Shenmue Re-texturing in HD

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Re-texturing in HD

Postby nagates » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:04 pm

south carmain wrote: you won't see much differences with something so small, try replacing the ground texture with something high res to see real results.

as for running it on the DC if the DC can process high res textures then you would need to run the game through a modded DC that could run games from an SD card as each disc would become 5gb+

My thought here is not to use the dremcast at all, as we are clearly still limited by the 480p output no matter what. My thinking here, is how everyone talks about wanting a HD Version of Shenmue, or ripping the models to put in other games, or numerous failed attempts to recreate the game in a modern engine. Instead of all that, I just think it would be cool to just upgrade the game as much as we can using emulation (which should have fewer limits than actual hardware), lets make Shenmue on emulation look good. It looks like have the tools to do it. Textures seem like an good first step. Its a thought, I'm not a graphic artist, but I would be willing to help where I could.

Actually more the point, I sorta want to make a small pc, that I will hook up to my HDTV, and replay some my classic dreamcast games, in HD (or near it), but Shenmue, that's the one that deserves an HD upgrade.
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: CoolerFX
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:11 am

Anthony817 wrote: Not sure on that but from what I know its still in prototype phase atm. I think Stone Age Gamer said they will help support them and sell/manufacture them or something. I know they have the Everdrives for various systems and this would really be awesome to own.

It will effectively turn the DC into something more akin to a modded OG Xbox. If we get SWAT to modify his Dreamshell front end we can really get the ball rolling. Imagine a 128gb SDHC card. It has 100% compatibility with all games too since its emulating the GDRom drive. Transfer speeds will be so fast. Games will load much faster too. I imagine Solder of Fortune loading like the wind.

From what I have read we can guesstimate a price of somewhere in the area of $75-130, give or take. Just a guesstimation, no official word yet.

I'll be keeping an eye on it then, the video said it will cost 7.50$ at the end though

nagates wrote:
south carmain wrote: you won't see much differences with something so small, try replacing the ground texture with something high res to see real results.

as for running it on the DC if the DC can process high res textures then you would need to run the game through a modded DC that could run games from an SD card as each disc would become 5gb+

My thought here is not to use the dremcast at all, as we are clearly still limited by the 480p output no matter what.

those were my thoughts too but everyone kept on mentioning the DC, however current DC emulators are far from finished so you would be getting full HD but also the bugs that come with it on the other hand if the DC can process the game properly with high res textures you would be getting a flawless experience but in 480p.

there is also a way to force 1080p out of DC but I'm not sure how it looks, if it looks as good as emulating it I would recommend doing this for the best experience
http://shenmue-uk.com/shenmue_dreamcast ... guide.html
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:22 am

as for re-texturing the game I can provide some help but not now, I'm currently working on an assignment for a different shenmue project but once that is finished I don't mind helping you create a true HD shenmue
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby DreamcastPast » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 am

This is something I've often thought about. I could help out with textures. I'm no modder or anything like that but I'm good with photoshop... if I can be supplied with a collection of textures I could increase the resolution, clean them up, swap with similar images etc and re-supply them back to you.
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Anthony817 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm

south carmain wrote:
Anthony817 wrote: Not sure on that but from what I know its still in prototype phase atm. I think Stone Age Gamer said they will help support them and sell/manufacture them or something. I know they have the Everdrives for various systems and this would really be awesome to own.

It will effectively turn the DC into something more akin to a modded OG Xbox. If we get SWAT to modify his Dreamshell front end we can really get the ball rolling. Imagine a 128gb SDHC card. It has 100% compatibility with all games too since its emulating the GDRom drive. Transfer speeds will be so fast. Games will load much faster too. I imagine Solder of Fortune loading like the wind.

From what I have read we can guesstimate a price of somewhere in the area of $75-130, give or take. Just a guesstimation, no official word yet.

I'll be keeping an eye on it then, the video said it will cost 7.50$ at the end though

No, that is for the small SD Adapter, you do NOT want that man, trust me, I had one and they are awful. They can't run maybe 20% of all retail games, not a fun thing.

The Dreamcast Optical Drive Emulator, AKA, D.O.D.E. is what you want. Its in prototype stages and not ready to go yet. It will have 100% compatibility with ALL DC games since its acting like a disc drive emulator.

The SD Adapters use a SLOW serial bus port, so you are going to have hella problems booting up games if they boot at all. The D.O.D.E. is that Jtag board pictured. Forget you ever seen that video. Its old news from 2010.

Also, I created that SD Adapter video, you can click it and see its uploaded by BFKAnthony817. I know that says $7.20, that was made a long time ago. The optical drive emus are going to be like $75 at least.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Theoretically, it could be done, but it'd be wasted effort, imo. 1080p's great for still shots (wallpapers, other types of graphic work, etc.), but Shenmue doesn't really run all that well on nullDC as it is, and whilst it wouldn't affect performance too much, there'd still be a slight dip. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be able to play Shenmue in full HD, but I honestly don't think it'd be worth the effort you'd have to put in.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby nagates » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:51 pm

DreamcastPast wrote: This is something I've often thought about. I could help out with textures. I'm no modder or anything like that but I'm good with photoshop... if I can be supplied with a collection of textures I could increase the resolution, clean them up, swap with similar images etc and re-supply them back to you.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only who thinks this has some merit. As far as other comments, sure we'll probably never get a perfect HD experience with texture swapping, but besides this be sort of a fun project, I think we have more to gain than we would lose. And maybe we just replace a few textures, and see what we think, if it feels like a waste, than we leave it there. I'm tempted to at-least try.
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Anthony817 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:37 pm

But I can run Shenmue on NullDC in 1080p at 60fps. Although just look at my PC specs and that might be a deciding factor?

Edit: Hold the fuck up. I am emulating Shenmue 2 English speech 99min version as I type this, and its horrible. It works sometimes, but is bad. I can check Shenmue 1 next, but my memory told me it was perfect save for the back of his hair being transparent.

Anyway, I last emulated Shenmue 1 in 2008, just before I got into the Dreamcast community. It was working great on my 3870x2. Full speed and 1080p.

I guess that is what I meant to say.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 am

Anthony817 wrote:Edit: Hold the fuck up. I am emulating Shenmue 2 English speech 99min version as I type this, and its horrible. It works sometimes, but is bad. I can check Shenmue 1 next, but my memory told me it was perfect save for the back of his hair being transparent.

I played both of them perfectly on my old laptop that had 1.6ghz processor but on my new one they just run like shit. I'm thinking it has something to do with the unoptimised emulator rather than the PC itself since mitts has a decent PC and it won't run either

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Anthony817 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:16 am

Yeah I have been out of touch with emulating every since I bought my Dreamcast in 09. I have to relearn how to optimize the damn thing all over again, or rather configure correctly.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby nagates » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Radar wrote: Maybe, maybe...
but:
- I don't think there's really will be big difference at real Dreamcast (probably only on extremly close-up scenes)
- Texture file size will be increased, so after all you also need to fit it on CD-R somehow, if you gonna play on real hardware of course ;-)
- also there is chance of glitches, bugs, lags etc. who knows..
- yep, there's reaaaly alot of work.
Anyway, i just tested on Shenmue 2 Ryo model( NullDC, 1600x900)
I replaced this Image to this(I got it from Shenmue passport)Image and the result is below, don't forget to zoom:

First:
Second:

First:
Second:

did you do this with the shentrad tools?
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Previous

Return to Community Projects