Shenmue sound files - afs afx arg!

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue sound files - afs afx arg!

Postby choinkees » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:43 am

Can someone please help me or direct me to some software that will allow me to play the sound files in Shenmue1 (voice samples in particular)?

I've been trying to look it up and it seems that they're stored in AFS files.. which are kinda like compressed files that hold AFX files. The AFX files are meant to hold the audio.

I eventually found a tiny DOS program called afs2afx (2 different versions of it) and some afx players and converters.
It seems to uncompress things but they turn into files with a .raw extension on them and they wont play in an adx player or adx-wav converter or even just trying it in CoolEdit or anything like that.

If there's someone out there than can help me get this right it'd be very appreciated.
choinkees
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:23 pm

Hi,. You have to download a program called "Qzip" is to unzip all of the shenmue file.
Attachments
sendbinary 12.jpg
(5.79 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:29 pm

...by the way choinkees or anyone in the dojo.. How do i put a pic. by my screename..where it shows.. the day you joined: posts: status: and location: etc.. anyone Plz,.?
Attachments
sendbinary 19.jpg
(23.67 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ChaiOgawa » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:11 pm

Go allllll the way down to the bottom of your profile, and hit the browse button next to Upload from my machine, and you can upload a picture from your computer as your avatar.
ChaiOgawa

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:28 pm

I did the first step i went all the way down profile.. i hit browse, then i picked a pic. i upload it from my computer as my avatar..Then i submit and nothing... I did the same thing again.. But what is Upload Avatar from a URL: I don't know what it means..? can you tell me step by step PlZ. :roll:
Attachments
dark illusion.jpg
I wish Ivy was a real person...Doesn't she look good in that pic..?
(57.63 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ChaiOgawa » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:32 pm

Probably you got nothing because the picture you were trying to upload is to big to be your avatar.
ChaiOgawa

Re: Shenmue sound files - afs afx arg!

Postby Daemos » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:06 pm

choinkees wrote:Can someone please help me or direct me to some software that will allow me to play the sound files in Shenmue1 (voice samples in particular)?

I've been trying to look it up and it seems that they're stored in AFS files.. which are kinda like compressed files that hold AFX files. The AFX files are meant to hold the audio.

I eventually found a tiny DOS program called afs2afx (2 different versions of it) and some afx players and converters.
It seems to uncompress things but they turn into files with a .raw extension on them and they wont play in an adx player or adx-wav converter or even just trying it in CoolEdit or anything like that.

If there's someone out there than can help me get this right it'd be very appreciated.

Try AFSExplorer. I can't give you a link, but a Google search should solve it.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby LanDC » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:12 pm

I have many afs extractors... PM me. But there isn't really much you can do with those sound files.. The closest your going to get to listening to them is using something like goldwave, and slowing the sounds down, and lowering the sample rate. But even then, they are very very very muffled.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Daemos » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:22 pm

LanDC wrote:I have many afs extractors... PM me. But there isn't really much you can do with those sound files.. The closest your going to get to listening to them is using something like goldwave, and slowing the sounds down, and lowering the sample rate. But even then, they are very very very muffled.

I thought the ADXs could be directly converted to WAV... :? Actually, I have my own converter. It's a bit big. 300+KB RAR'ed. Zipped it's around 430~KB.

Download it here RARed. (zip it was too big)

You *have* to right-click on that link and select "Save Target as". Then rename the file to .rar

It works. Not complete yet, but it works.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to Shenmue