Why Is Shenmue So Special?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Why Is Shenmue So Special?

Postby Mr.Jigen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:09 am

I am beginning production on quite a large video called "Why Is Shenmue So Special?". This video will go through and analyze many story and gameplay elements, along with audio, visuals and atmosphere contained within the game to describe what gives the game it's special charm or, the reason it has such a lasting impact.

What I ask of you all here is to share opinions, while a lot of this large what will possibly become a feature-length production will include are my own perspectives on this matter however, I want your perspectives as well. I want to know the things that make the game so inherently special to all of you from a thematic or mechanical perspective, these ideas will be discussed in this production to make a truly marvelous video.

Please share what you feel in this thread, I will post further updates on production and may ask for additional assistance in the future, thank you.
Last edited by Mr.Jigen on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Why Is Shenmue So Special?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 am

It was the equivalent of handing an iPhone to a caveman. But honestly one of the things that gripped me so much was a completely different look at Japan. Up until then all I'd seen was either the samurai type shit from the feudal years and the almost cyber punk-esque style of Tokyo. 1980s Yokosuka just looked... "normal". It was a hell of a lot more relatable than any setting I'd seen on a game. Even more so than GTA III when it came out. Gettin told off for stayin out late, nippin to the market street to go to the shops, hoppin on the bus, goin to work at a regular job, all of it felt much more compelling to me than the almost montage-like "best of" approach that games, films, etc tend to take.

By living each day as it came rather than segue from cut scene to action set piece was the most immersive experience I'd ever had at that point so I felt engaged on an almost astronomical level. It's everything I never expected a video game could do on my lifetime, and as with a lot of people on here it had a huge influence on my life as a whole. It truly resonated with me in a way I assume it does for a lot of fellow Mancs, Englishman, and I suppose Brits in general. The scrotes tryna kick off in the park, shit weather, the drab greys... the only things I found ridiculously unrealistic in that first game was the fact you couldn't eat and that the busses came on time (though I've since found out that it's kinda the norm in Japan)

Also the graphics n music were pretty fuckin mint n'all.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Mr.Jigen
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby badamn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am

It's also special becuase it was a game that Sega bet the whole farm on to stay in the hardware business.
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 pm

In the grand scheme of things, Shenmue was one of those wish scenarios of what if a talented game designer was given basically a blank cheque to do whatever he wanted for as long as he deemed necessary for a sole game project. Thus came Shenmue, a dream come true for any young videogame enthusiast like myself at the time looking for the most immersive gaming experience they could get their hands on. That itself is special because looking forward, how many more insanely high budget and ahead of its time games like Shenmue was in 1999 will we even have from now on, specially without the strings of having to inflate them with live service and microtransactions?

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Mr.Jigen
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 pm

sand4fish wrote: In the grand scheme of things, Shenmue was one of those wish scenarios of what if a talented game designer was given basically a blank cheque to do whatever he wanted for as long as he deemed necessary for a sole game project. Thus came Shenmue, a dream come true for any young videogame enthusiast like myself at the time looking for the most immersive gaming experience they could get their hands on. That itself is special because looking forward, how many more insanely high budget and ahead of its time games like Shenmue was in 1999 will we even have from now on, specially without the strings of having to inflate them with live service and microtransactions?

Only thing like that recently is Death Stranding, thanks for the reply I will do my best to include your thoughts.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Currently playing: Shenmue

Return to Community Projects