Shenmue 1 Undub 99min CD01 for Dreamcast

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue 1 Undub 99min CD01 for Dreamcast

Postby sm1th » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 pm

:)
Last edited by sm1th on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sm1th
Master of the Three Blades

Postby sm1th » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Drakul wrote: I seem to remember you saying you couldn't fit the arcade games on a 80min CD, have you found a way to do it?

Yes, everything will be included on the 80min version.
PAL, CDDA, Coca Cola Mod, Arcade Games, etc.

kogami wrote: I started doing a version of shenmue with japanese voice subtitle english there some time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLCLgDiMmfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3I-0uVDTgM

The technique consisted in taking the japanese file version (.afs) and remplace the version of shenmue (pal).

The problem is that the subtitle is recovering japanese.

Should replace all the japanese subtitle by english subtitle in the .srf file

This what you do?

The reason why the japanese subs are showing is because you need to use the .xml from the pal version .afs once you compile new .afs .

If you don't do this then hybrid subs will be used instead. (jp/eng) and eventually a crash!

You will run into issues since the japanese version uses many different files.

Alot of files will be missing/different/incompatible between both of the versions.

If you don't dummy the incompatible .srf, .str's files it will result in a crash!

The free speech is the bulk of incompatible files.

The cinematics have less incompatible files except for disk 3.

If you use the .str from jp, .srf from pal, .xml from pal, dummy different/missing/incompatible files, then rebuild .afs you will have the bulk of it completed.

Hope this helps.

sm1th has received a thanks from: Giorgio
sm1th

Postby kogami » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:49 am

However, I noticed that there were more Japanese subtitle in the file. Srf from the file. Srf pal

The dialogues are not in the same order that complicates things.

Should be directly edited the Japanese subtitle to replace them with English subtitles will not be any difference.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:25 pm

I do agree that a retranslation of the game would greatly benefit the release but I'm not going to say it is required nor am I going to complain. I'm really excited and thankful for all that you have done Smith, and can't wait to play Shenmue in the language of the rising sun, oh glorious nihongo.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby HDREADY420 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:16 pm

This is just awesome, a dream come true. Thank you Sm1th! Cant wait for the release.
HDREADY420
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby kogami » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:25 am

I started doing a UNDUB disc version 1, I almost finished (I still have 13 file .SRF to work)

I made an other approach quite different from your technique you used, instead of changing the file .str audio between English and Japanese, I changed all the Japanese subtitle file and I wholes replaced by English subtitles.

In the video I saw especially the Japanese dialogue does not match the English subtitles.

It took me about one week of work for the CD 1.

Basically I am part of the file .AFS Japanese directly modifying their subtitles, It removes all the problems you have encountered.

By cons have you noticed any other file that included dialogues English other than in the .AFS file? (QTE, FREE Battle etc...)

I'll post a video soon on youtube, I still have three days of work.

I used the version "US Shenmue" which includes the English and Japanese subtitles.
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/9265/dsc00039lb7.jpg

This version UNDUB will help us to make a Japanese voice version and subtitle French because my team and I want to translate Shenmue in French with Japanese voice.

EDIT:
I found a program that converts .snd file (sound file)to .wav file. There are lovely surprise as unique music not used in the game.

It will change some file if you want to have the Japanese voice for the street fight and QTE sequence. I have converted all the files .snd the Japanese and Pal game and I listen one by one.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AdamKoralik » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Kogami, if I am understanding this correctly, your version will ultimately have a major problem that Smith's version does not.

Upon conclusion, game transfers to the European copy of Shenmue II will not function.

Additionally, in game things like maps (posted in Dobuita and the Harbor etcetera) will not be in English. Going off of the PAL build eliminates this problem.

If I am wrong, then pardon my comments.
AdamKoralik

Postby kogami » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:14 am

Kogami, if I am understanding this correctly, your version will ultimately have a major problem that Smith's version does not.

This is the opposite, my version is a functional will not have problem mentioned by sm1th.

Upon conclusion, game transfers to the European copy of Shenmue II will not function.

No problem save game between Shenmue 1 and 2, it will work.

Additionally, in game things like maps (posted in Dobuita and the Harbor etcetera) will not be in English. Going off of the PAL build eliminates this problem.

I work for the PAL version of Shenmue 1 and I take the file containing the Japanese voice on the version of Shenmue (J), I inserted all the file on the Pal game, everything will of course in English in final
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ziming » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:08 am

Check your private message in-box kogami. I have a question for you.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby AdamKoralik » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:38 am

kogami wrote:

This is the opposite, my version is a functional will not have problem mentioned by sm1th.

No problem save game between Shenmue 1 and 2, it will work.

I work for the PAL version of Shenmue 1 and I take the file containing the Japanese voice on the version of Shenmue (J), I inserted all the file on the Pal game, everything will of course in English in final

Then I withdraw my concerns and wish you luck sir.
AdamKoralik

Postby sm1th » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 am

kogami wrote:Basically I am part of the file .AFS Japanese directly modifying their subtitles, It removes all the problems you have encountered.

^ Are you translating the JP subs to ENG?, FRENCH?

kogami wrote:I work for the PAL version of Shenmue 1 and I take the file containing the Japanese voice on the version of Shenmue (J), I inserted all the file on the Pal game, everything will of course in English in final

^ This is exactly what I did.

kogami wrote:I made an other approach quite different from your technique you used, instead of changing the file .str audio between English and Japanese, I changed all the Japanese subtitle file and I wholes replaced by English subtitles.

^ This would be absolutely NO different from my method.
The result is the same. UNLESS you're actually translating the SUBS??

The undub mod that I completed was the only way that i could ever see it working outside from a complete translation of the entire shenmue1 game. Considering I don't know any japanese and would not know howto translate JAP to ENG.
I know how the translation of shenmue subs is done though.

As far as the versions of Shenmue..at first I tried all of different versions of Shen: (US Shen, JP Shen, PAL Shen, NTSC/U Shen) to figure out howto create afs that would not cause any glitches/crashes/hybrid subs/messed up characters in subs/etc. I decided to use the Shen1 PAL version so that the saves will transfer to Shen2 PAL without any issues. I used the speech from Shen JP.

The mod that you are doing from what I can tell MIGHT BE different from what I did??? That is if you are doing a complete translation of the subs? And if you are doing FREE AFS translation in a matter of days PROPS! (20,000+ files each disk for FREE speech files!) It took me since February till now to get this thing working! After alot of trial and error I figured out howto make it work. Creating multiple batch scripts etc.

It sounds like you are doing a translation of all of the subs from scratch.
If you need anything let me know.
Anyhow good luck on your version.

sm1th

Postby kogami » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 am

In fact I directly translate the Japanese subtitle into English using a very simple method that I'll explain a little later.

I have on hand a script from version US Shenmue. I have on hand a script from US Shenmue gives me the English sentence followed by Japanese sentence.

I do a simple copy / paste in the Japanese script to replace the Japanese sentence by the English sentence.

EDIT:

With my method it is not neccessary to understand the Japanese.

I need help to make the cd 2 & 3, it could split the job if you want. You must take the program notepad++

Sample script US Shenmue:
AKIR
I don't want the police involved.
警察の手を借りたくはない…

AKIR
No, I'll avenge my father's murder
on my own.
いや、親父の仇は
この手でとってやる

AKIR
It's no use asking the police
or help at this point.
今さら警察を頼っても、
仕方がない…

AKIR
I'm too old to make crank calls.
いたずら電話を
する年でもないだろう

AKIR
This is pointless.
こんなことしたって、
仕方がない

AKIR
Uh, no.
あ、いえ…

AKIR
Uh, I=@
あ、あの…

AKIR
So=@sorry. Wrong number.
す、すいません。

A0100.AFS (Prologue subtiles)
He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea.
A young man who has yet to know his potential.
This potential is a power that could either.
Destroy him a realize his will.
His courage shall determine his fate.
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity
I await whilst praying.
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times.
The pitch-black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light.
And thus the saga… begins.

He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,
A young man who has yet to know his potential,
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will,
His courage shall determine his fate,
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying,
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times,
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
And thus the saga...begins...

I still have 6 .SRF file to edit from FREE01.AFS for the CD1.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kogami » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:29 am

CD 1 shenmue undub finish !!!

Let's go for the cd2.

I search to convert .str files (dialogue sound) to .wav file, can't me help please.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sm1th » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:49 am

kogami wrote: CD 1 shenmue undub finish !!!

Let's go for the cd2.

I search to convert .str files (dialogue sound) to .wav file, can't me help please.

I know some ppl that might be able to help with your undub version, I just need to get a hold of one of the members who deals with dreamcast translation projects.

There are a few things that will cause issues with Shen rips:

1) Size Limitation - JP Speech file size is larger than PAL (downsampling will be needed) *if you are doing an 80min version. I have some more info on this.
2) Heartbeats Bar Glitch - From what I have found previous rips of Shen1 have this glitch if CDDA was not used and possibly if duplicate linking of data was used to conserve space on disk. (This glitch causes RYO to get stuck after QTE with Tony and Smith @ Heartbeats Bar) * I fixed this in my version
3) You will need to add CDDA to your version !
4) You can save space by removing unused .spr files, possibly better gzip compression, can't use duplicate linking!

I have an idea for you to complete your project much quicker and make it a bit easier:

You could use the cinematics from my undub version since there are very few incompatible files. Next unarchive the .afs, find the 0 byte files and this would be the cinematics to fix. (fixing them by using your current method)

This would allow you to focus more on FREE AFS subs translation, and only a few incompatible cinematics.

I will get back to you soon as I can.

Keep up the good work Kogami!

sm1th

Postby kogami » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:49 am

1) Size Limitation - JP Speech file size is larger than PAL (downsampling will be needed) *if you are doing an 80min version. I have some more info on this.

I am not interested to make a version 80 minutes, however 750MB for CD 1 max !!!

2) Heartbeats Bar Glitch - From what I have found previous rips of Shen1 have this glitch if CDDA was not used and possibly if duplicate linking of data was used to conserve space on disk. (This glitch causes RYO to get stuck after QTE with Tony and Smith @ Heartbeats Bar) * I fixed this in my version

For cd 1 I used 2 CDDA (track04.raw and Track05.raw), can you find me this sequence "Heartbeats Bar Glitch" on youtube?

I would not use duplicate one for construction my iso (not necessary for Shenmue 1 for CD99).

EDIT:
Sequence Youtube for Heartbeats Bar Glitch? (57min 47)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yKI#t=3467

Can you give me the file change to replace the brand of soda distributor? (Coca Cola, Nescafe, Sprite, Fanta etc...)
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects