A new glitch discovered in Shenmue II!

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby Axm » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Nice glitch Lan. Kinda like the harbor glitch in S1. Ill make sure to try this next time I play.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Jacob Marley » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:28 pm

SPeaking of Shenmue II glitches, has anyone ever gotten "Stuck" in the Tomato Store?
I did once. I kept hearing the sliding door opening constantly while I was talking to Izumi and scanning the item selections. When I turned to head out, I noticed that there was an NPC townsperson wedged in the door followed by a line of something like 6 other people behind him(!!!). None of them would move, so I was essentially stuck inside the store and unable to leave.
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Joey Bassist Dude » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:18 pm

haha i've had that before but after a few careful rams into the que leader and then going into the furthermost corner was able to sneak out contortionist style after the que had shifted a little :lol: i can jsut image someone having to do that in real life :lol:
Joey Bassist Dude
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:38 pm

I've never been stuck, but I think I got the TMC jammed up before. This new glitch sounds really interesting. I still have'nt tried that harbor glitch in Shenmue I, so I'm working on that one too.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby LanDC » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:55 pm

JOEY wrote:were you jsut assin' around or are you onto something really cool?

Hmm, I guess that's 50/50. ;)

I just thought about something earlier... Does everyone remember how big of a deal that "bag stickers" glitch used to be? Ha, that was a piece of cake compared to this! How a glitch this large, not being very hard to get, can go unnoticed for over 3 years is amazing.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Joey Bassist Dude » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:59 pm

hey i was quite new during the bag sticker incident, so you managed to work out how to get the stickers huh? let me kno if its possable without modding please :)
Joey Bassist Dude
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:04 pm

JOEY wrote:hey i was quite new during the bag sticker incident, so you managed to work out how to get the stickers huh? let me kno if its possable without modding please :)

No. Actually, I was never able to invoke that glitch. That's one reason I was shocked that it had been discovered before, while this one hadn't.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Re: A new glitch discovered in Shenmue II!

Postby landi vs ren » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:16 pm

LanDC wrote:Would you like to walk around as an invisible Ryo? Well, with this new glitch I discovered in Shenmue II, which makes Ryo's model disappear, you can! :P

What you'll need to do is position Ryo close to a shop sign or any sign that can be locked onto. Then, as someone you can talk with comes near and the mouth icon appears over the A button icon, quickly try to lock-on to the sign and press the A button simultaneously. When you do, the game will think you're trying to do both tasks at once. You'll notice how Ryo says the shop name while speaking to the character. Once you've finished the conversation with the character, you'll return to the game, but with no Ryo in sight, as his model is still gone from thinking you're locked onto the sign. This means you can't open your notebook, inventory window or anything like that. Pressing the B button will close out the "locked on" item and send Ryo's model back to normal play.

Other than just being interesting to walk around invisibly, you can also bypass loading areas in this state. As you can see in my video below, I try walking into the Former Barracks, but instead of loading, I just keep walking. In doing this, you can walk back far enough to enter forbidden areas, or better known as "walk through walls." The only bad thing about this, though, is Shenmue II's gameplay system won't allow free walking in forbidden areas like Shenmue I's does, meaning you'll be running in-place after a while. If you want to walk around off-map or something like that, the only way to force Ryo to keep pressing forward is to rapidly press the UP button on the D-pad. He will slowly but surely inch further and further out.

If you'd like to see a short clip of me performing this trick in the Thousand White Qr, CLICK HERE to download!

Just one thing to say how does it bypass loading areas why do they put them in if you don't need them.
landi vs ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby VGAce » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:03 pm

landi vs ren wrote:
LanDC wrote:Would you like to walk around as an invisible Ryo? Well, with this new glitch I discovered in Shenmue II, which makes Ryo's model disappear, you can! :P

What you'll need to do is position Ryo close to a shop sign or any sign that can be locked onto. Then, as someone you can talk with comes near and the mouth icon appears over the A button icon, quickly try to lock-on to the sign and press the A button simultaneously. When you do, the game will think you're trying to do both tasks at once. You'll notice how Ryo says the shop name while speaking to the character. Once you've finished the conversation with the character, you'll return to the game, but with no Ryo in sight, as his model is still gone from thinking you're locked onto the sign. This means you can't open your notebook, inventory window or anything like that. Pressing the B button will close out the "locked on" item and send Ryo's model back to normal play.

Other than just being interesting to walk around invisibly, you can also bypass loading areas in this state. As you can see in my video below, I try walking into the Former Barracks, but instead of loading, I just keep walking. In doing this, you can walk back far enough to enter forbidden areas, or better known as "walk through walls." The only bad thing about this, though, is Shenmue II's gameplay system won't allow free walking in forbidden areas like Shenmue I's does, meaning you'll be running in-place after a while. If you want to walk around off-map or something like that, the only way to force Ryo to keep pressing forward is to rapidly press the UP button on the D-pad. He will slowly but surely inch further and further out.

If you'd like to see a short clip of me performing this trick in the Thousand White Qr, CLICK HERE to download!

Just one thing to say how does it bypass loading areas why do they put them in if you don't need them.

I think what he meant was how the camera stops in place for a few moments when entering the end of an area, then the loading screen appears to signify entrance into the new area (and of course, loads it). By bypassing the loading screen, you can walk all you want around the "exit" of an area without actually entering the next area. Is this right, Lan?
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Supa » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:19 pm

I've gotten stuck in the Tomato Mart before. So little, it' s annoying!This glitch is awesome though! It could lead to new and exciting discoveries!Ih, and refresh my mind, how does the harbor glitch work again?And the Ryo in air trick in SI that Kiyuu did?Not by the steps, but he was IN THE AIR above everything else.

lan di vs ren, you need loading screens to load the NOCs, and all the buildings. For example, if you' re about to enter the Golden Quarter while in the Green Market Quarter, the olden Quarter buildings won' t be very deteiled.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:40 pm

wow nice find Lan!i need to try this out someday,its been said but its amazing how we can discover new things in shenmue
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby JoeMDesign » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:42 pm

Nice find.

Blimey! Looks like the supernatural powers you see in the Shenmue Online trailer AREN'T that far-fetched after all!

Joy: "Hey just disappeared!... It's a Ghost Ryo!"

--

Think we'll be having some fun with this little bug. :D Thank you, God of Shenmue Dojo (a.k.a. LanDC)
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby remote ctrl soul » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:29 am

would this work for the first shenmue?
remote ctrl soul
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:49 am

LanDC wrote:Hmm... here, look at this! Here's a video of me doing the trick on the Dreamcast version (European, but it shouldn't matter). Try it exactly like I did here. Make sure you're still in the position to talk to the person as you quickly pull the trigger assigned to zoom in. About a millisecond after the camera is close enough to begin locking on the sign, tap the A button. I'm sure it'll work for you, so give it a couple of tries to make perfection.

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetxbox/shenmuedojo/modclips/trick.zip

This is great! The game just began, but since you can pass the flag at King's Road that disables you from going further before retreiving your bag, you can go on past King's Road before even having your bag stolen. In this video, I use the trick at the General Store with the little girl out in front. I then go past King's Road invisibly, then turn back visible to enter the Green Market Qr (see him standing up after talking to the little girl? :P). Then, I went to the South Carmain Qr and sparred with Jianmin while still wearing the bag! I did this once through modding a while back, but now anyone can do it. Ryo will actually fight without using his left arm while wearing the bag!
Oh, and by the way, the reason I still had my bag on at the General Store is because I already did the trick once back at the old man's pigeon food shop earlier, which allowed me to skip the first scene with Wong.

I'm sure there's a nice variation of ways we could alter the game with this little trick. :D

Thanks to your thorough instruction, I was able to enjoy the glitch myself!! :D

After loads of failure, I found the easiest spot to trigger this glitch for me.
There's a sign on the right hand side of May of Fu Hoi Diner. My Ryo stands
in front of that sign, kind of behind May. After getting the knack there, I could
do it with some other people too, including the girl at the General Store and
the old man at the Pigeon Feed stand. Still, May is the best partner for me! ;)

At first, I didn't know how to proceed after crossed the load point, but I finally
found I have to go back to the game in the new area and try to go back to the
area I just came from, so that the game loads the new area and I can go on.

Thus, I can spar with Jianmin with the bag or talk with Joy without the bag!! :lol:

Also, I was able to meet Delin in the Fortune's Pier while I was still looking for
Wong to get back the stolen bag. 8)
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby LanDC » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:17 am

Kiyuu wrote:Thanks to your thorough instruction, I was able to enjoy the glitch myself!! :D

Wonderful! Nice report. 8)

That's a funny picture. It looks like Ryo's finally had enough and has decided to raise his fist to a lady. :lol:

Kiyuu wrote:After loads of failure, I found the easiest spot to trigger this glitch for me. There's a sign on the right hand side of May of Fu Hoi Diner. My Ryo stands in front of that sign, kind of behind May. After getting the knack there, I could do it with some other people too, including the girl at the General Store and the old man at the Pigeon Feed stand. Still, May is the best partner for me! ;)

Yeah, the Fu Hoi Diner is a nice spot to perform this glitch. But fortunately, this glitch can be done almost anywhere there's a sign. As long as someone comes nearby when you're in close range of a lock-onable sign, you're good to go. And in Shenmue II, there are many stores with shopkeepers and signs right easily in front of you. :D Exercise diligent training so that you may become a master of the glitch!

Kiyuu wrote:Also, I was able to meet Delin in the Fortune's Pier while I was still looking for Wong to get back the stolen bag. 8)

That's nice. It's also a great way to push yourself ahead in the game quicker if you're just wanting to reach a specific scene for a certain reason.

VGAce wrote:I think what he meant was how the camera stops in place for a few moments when entering the end of an area, then the loading screen appears to signify entrance into the new area (and of course, loads it). By bypassing the loading screen, you can walk all you want around the "exit" of an area without actually entering the next area. Is this right, Lan?

Heh, thanks for the translation attempt.

Yes, that's correct. You can keep walking without entering the following area. But that's as long as Ryo is invisible. If you're past the normal loading point and you relinquish the state of invisibility, then like Kiyuu said, when walking back from which you came, the game will still load the area as normal.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II