Possible solution for ripping shenmue game models found!

(Modding and other series related projects)

Possible solution for ripping shenmue game models found!

Postby dotsona » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:06 pm

***This post has older content, newer information and how to rip models (video tutorial) can be found in the other stickies in the modding forum***

Hey guys,

I have been browsing this forum for quite some time now but never posted, I have been looking for ways to rip shenmue models so that they can be used for fan art, and other various things like mods. I have come across a application that can rip models utilizing directx. The program is called 3d ripper dx. Here is how they say it works:

"3D Ripper DX works by intercepting the frame buffer during the runtime of a DirectX-driven game. In other words, the software captures geometry data from the game engine as it passes to the graphics card and stores the render information of each frame call."

I was reading that this also works with emulators, and considering nullDC the dreamcast emulator uses directx 9, I think it might work, I am not entirely sure, but I thought I would pass that along to someone else considering I do not have nulldc.

Link to application: http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

Thanks,
Andrew

EDIT: Shenmue Models have been ripped apparently, you can see pics of them here, he also managed to get full 3d versions using a plugin so they dont come out flat, as far as I know this is the first person to do this. I contacted the guy who did this and I asked him to write a tutorial specifically for shenmue, I am waiting for a response.

Link to topic where models were extracted:
http://darkmatter2.de-coder.net/index.php?showtopic=52

Ripped Models:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION: We have found a way to make the models look much nicer in 3dsmax, here is how we did it.

I manage to perfect ripping models from shenmue 2, and it was alot easier than I thought. Here is how I did it.

Step 1: Rip the models using 3d ripper dx.

Step 2: Import the model into max, and delete all the extra stuff, all you want is the character.

Step 3: Scale the character so the proportions are correct, make the character thicker and rotate the character so its standing vertically.

Step 4: Right click any part of the character and click "convert to editable mesh"

Step 5: In the right window pane click attach list, and click ok, this will attach all the parts together.

Step 6: Now since the model is one piece selectall the verts and go down to the welding section in the right pain, first click target and then clicked selected. Congrats now your model is one solid piece.

Step 6: Now lets make it smooth, go to your modifers and click turbo smooth, change the iterations to 1 and make sure you check "explicit normals"

Step 7: Render and have fun.

Result:
Last edited by dotsona on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 14 times in total.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby wude » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:14 pm

i tried, the ripped model are 2d, but i heard that it might work with nulldc 1.6.

http://www.metagames-eu.com/forums/drea ... 65066.html.

but still a good tool for ripping textures.
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby dotsona » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:19 pm

I was reading they came out flat, if you read the link at the bottom the guy managed to get full 3d versions using a plug in called "stereoscoppic PVR pluggin" so it must be possible.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby wude » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:21 pm

ok, i'll try it for sure, thanks :o
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby dotsona » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 pm

He did say that the models do come out a little rough, but I think he is using a mesh smooth in 3dsmax to clean them up, because the examples he shows are quite nice. I think if someone could write up a tutorial we would be able to get alot of the models into a .obj or .3ds format and from there we could release them.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby wude » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 pm

cleaning up models , is no problem . and may be we can print them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07QxFQ3uUFw

8)
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby dotsona » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:31 pm

That would be very neat :D Also I contacted the guy who managed to rip the full 3d models, I asked him to write a tutorial, and I am awaiting a response. I even offered him money in return :) I think having these models, and creating fan art with them could really spark up the shenmue community.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby wude » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:35 pm

ok, man see you later ,and thanks again. :D
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby dotsona » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:53 am

I have done some research and I have found the tools needed in order to rip models, I don't have windows xp (I'm on a mac) so I can't try it myself untill I get back in town. But if anyone has shenmue for nulldc I suggest you try this out :D Here is a link to all the files you need.

http://www.onlytransfers.com/Shenmue_Tools.zip

I heard that you have to use this exact version of nulldc for it work properly, you should also be on windows xp (vista may cause issues when extracting the model) I would also suggest to extract the model from an area where the character is isolated. (so you dont extract the background to)

Additionally you need to install the stereo plugin so you can grab the z index so the model is not flat when you extract it. Lastly make sure you export the files in either the .obj format or fbx format.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Well, basically the ripping works, but the models are partially incomplete or distorted when i tired it. I think it needs some tweaking. I tried importing the models into 3DS to export them because the obj export resultet in total crap somehow when i tried importing it into vue.

I am at a point where the models look halfway usable after resizing, but i could not get any textures imported in a meaningfull way.

Heres a test with Lan DI and a blacksuit, untextured.

A shame the downloads on the site are gone. I hope the guy who did them can be reached as the models really look good (The first ones he posted). A tutorial would of course also be great.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby accel99 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Hmm it works for me perfectly,heck it works for other games ,tried it for doa 2.Only thing that is needed is to adjust the y/z axis.And I gotta say looks like the dreamcast actually hides all the detail.I never expected ryos face to be so dense polygon wise,also I took this shot from a far away shot were ryo was no bigger than a dot and wow they dont use a lod model.

Edit:makes me wonder if the dreamcast does 100K tri per frame at 30fps.

accel99
Asia Travel Representative

Postby dotsona » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:13 pm

EDIT: accel99 - could you post your character model results? And are you seeing any of the textures or UV maps showing up? Also see if you can capture the model in a isolated area, I think shenmue passport might be a good place to do it.

Yeah we are going to need to do some tweaking, the guy on the other forum managed to rip full models, and I saw your model was missing the UV maps, which is quite strange, it should be ripping those to, I would check the materials tab in max.

Also could you guys list what version of null dc you are using and on what OS? I would play around with the settings and format, I know there is a problem with the z axis, (models coming out flat) the plugin I provided should fix that, if not I have found another solution that can be found here:

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/forum2/ ... ?f=2&t=145

When I get home I plan on playing around with this myself. It would be neet if someone would try to rip the models from passport as well :D. I am still waiting for a response on the other forum, so hopefully we can figure out the proper settings.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:19 pm

I used WIn XP with NullDC 100b1_6 (the version you posted), 3D Ripper DX (As you posted it) and 3D Studio Max 7 for exporting the models into Vue 6 Infinite (In 3D Max i dont even know how to move the camera XD).
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby accel99 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:42 pm

dotsona wrote:EDIT: accel99 - could you post your character model results? And are you seeing any of the textures or UV maps showing up? Also see if you can capture the model in a isolated area, I think shenmue passport might be a good place to do it.

Yeah we are going to need to do some tweaking, the guy on the other forum managed to rip full models, and I saw your model was missing the UV maps, which is quite strange, it should be ripping those to, I would check the materials tab in max.

Also could you guys list what version of null dc you are using and on what OS? I would play around with the settings and format, I know there is a problem with the z axis, (models coming out flat) the plugin I provided should fix that, if not I have found another solution that can be found here:

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/forum2/ ... ?f=2&t=145

When I get home I plan on playing around with this myself. It would be neet if someone would try to rip the models from passport as well :D. I am still waiting for a response on the other forum, so hopefully we can figure out the proper settings.

I used the software u provided with blender,sorry I wont be texturing in blender,so even with the uv's intact I still cant because I just dont know how to use blender for texturing(only modeling),I usually model and texture with softimage xsi.

ALSO shenmue passport wont work for me(nothing but planes get ripped) but Ill try shenmue 1 seeing how I modded passport/high poly ryo so he can walk in the dojo.So ill try that.
accel99

Postby accel99 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:16 pm

Well I somewhat Isolated ryo(theres still a few stray polys).When I select the polygon that make up ryo it gave me a nice suprise according to blender just ryo himself wtih backpack is around 4,300 triangles.Thats pretty high.

Also for some reason shenmue 1 does not work for me,anything to do with shenmue 1 just gives me planes!

accel99

Next

Return to Community Projects