Baihu's role in the Shenmue series

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri May 27, 2005 3:12 am

as you would have known if you read my post ;)
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby LanDC » Fri May 27, 2005 3:16 am

Miles Prower wrote:The only thing that irks me about Baihu, is how we are not allowed to know his age, something not mentioned in the original post. We are only told he was born on October 22nd, the year is not revealed. That just always struck me as somewhat odd.

I'd bet that it's just meant to enhance his cloud of mysteriousness. Making him such a mystery is a way to get players to notice the character, since he's not going to be infiltrating into any big role in the plot?
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Fri May 27, 2005 3:37 am

I've just noticed one thing, thanks to Miles' mentioning Baihu's birth date. ;)

"Shenmue II Perfect Guidebook" refers to Baihu as "a mysterious person
in the Tiger Gate Bldg." It seems the developers were using the name of
the building till the last minute. :)

As for his age, I guess Baihu is too shy to reveal it, who cannot show his face. :P
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby VGAce » Fri May 27, 2005 4:33 am

I'd estimate his age as anywhere from 30 to 45. Although he wears makeup, it's still obvious that he's not elderly, and he moves far too quickly and fluidly to be too aged. I doubt he's any younger than thirty just because of how skilled he is in the martial arts. It seems to me having that much skill, especially in a "lost" style, is not something a youngin' would possess.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FezMan88 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:38 am

Age doesn't really imply how well you can move. Remember that old guy in shenmue I who taught you the shadow step?

I think he'll be in shenmue III if it ever comes out, but as for his role, i dunno. I doubt he's Ziming, it just wouldn't make sense. Why would he be cast down to the depths of a basement as a street fighter? I can see a reason for him being in Kowloon, but his position wouldn't be a basement fighter.
FezMan88
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby DeadPool » Fri May 27, 2005 1:20 pm

FezMan88 wrote:Age doesn't really imply how well you can move. Remember that old guy in shenmue I who taught you the shadow step?

apparently youve never slept with an older women.
DeadPool
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Joe Pesci » Fri May 27, 2005 2:12 pm

LanDC wrote:From where do you receive your information? Baihu does not have his own group of black suits. Those guys were just posted at the Yellow Head Bldg. for the time being, apparently to shield the operation of Zhu's kidnapping from outside "visitors."

Why would he kidnap Joy then and have the suits look after her if they are not his? Why would he even kidnap Joy? Also, why does he have his own basement in such an important buidling?

LanDC wrote:There's a simple explanation to that line... Baihu is obviously a skilled street fighter who doesn't know what it means to be defeated. So to actually fall hard to Ryo's hands, he admits his defeat like a real man and gives a show of respect. Simple. Basically, I think he means, "Your name is worthy of remembering." You know, it doesn't have to mean, "Arrghh... I'll remember that name when I come for you!" or else that'd mean we'll see Rod Stunt again too. ;) Oh my gosh!!!! Rod Stunt told me, "Next time, you're gonna lose!" I definitely think we'll see him take his revenge in Shenmue III! ....Seriously now, I think some people just want to believe so badly that he'll return, they speculate too deeply about simple things.

I see your point but why did the designers give such a dramatic tone to his voice if it was not to be important later on? Also, I really don't care if he returns, just my opinions. About Rod Stunt, they didn't give nearly as serious a tone as they did Baihu when Ryo fights him and Baihu wasn't one of the recognized fighters from the scout.

LanDC wrote:If you'd look on the Wulinshu's chart, you'd see that there's a number of other instructors who could've tought Baihu.

Yes, I have seen it many times but I was merely pointing out that it was a lost art and if Baihu does have a role in Shenmue III it could be as the former pupil to Lan Di.

LanDC wrote:]Oh, and one last thing... Baihu is included with the rest of the casual street fighters in the Shenmue Collection. If he's so important, like say... Dou Niu, then how come Dou Niu is excluded from that collection? Is Dou Niu so unimportant in comparison to other characters like Greg, Rod and Chunyan that he's not added? Uh, no, I don't think so. It means that Dou Niu isn't included because he's important, while Baihu is included, as he's no different from the other street fighters featured in the collection. Here's yet another red flag that Baihu isn't so important. Sorry, but face it.

That doesn't prove anything. You don't give any reason why they wouldn't put Dou Niu in except that he is too important. Do you truly think we will see dou Niu in Shenmue III. Also, maybe Sega and Am2 just thought maybe the Baihu fight was fun and thought gamers would like to re-enact it whenever they want.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby LanDC » Fri May 27, 2005 4:04 pm

Tiger Gate Building Update: An interesting observation of Kiyuu's would suggest than an add-on building to the Thousand White Building is where the Tiger Gate Building was located. Meaning the Thousand White Bldg. wasn't once named Tiger Gate, but just originally featured the Tiger Gate as a secondary building. Please look at her topic for more information.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~shenmuedojo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24130

As you see in this picture, in the Thousand White Qr's map, I've outlined where the Thousand White Bldg. is in white, and outlined the add-on in orange, which is where the Tiger Gate Bldg. should be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Pesci wrote:Why would he kidnap Joy then and have the suits look after her if they are not his? Why would he even kidnap Joy? Also, why does he have his own basement in such an important buidling?

He never said he kidnapped her. Actually, he was busy participating in street fights, so how could he have? :P Don't you think the suits were the kidnappers? Yes, Baihu agrees that Joy will be released if Ryo can defeat him, but does that mean that he's responsible? Not in my book. If you ask me, it was just Baihu's way of getting Ryo into the ring.

As for his location, it looks like Baihu has relations with the Yellow Head. It doesn't mean he's a high-ranked member of their organization, or even a member at all.

Joe Pesci wrote:That doesn't prove anything. You don't give any reason why they wouldn't put Dou Niu in except that he is too important. Do you truly think we will see dou Niu in Shenmue III.

You're kidding, right? Are you telling me that Baihu's inclusion into the Shenmue Collection Battle, along with 10 other street fighters doesn't prove anything to you? This flag is more than red, it's glowing!

And no, I do not think we'll see Dou Niu in Shenmue III. Why are you asking? Are you trying to say that he's not important enough to be included in a list of street fighters? :? Surely you think he's more important than they are, don't you?

Joe Pesci wrote:Also, maybe Sega and Am2 just thought maybe the Baihu fight was fun and thought gamers would like to re-enact it whenever they want..

Then you tell me why all other non-street fighting characters are excluded from this list. What, would it not be fun to re-enact Dou Niu's fight again? Or what about other fights, like with the black suits on the 40th floor? Or what about the fight with Yuan? It's no coincidence that Baihu is included with the rest of the street fighters in the Collection. He's included because he's in the same league as they are. Nothing but a street fighter.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Miles Prower » Fri May 27, 2005 4:12 pm

Just to clarify, the black suits are definitely members of the Chi You Men (every single SII black suit is in the "Chi You Men" section of the SII Perfect Guidebook profiles). Of course, this does not necessarily mean Baihu is a member of the Chi You Men himself.
By the way, Baihu is not in the "Street Fighters" section of the profiles....not that it means anything...I agree with Lan, I think Baihu is just intended to be a regular street fighter. In the book, he is included in the section for characters who appear in specific events...
Heh I'm really rambling now. Hope I made sense ^^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Joe Pesci » Fri May 27, 2005 6:56 pm

It makes sense but why would some lowly street fighter have black suits guarding him and around him while he is fighting. If memory serves me correct, no other street fighter in the game has black suits except for Dou Niu.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Fri May 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Joe Pesci wrote:It makes sense but why would some lowly street fighter have black suits guarding him and around him while he is fighting. If memory serves me correct, no other street fighter in the game has black suits except for Dou Niu.

As I said before, those black suits were there for Zhu's capturing, to keep outside visitors out of the building. It just so happens there were some down there with him, I guess.

And by the way, Dou Niu isn't a street fighter.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BabyJesus* » Fri May 27, 2005 8:14 pm

I've just seen the first page of this topic and even though it may be a bit late, i'd like to compliment LanDC on hiw work - Its always top notch.
BabyJesus*
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Joe Pesci » Fri May 27, 2005 8:36 pm

LanDC wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:It makes sense but why would some lowly street fighter have black suits guarding him and around him while he is fighting. If memory serves me correct, no other street fighter in the game has black suits except for Dou Niu.

As I said before, those black suits were there for Zhu's capturing, to keep outside visitors out of the building. It just so happens there were some down there with him, I guess.

And by the way, Dou Niu isn't a street fighter.

I know, I was merely pointing out he was in a street fight. Well, if there is no explanation for those suits being down there then you could also be wrong?
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Fri May 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Joe Pesci wrote:I know, I was merely pointing out he was in a street fight.

Dou Niu was? :? When? You shouldn't consider the rooftop fight a street fight.

Joe Pesci wrote:Well, if there is no explanation for those suits being down there then you could also be wrong?

There's no 100% concrete explanation as to why they're down there, but I'm sure I'm right.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby mikec_ct » Fri May 27, 2005 9:43 pm

Nicely done!

This is, of course, what I thought all along, hehe

I don't see how anyone you defeat without much fanfare or backstory could have real significance to the story.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II