fact I was forcing myself to finish just to be done with it and hope to move onto part three when ever that was to be, even though the ending of S2 I was not happy with either... Also it's work/side duties were not much better than the original. Plus perhaps because everyone knows you since you were born (presumably) from that town in Japan in part one, virtually no one knows you in China... but they will... :king:
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ys » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 am

Jerid'sRamenShop wrote:That is what I fear with S3 from the ending of S2, I am not much into chi/magic stuff, not when the first two games were so realistic.

I also hope that the fighting stays more or less realistic. Yu did say though in an interview that he didn't plan to make it too magical.

The one thing I did not like for sure was how they did the Quick Time Events. Half the time I was either looking at my controller or trying to pay attention to the screen for the buttons to press and not the actual action

Isn't that the case for most games with QTE sequences?

The kitten was basically worthless. You could hardly do anything with it. It was about as useless as a Tamagotchi or a Chao.

I think that the main purpose was to increase the living world feeling. Yu mentioned that adding smaller things like that makes it more realistic. Just like being able to knock on doors, people going home at night, etc.

And it needed both more arcade games and more home console games. More jobs would of been nice as well. I appreciated the allowance, but that fork lifting job was a pain.

Wasn't the inclusion of such games inside a game already a big deal at the time? Being one of the pioneering games it's maybe acceptable that they couldn't include more? Later games had the advantage of building on that with more powerful hardware.
As for the jobs. I once read that Yu wanted the player to feel the same as Ryo. Just like the airing of books.

ys has received 2 thanks from: Niowiad, SickOctopus
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Return to Shenmue