Need some ripping advice

(Modding and other series related projects)

Need some ripping advice

Postby R.Y.O » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:34 am

Hi,

first i want to say thank you for the great video tutorials by dotsona.

I have a few problems because i am a total 3ds noob. almost all models i have ripped are damaged. Mostly the backside. do i something wrong ?

i fallowed braindead the video tutorial and ripped only from shenmue 2.

Jianmins back is also damaged.

Before rendering some models have holes, most of them are gone after rendering.

And 2 other questions:

1. When i want to render a Model it shows a massage about missing files, but the rendering works anyway. What is that about ?

2. How do i save a Model ? I tried to export in .3ds format but the textures where missing. What do i have to put in a zip file when i want to upload a model here ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my not so great english.

PS: Its great to see that the shenmue community is still alive. Keep up the good work.

:) :) :)
R.Y.O
Asia Travel Representative

Postby dotsona » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:21 am

Hey RYO, welcome to the forums.

It looks like you still need to weld the verts on your models, If you watch the 4th video tutorial it covers how to do that. If you did do that you might have missed some spots so I would try it again. The missing files problem is probably because you forgot to copy and paste the files that are in your 3d ripper dx folder into a new folder. You want to move those files somewhere else so nothing gets deleted or overwritten on accident. Lastly, you cant export into .3ds because the textures wont go with the model. You will have to convert the textures into pngs and save it out as a obj (which I havent done but have seen others do that)
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby R.Y.O » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:47 pm

I used vertex and also turbo smooth. i deleted for new rips the old files in the folders. I will try it from another folder now.

i uploaded the Jianmin rip with all needed files. Perhaps you could check it out and see if you can get a better model from the rip.

Thank you.

Jianmin

R.Y.O

Postby R.Y.O » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Here is a picture how my models look in 3dsmax after ripping and deleting the extra stuff.

You can see clearly what i mean with "holes". I tried to set NullDC on triangle sorting, but then the ripping and importing takes a very long time and i can`t find all the extra stuff in 3dsmax. So the the "center button" won`t work and i don`t even find my ripped Model in this mess of Polygons and textures. Damn i think i`ll have to read a few 3ds beginner Guides.

R.Y.O

Postby dotsona » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 am

Sometimes you have to rip multiple times to get a full model, try doing the capture from different angles.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 pm

That's how like all of my tries in 3ds looked like. I thought it was just me who is way too dumb for 3ds. To be honest i have given up on trying to rip character models as i hoped either yazgoo would come up with a new app or someone posts some ripped chars. Shenmue 1 models don't have the "random holes and ultra low poly" bug but they suffer from the whole back missing due to backface culling issues.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby R.Y.O » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Hehe Master Kyodai, good to hear i am not the only one. I`ll try it now with maya and the obj import function from 3D Ripper DX. Maybe that will work better, i dont know.

It would be cool to create objekts from shenmue for sims 3. Then my girlfriend could build the hazuki residence, man mo tempel or something like that in Sims. But i think thats far away from my skills yet.

Anyway, i`ll keep trying.

Edit: OK maya and OBJ was a bad idea, its too complicated for me to get the textures in the right place.

R.Y.O

Postby dotsona » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:09 pm

I never had much trouble in max when it came to ripping character models, most of the time I would get a full model. What version of max are you using? Also make sure you have all those check boxes in 3d ripper turned off.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby R.Y.O » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:21 pm

dotsona wrote:I never had much trouble in max when it came to ripping character models, most of the time I would get a full model. What version of max are you using? Also make sure you have all those check boxes in 3d ripper turned off.

Max 7 as in your Video, the check boxes are all unchecked. I tried to check "capture all texture" before with no difference.

I just found out my Direct X wasn`t updated, but since i done that my models look worse than before after ripping. I even tried the demul emulator with d3d Plugin with no better result.

Now i`ll check my visual c++ files. I am getting a little bit clueless.

Oh, and i have another noob question. My render window in max disapeared. When i click "render" nothing shows up. How do i get it back ? I probably moved it accidentally somewhere.

Edit:

This is what it looks like when i rip from Shenmue 1. This is not a half Model, This is total crap.

I am desparate now. My last idea is to format c:, install the latest DirectX and other tools, then try again with a clean system. If that`s not gonna work i´ll have to give up on the model ripping stuff. :cry:

R.Y.O

Return to Community Projects