Baihu's role in the Shenmue series

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby Axm » Fri May 27, 2005 10:10 pm

Some enlightening information. Good job LanDC and others!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Joe Pesci » Fri May 27, 2005 11:44 pm

LanDC wrote:Dou Niu was? :? When? You shouldn't consider the rooftop fight a street fight.

Well, in my opinion it is basically a street fight even though it is very important as was the 70 man battle.

LanDC wrote:There's no 100% concrete explanation as to why they're down there, but I'm sure I'm right.

I am not discrediting your knowledge of Shenmue because I do know how much you know about the game. I guess you could be right, you could be wrong. How long they are stalling for Shenmue III they can make Ren into a woman by then. ;)
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby LanDC » Fri May 27, 2005 11:56 pm

Joe Pesci wrote:Well, in my opinion it is basically a street fight even though it is very important as was the 70 man battle.

I know what you're saying. I mean it's just not the same type of street fight that people like Baihu, Greg, Rod and Chunyan take place in. People decide to challenge them for money.

Joe Pesci wrote:How long they are stalling for Shenmue III they can make Ren into a woman by then. ;)

Really. Yu Suzuki has probably even forgotten what gender Baihu is by this point. :P That's why I said earlier I couldn't be 100% that Baihu wouldn't return, because nothing's stopping the creators from bringing him back somehow if they really got the desire to. Just if they stick with the current story, I don't think that'll happen.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby B-Man » Sat May 28, 2005 12:25 am

Nice job, Lan. That's what I always thought, and now you've basically proven it. I never felt that there was any real significance to Baihu, or that we would ever see him again.

As for his line about remembering Ryo's name....

LanDC wrote:There's a simple explanation to that line... Baihu is obviously a skilled street fighter who doesn't know what it means to be defeated. So to actually fall hard to Ryo's hands, he admits his defeat like a real man and gives a show of respect. Simple. Basically, I think he means, "Your name is worthy of remembering." You know, it doesn't have to mean, "Arrghh... I'll remember that name when I come for you!" or else that'd mean we'll see Rod Stunt again too. ;-) Oh my gosh!!!! Rod Stunt told me, "Next time, you're gonna lose!" I definitely think we'll see him take his revenge in Shenmue III! ....Seriously now, I think some people just want to believe so badly that he'll return, they speculate too deeply about simple things.

Yes, exactly! That's exactly what I've always thought. I've never, ever felt that that line had any significance whatsoever, other than what you said. It is simply a sign of respect for Ryo and his fighting skill. He is not used to defeat, as proven by the shock he exhibited the second time he had his ass handed to him by Ryo. At the end of the fight, he knew thay he had finally lost, and he truly respected Ryo for it. Thus, he will never forget the name of the man who defeated him. It was always so obvious to me by the way he said it, that I find it hard to understand how so many people can read so much into it. In fact, I've always felt that the line was actually a confirmation that we would not see him again. To me, saying that he would remember his name insinuated that even though they would probably never cross paths again, he would never forget him.

I also feel that the line was put in there to show how far Ryo has come in his training. Back when Ryo still lived at home, common thugs and street punks already feared him and his name. But now, he is truly making a name for himself. He is earning a reputation as a great warrior among some of China's toughest fighters. He is travelling the world and garnering respect and fear for the Hazuki name, just as his father did before him. Immediately after that, he actually manages to defeat Dou Niu, finally learning to clear his mind like a polished mirror. This further cements just how much progress he has made since the beginning of the series. He is no longer just some kid from the neighborhood who knows some martial arts.

I will say this, however. It was a mistake for them to give Baihu the Tiger Swallow style. I've always believed, and still do, that he merely has that style because Yu Suzuki wanted us to be able to fight a Lau Chan clone without having to wait until the end of the series to fight Lan Di. I don't think that there is any real significance to it. However, this sort of contradicts the storyline and it was bound to stir up speculation from fans about him somehow being connected to Lan Di. It was a lapse in judgment by the creators of the game and a very rare instance of sloppy storytelling in a Shenmue game.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RyoHazuki1987 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:38 pm

LanDc, great info as always and thanks for clearing up who Baihu is.
RyoHazuki1987
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Supa » Sun May 29, 2005 8:51 pm

Does anyone notice that if you look down at Baihu when you are above him that he is battling one of the poison brothers? *

*it' s just his model, but still
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Joe Pesci » Mon May 30, 2005 4:36 pm

Yes, that could actually be a hint that Baihu is just a street fighter. Why would such a Master important Chiyoumen member be fighting some reandom character model? We will never find out if Baihu was meant to come back or not until or if Shenmue III is released.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Miles Prower » Mon May 30, 2005 4:54 pm

That raises an interesing point...were Du Hao Hui (the Poison Bro fighting him) and the guy fighting Baihu before that, trying to join the Chi You Men?
This is assuming that the scout planned to take Ryo to fight Baihu, and that Baihu is the final test for those wishing to join the Chi You Men...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spawn » Mon May 30, 2005 5:24 pm

Miles Prower wrote:That raises an interesing point...were Du Hao Hui (the Poison Bro fighting him) and the guy fighting Baihu before that, trying to join the Chi You Men?
This is assuming that the scout planned to take Ryo to fight Baihu, and that Baihu is the final test for those wishing to join the Chi You Men...

If i remember rightly doesn't the scout instruct Ryo to go to the room at the end of the corridoor( or where ever he tells you to go), and if you listen to him you find yourself confronting Dou niu and a bunch of his thugs.....this would prove he was not taking Ryo to fight Baihu, and it was just a simple trap. That is if I remember all of this clearly, I have not played that section of the game in a while.
Spawn
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Miles Prower » Mon May 30, 2005 6:06 pm

Lea-san wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:That raises an interesing point...were Du Hao Hui (the Poison Bro fighting him) and the guy fighting Baihu before that, trying to join the Chi You Men?

If i remember rightly doesn't the scout instruct Ryo to go to the room at the end of the corridoor( or where ever he tells you to go), and if you listen to him you find yourself confronting Dou niu and a bunch of his thugs.....this would prove he was not taking Ryo to fight Baihu, and it was just a simple trap. That is if I remember all of this clearly, I have not played that section of the game in a while.

No...I don't think so...I don't think it'd be a trap. Kai (the "blind" musician) said the scout tries to find skilled fighters to send off to the Chi You Men, and it would seem that what he had intended for Ryo. The scout probably didn't know about all the trouble Ryo had caused for Dou Niu, heh. Had it been someone else, I believe Dou Niu would have simply taken them to Baihu, the scout probably still accompanying them (I reckon the scout would have probably shown Ryo the way to the room if Ren hadn't knocked him out) After all, the elevators that go down to Baihu's arena are very close to that room (with the wire fence blocking the way, presumably Dou Niu would unlock the door).
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Joe Pesci » Mon May 30, 2005 7:51 pm

Lea-san wrote:

No, you aare not remembering correctly. It is not the scout who instructs Ryo, it is the shop keeper that Ryo and Ren beat up to find Yuanda Zhu. This is actually much earlier before you first meet the scout.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Supa » Mon May 30, 2005 10:54 pm

Joe Pesci wrote:
Lea-san wrote:

No, you aare not remembering correctly. It is not the scout who instructs Ryo, it is the shop keeper that Ryo and Ren beat up to find Yuanda Zhu. This is actually much earlier before you first meet the scout.
Yang? He instructs you to go to the Dancing Dragon Building. We are talking about Scout and the Thousand White and Yellow Head / Big Ox Building, and Underground.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Joe Pesci » Tue May 31, 2005 1:18 am

Yes, I know what we are talking about. I was stating that it is Yang that sends Ryo to the Dancing Dragon Building where Dou Niu is waiting for him in a trap. It is not the scout who does that as Lea-san thought.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Postby POIUYO » Tue May 31, 2005 2:41 pm

If you walk into the room with Dou Niu you are automatically killed. This shows the scout never intended Ryo to reach Baihu. I personally believe Baihu plays a part further on in the story. The scene just feels far too important.
As for Baihus fighting style I believe he may be related to Lan Di. Remember the Wulinshu book? The original Tiger Swallow style was passed down many branches of the family. I believe that the Zhao style retained all the true power and Baihus style lost the true essence.
Also I believe that Lan Di intends to replace Ziming with Baihu as the white tiger in the Chiyoumen hierarchy. I come to this as Ziming intended to destoy the orginazation from within for the death of his parents and Lan Di would do anything for the Chiyoumen as he is in a strong position to become the leader.
This is just my own little theory, what do you guys think?
POIUYO
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Joe Pesci » Tue May 31, 2005 4:50 pm

Ok, I see what you are saying about the scout. I must have just got the two stories mixed up. Yes, I have heard the theory before but I do not believe Lan Di knows of any betrayal. Maybe it is kind of like Star Wars, Ziming went to save his parents but got crossed over. If Baihu is involved in Shenmue III, I don't think he will have that large of a role.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II