News About Shenmue 1 Modding

(Modding and other series related projects)

Postby dotsona » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:51 pm

^^ What you described is exactly what 3d ripper DX does, we have been doing that for awhile now, but it hasnt been effective in shenmue 1 due to back culling issues (Not sure if you read the other posts, but they talk about it) it works fine in Shenmue 2 though.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby gothguy5969 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 am

dotsona wrote:^^ What you described is exactly what 3d ripper DX does, we have been doing that for awhile now, but it hasnt been effective in shenmue 1 due to back culling issues (Not sure if you read the other posts, but they talk about it) it works fine in Shenmue 2 though.

Sadly only had time to skim it, Wrote it while in my C# class.

sorry for the useless post xD..

Anyways so you what other places are you having trouble with besides the inside of the dojo ? Is it just the "inside" of places ?
gothguy5969
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby dotsona » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:35 pm

I would read some of the other posts, we dont have issues with being inside places. 3D Ripper works fine anywhere in Shenmue 2, it does not work well in Shenmue 1 becuase the engine renders models differently, its all explained in the post I made at the top in this thread.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ReeceKun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:49 am

I have emailed DrkRaziel to ask If he can help with the shenmue culling issue or if he will give us the source code for 'nullDC_100b1_6' (hes working on a new source code for 104 so hopefully he will, I think it would be cool if we turned it into a DC emulator that could only play Shenmue 1&2 :) could call it the Shenmulator )
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:44 pm

Well personally i wish you the best with nullDC, but i keep my doubts. I don't think drkRaziel ever released sources for it (or i missed that!) and even if we get them i wonder what we could do? Even if we find one bright enough to modify the nullDC source i wonder what we could do with it? I mean we already proved that the backface culling is a feature of the game (Shenmue 2 does not do it like Shenmue 1...), so my own assumption would be that you need to disable it in Shenmue, not in the dreamcast (or the emulator rather). But let's cross fingers I am wrong and someone will make the "Never do backface culling" nullDC version. It would really be cool.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby dotsona » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm

^^ Master Kyodai is right, its a feature of the game engine, not NullDC. So it wont really matter if you have the source code for NullDC (Wouldn't hurt though to get it) But that is why Yazgoo is working on a .mt5 model extractor, he has ported it to windows but he is still working on ripping the textures and some other bugs. You can download the most recent package here.

http://abdessel.iiens.net/dreamcast/mt5 ... /packages/

You need to download mono for windows for the application to work.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ReeceKun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:21 pm

dotsona wrote:^^ Master Kyodai is right, its a feature of the game engine, not NullDC. So it wont really matter if you have the source code for NullDC (Wouldn't hurt though to get it) But that is why Yazgoo is working on a .mt5 model extractor, he has ported it to windows but he is still working on ripping the textures and some other bugs. You can download the most recent package here.

http://abdessel.iiens.net/dreamcast/mt5 ... /packages/

You need to download mono for windows for the application to work.

My greatest hope for Shenmue is a perfect direct model ripper ( I hope it includes scenery too) Its a shame its taken this long really, I think there are many people capable of creating usefull tools its just finding someone who Also has the interest and passion on the game to work on it. (and hopefully not abandon it untill its done) .. I think if i had the money I'd pay someone to do it lol

How do I extract/locate the MT5s from the shenmue disc image?

Ive downloaded Mono now .. I assume I use the 'Mono-2.6 Command Prompt ?' No readme file :) has anyone written instructions on how I can use the mt5 extraction tools under windows ?

As for 3D ripper I imagined that maybe somehow that a program working with 3d ripper or null dc could itentify what goes into the DX buffer and somehow remember the polygon placement information (or something) but it seems plausable that NullDc as The dreamcast 'host' can override the games engine , since it pertains to graphix surely the game engine requests the dreamcast to behave in certain ways so we just need to get the NullDC to say 'Baka!' but Im not a programmer, im just a dreamer[/b]
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby dotsona » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:39 pm

No, you do not have to use the Command Prompt, I am pretty sure once its installed on your system its running. Simply download the windows package from the link I provided and run the application. To gain access to the mt5 files you need to get daemon tools

Download it here: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/products/dtLite

Once you do that you need to mount the iso using damon tools, once that is complete simply go to my computer, right click the Shenmue CD and click explore. Then look in the scenes folder, you should find mt5 files in there if you explore. The extractor is not perfect, right now character models don't come out right, only there heads. It still needs work alot of work.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ReeceKun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:13 pm

dotsona wrote:No, you do not have to use the Command Prompt, I am pretty sure once its installed on your system its running. Simply download the windows package from the link I provided and run the application. To gain access to the mt5 files you need to get daemon tools

Download it here: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/products/dtLite

Once you do that you need to mount the iso using damon tools, once that is complete simply go to my computer, right click the Shenmue CD and click explore. Then look in the scenes folder, you should find mt5 files in there if you explore. The extractor is not perfect, right now character models don't come out right, only there heads. It still needs work alot of work.

I have DTools but the NTSC version of shenmue only shows as Audio disk with a 1kb Track on, Luckily i also have the JAP version which shows the file directories and I now have some MT5s to test with

I downloaded the 'mt5_extraction_tools-win32-bin.zip' I assume the GUI one is supposed to load when i click it nothings happens and the command prompt 'usage' makes no sence whatsoever.

This is where I downloaded Mono
http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
is that the right program??
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby dotsona » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Yeah thats where you download it, make sure its the one that saids "Mono for Windows, Gtk#, and XSP" I also realized something that you have to do, you have to point the app at mono, I think I will make a video tutorial on how to use the application. Ill post it when its done, it will be easier to explain it that way.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Community Projects