Just completed Shenmue 2!

(Chapters 3-6)

Just completed Shenmue 2!

Postby Thief » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:58 am

I just finished playing through Shenmue and Shenmue 2 and it was quite the experience. I cannot remember the last time I was that in to a game. Normally when I play through games I'll take breaks and hang out with friends and what not but that was not the case with Shenmue. People would call me and ask to hang out and I would respond, "I'd love to hang out but... I'd much rather play Shenmue... sorry *click*". Now that I've finished the game I've climbed out of my hole and have begun to run around telling all my friends how great it is. Of course, as soon as I tell them it's on the Dreamcast/Xbox they dismiss it as obsolete... bah ><. Since when are those consoles old? Anyways, I feel so alive.. and from a video game to boot... it's weird. I really want to go to Guilin!

I had one question though. Shenmue 1 is chapter 1 in the story, that makes sense to me. However, how is Shenmue 2 chapters 3 through 6? What happened to chapter 2? From what I gathered Yokosuka was chapter 1, Wan Chai/Aberdeen was chapter 2, Kowloon was chapter 3, and Guilin was chapter 4. While I don't question in the slightest that this sites information is correct in the chapters numbering, I am however curious as to why it's numbered the way it is. Anyways, I'm rambling, and tired. Great games... and oddly I really want to play them again... right now...
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Just completed Shenmue 2!

Postby Panda_rapist » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:03 am

chapter 2 was the boat chapter between yokosuka and hong kong but was removed, there is a small comic you can unlock in the xbox version about it
Panda_rapist

Postby Res » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Welcome. It's always cool to hear someone's reaction after playing Shenmue for the first time. It reminds me of my obsession when I initially played it.

As The GboyKing said, chapter 2 is not playing. You can find out more by reading this very recent post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41724

Hopefully, we'll get to play chapter 7 and beyond...........someday
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Fenix » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Hope the game will have very very very long 16 chapters.

You know... 1 chapter per game :)
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Ziming » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:14 am

Sure would be great to see new players experience the Shenmue games as you just described.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Heart Of Swords » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Ah this takes me back. I remember I was in my junior year of high school when I first got Shenmue for Christmas, and I didn't come out of my house for forever. Then, I eventually imported Shenmue II for the dreamcast and stayed home sick from school for like a week playing it until I beat it. :-D I also don't recall ever being that drawn into a game before. Like you said, usually I'm fine with taking breaks, talking to people, etc. But those first times playing SHenmue and Shenmue II made me a complete hermit.
Heart Of Swords
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby pno » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:08 pm

I remember getting Shenmue 2 off of my girlfriend at the time for Christmas and I spent hours on it on after the festive period had passed as I had family about and it was unsociable to play it with them there. I actually had a night where we went to bed after I promised I was gonna finish playing and get some sleep... I went to bed, led there for what seemed like aeons as all I wanted to do was see what happened next and then got up at 3 in the morning and started playing again. Didn't get to sleep again until my girlfriend got up for breakfast...

Oops.
pno
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Mario Galaxy 2

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:51 pm

I didn't set foot on school for more than a week when I got my hands on my first day bought Shenmue II.

Welcome Schmeman.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Axm » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Welcome to the Dojo!
Its great to see a new player come in and tell us how much they enjoyed it.
Just to get the chapters set strait with each of the locations..
Shenmue 1= Chapter 1
Boat= Chapter 2
Hong Kong= Chapter 3
Hong Kong= Chapter 4
Kowloon= Chapter 5
Guilin= Chapter 6

I think the split from Hong Kong into two seperate chapters happens probably around the time Ryo moves into Master Lishao Tao's apartment.

Sometimes it may seem like certain chapters are longer or shorter than others. This is because Yu Suzuki has purely seperated them based on location and Ryo's circumstances in the story.
If a remake of Shenmue 1 and 2 happen one day, id sure love to be able to play Chapter 2.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby joshdogging » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:38 am

after i completed shenmue 2 i was like wtf :shock: played for weeks and all i got was a lame ending
joshdogging
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Bluecast » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:57 am

joshdogging wrote:after i completed shenmue 2 i was like wtf :shock: played for weeks and all i got was a lame ending

Ending is fine,just that it's a cliffhanger.
Unless you suck and got the bad ending.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Thief » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:20 am

I really liked the ending to Shenmue 2. I think it was a great place to end the game. I don't however think it's a good place to end the series... c'mon Shenmue 3! I've only been waiting a couple weeks so I guess I shouldn't complain like those who've been waiting for 10 years. :P

It's kind of like The Empire Strikes Back without Return of the Jedi... and then no Thrawn Trilogy *gasp*
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LongsunZhao » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:40 am

Schmeman wrote:I really liked the ending to Shenmue 2. I think it was a great place to end the game. I don't however think it's a good place to end the series... c'mon Shenmue 3! I've only been waiting a couple weeks so I guess I shouldn't complain like those who've been waiting for 10 years. :P

It's kind of like The Empire Strikes Back without Return of the Jedi... and then no Thrawn Trilogy *gasp*

Lol, good analogy. Glad you enjoyed Shenmue. Your thread reassures me that players can still be hooked on Shenmue, given it's age. With the releases of Dreamcast games on the current gen systems, I hope to see this kinda reaction if/when Shenmue I & II gets ported to 360 or PS3. You count as one more fan closer to S3. Glad to have ya aboard! =D>

The first time I played Shenmue I played through it twice before going back to my routine life. The feeling you have about Shenmue 3 is the same feeling I had about Shenmue 2. My ending was when Ryo left for Hong Kong, and I had to wait years to continue the story. Game series' like Halo, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Phantasy Star, Uncharted, Final Fantasy, Baldur's Gate, and so on, all have had places in my gamer heart, but I forget about them as fast as I found them. Shenmue however, I can't seem to shake it from my subconscious. The quest for hunting down Lan Di is almost embedded in my DNA.
LongsunZhao
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Virtual On: OT

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Schmeman wrote:I really liked the ending to Shenmue 2. I think it was a great place to end the game. I don't however think it's a good place to end the series... c'mon Shenmue 3! I've only been waiting a couple weeks so I guess I shouldn't complain like those who've been waiting for 10 years. :P

Well of course Yu had no plans to end it there and wasn't a trilogy either. He had it planned to span six games at least.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby joshdogging » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:12 am

Ryudo wrote:
joshdogging wrote:after i completed shenmue 2 i was like wtf :shock: played for weeks and all i got was a lame ending

Ending is fine,just that it's a cliffhanger.
Unless you suck and got the bad ending.

what you talkin about dude....yes its a clifhanger but it still sucks ass....its just a lame pic of rio and shenfa.....why did'nt they put in some animation like the awsome intro
joshdogging
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Next

Return to Shenmue II