Name of Shenhua's stepfather uncovered?

(Chapters 3-6)

Name of Shenhua's stepfather uncovered?

Postby LanDC » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:43 pm

After giving closer observation of the letter from Shenhua's mysterious stepfather (through it's texture), which is found at the end of Shenmue II, it became clear that a signature is actually provided at the end of the letter. Apparently, the name of Shenhua's stepfather is Zhongshou Yuan (given name first). Since his name is never mentioned, nor is the player able to obtain a well enough view of the letter in the game, this information comes completely new to us. However, keep in mind that we cannot positively confirm whether this is to be the final name or not.

Unfortunately, the name doesn't give us any specific leads to anything like character relations, but it's still important information. If I had to guess, I'd say that his name will be pointed out soon after the beginning of Shenmue III, as Zhongshou will definitely be brought up after the current events. And as we know, a fairly large amount past Shenmue II has already been designed, so it's not really a surprise that his name can be found on the letter in Shenmue II. But remember, like I said, we can't be 100% positive that Zhongshou Yuan will end up being the final name, though the chances are rather high.

A special thanks goes to Kiyuu for the translation.
Last edited by LanDC on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Miles Prower » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:14 pm

Awesome find, Lan ^_^
This is very interesting indeed
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Julio III » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:18 pm

i almost missed this thread as it was an announcement - which is wierd.

anyway, intresting find, the name seems strangely familiar, although i think that is only because there are similar names in the game

although this find is interesting, i don't think it has much bearing for further investigation or shed light on any possible story hints for future games does it?
Julio III
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LanDC » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:21 pm

It just brings the desire to play Shenmue III back full force, doesn't it?

Julio III wrote:although this find is interesting, i don't think it has much bearing for further investigation or shed light on any possible story hints for future games does it?

Probably not. But still, Shenhua's stepfather has always been a very mysterious character, so information such as this is very noteworthy.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:24 pm

wow,nice find Lan!!very interesting
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby xatruio » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:51 pm

not really, Lan. I am kind of getting sick of waiting and tired of Shenmue [not exactly tired of it, i love, but i explaine d it to Porkchop better on AIM...ask him if he feels like relaying the info or wait for me to not be to angry /lazy]. I am in the 3rd disc of I and haven't played it for at least a month just ouit of my opinions towards Shenmue [the ones Pork knows about].

This new information doesn't do anything for me to want to keep on playing through Shenmue I/II again. Maybe ill just finished Shenmue I so the 2 disc completion wasn't a waste ann then think gonna finish off my season in NFL 2K2 before putting away Dreamcast for a long time. Play some of my dusty NES and GEN games for a change
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:00 pm

Interesting discovery, to say the least. It's too bad we can't get any more info than a name :(

I'm also somewhat puzzled why he signed his full name to his stepdaughter :P
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Julio III » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:10 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:Interesting discovery, to say the least. It's too bad we can't get any more info than a name :(

well maybe she addressed him by name instead of calling him "dad" since he was his step-dad. Anyway, i just wrote a letter to my mum, and on the inside of course wrote "mum" but on the envelope i wrote her full name. So for similar reasons he probably signed off with his full name
Julio III
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LanDC » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:28 am

Julio III wrote:well maybe she addressed him by name instead of calling him "dad" since he was his step-dad. Anyway, i just wrote a letter to my mum, and on the inside of course wrote "mum" but on the envelope i wrote her full name. So for similar reasons he probably signed off with his full name

That sounds possible. But, when entering the Stonepit, she calls for "Father." That doesn't exactly rule out your theory, though. It could just depend on the situation at hand.

Another theory is that Zhongshou expected someone else to be there while it's read. Afterall, he tells Shenhua to "go with the one who holds the Phoenix" (Ryo) in the letter, so he counted on Ryo being there. So I guess the letter is somewhat meant for both Shenhua and Ryo.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Name of Shenhua's stepfather uncovered?

Postby Kiyuu » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:33 am

LanDC wrote:A special thanks goes to Kiyuu for the translation.

My pleasure! I hope the Chinese pronunciation is correct, as there's no other way
for me but depending on a Chinese dictionary.

Anyway, finding out his name is meaningful, I guess. Good job, LanDC, as always! :D
But, isn't it strange the letter can't be found anywhere once Shenhua's read it?

Lan Di-sama wrote:Interesting discovery, to say the least. It's too bad we can't get any more info than a name :(

Yes, it's too formal for a letter to his daughter. He might have been expected someone
other than Shenhua to read it? :?

Added: Oops! LanDC just beat me! ;)
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Shenmue_Saga » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:32 am

Nice find again LanDC, yeah it's a bit strange we don't don't have much info about the name and when we are walking with Shenhua and we ask about her father, she never mention her father's name...
Shenmue_Saga
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: GM-Shenmue
XBL: GM Shenmue
Steam: gmshenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:14 pm

Shenmue_Saga wrote:Nice find again LanDC, yeah it's a bit strange we don't don't have much info about the name and when we are walking with Shenhua and we ask about her father, she never mention her father's name...

I guess it's just in Shenhua's nature to be polite and just call him "Father"...
For example we have never heard Ryo refer to his father as Iwao.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:09 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the letter addressed to Shenhua, though? I thought it started out as "My dearest Shenhua..." or something of that sort. Althought it is a logical explanation that he signed his full name because he knew someone else would be reading it as well (Ryo).
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spokane » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:19 pm

Good detective work, things like this are what keep me comin back.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Supa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:51 pm

Nice work
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"