Extracting maps

(Modding and other series related projects)

Extracting maps

Postby raymonf » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi, I'd like to ask a question: how do I extract a map?
I want to use a map from Shenmue 2 (disk 4, to be exact) in Unity so I can test some things.

I've tried extracting parts of the Hazuki household on Shenmue 1 as a test with 3D Ripper DX and nullDC with the stereoscopic plugin, but all the textures are b0rked.

Thanks.

I run Windows 8.1, triple booting with XP and Mac 10.6.
Last edited by raymonf on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raymonf
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Extracting maps

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Backface culling on Shenmue II doesn't operate the same way as it does in the first, so you should be fine. You'll get slight distortion, but it's fixable.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby raymonf » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Yes, but I'm looking to extract the entire map. Is there a way to do that directly?
raymonf

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:36 pm

No, you have to do it bit by bit and fit it together like a jigsaw. Sections are easy enough to delete out though.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Digas » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:44 am

hi everyone, i need help on making a shenmue mod to gta san andreas http://gtaforums.com/topic/664077-gta-s ... nmue-port/ i already have some ryo hazuki models and a lan di model working made by fenix. now i need someone to help converting shenmue map to san andreas, the person tha can help doing that will be a part of the team of the mod,it could be a great mod i think. please reply soon, so maybe on day after this mod we can make a shemue 3 mod.
Digas
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Mate, seriously, you've done the same post about five or six times now, and it really isn't as simple as "converting the map".

You can rip scenes using 3DRipperDX, but they come out distorted. Meshes need separating and re-grouping, and in most cases need to be duplicated, flipping the normals to deal with culling, textures are often randomly assigned or improperly mapped, and honestly, the most efficient way is to rip a scene and use it as a guideline for re-modelling, something that takes a long time.

If you plan on doing this for every area in the Shenmue games, then it's gonna take well over a year of constant work. The best thing I can suggest is just creating very basic models of areas. Instead of adding detail to buildings, just make a cube with a prism on top and slap a texture on it. You can use these maps as guidelines for Yokosuka, and I'm sure you can use Google to do the same for Wan Chai, Knowloon and Guilin:

http://www.mattisbodtker.com/img/shenmue1_maps.png

Can you do any modelling yourself or do you just have a basic idea of how to mod San Andreas?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 am

I have already provided all my models. Lan Di, Ryo, Ryo passport and another Ryo's version.

Diego4Fun's blog posted 2 weeks ago Ren's model and I recently made a model that Wude gave me. Yuan. But the model seems to have lost polys. I have to try to flip normals but I don't think this could solve the problem.

Seriously. I think it's actually more interesting using the motorcycle. to play with it in GTA
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Return to Community Projects