Shenmue DLC

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Shenmue DLC

Postby Yama » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:Thing is if Sega do bring them to XBLA and PSN then going by the last 4 titles they released its going to be a dissapointment with no graphics upgrades or any other updates for that matter. Hell it probably wont be full screen [-(

At the very least it'd allow VGA-like quality over HD for those poor saps who don't have VGA boxes for Dreamcast.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby 2ndOpp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:37 am

I think the bigger question is what achievements you'd look forward to? I can think of some that would be a pain in the ass to get, like:

* Collect all toys capsules
* Successfully enter the Duck race
2ndOpp
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:50 am

Should not have achievements. Beating a game is enough achievement. Don't want some retarded chime interrupting the experience breaking me out of the atmosphere. Like getting a chime while watching a film with a useless trophy YOU WATHED 25 MIN! Fucking retarded.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby 2ndOpp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:55 am

Yama wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote:Thing is if Sega do bring them to XBLA and PSN then going by the last 4 titles they released its going to be a dissapointment with no graphics upgrades or any other updates for that matter. Hell it probably wont be full screen [-(

At the very least it'd allow VGA-like quality over HD for those poor saps who don't have VGA boxes for Dreamcast.

Shenmue II already had wide screen mode on Original xbox didn't it? It says HDTV compatible on the back, but I can't remember if it just stretched it. All those features disappear when you try to play it in a 360... not to mention it's a crappy emulator and the sound drops out.
2ndOpp
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yama » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:40 am

2ndOpp wrote:
Yama wrote:

Shenmue II already had wide screen mode on Original xbox didn't it? It says HDTV compatible on the back, but I can't remember if it just stretched it. All those features disappear when you try to play it in a 360... not to mention it's a crappy emulator and the sound drops out.

Yes, though Shenmue II via VGA definitely looked better than Shenmue IIx via 480p. Despite some of Shenmue IIx's graphical upgrades, I found DC's colors to be richer and the game looked much sharper. Also Shenmue IIx never had widescreen.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:42 am

VGA is best with Grandia II. never give up my VGA :)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 am

2ndOpp wrote:I think the bigger question is what achievements you'd look forward to? I can think of some that would be a pain in the ass to get, like:

* Visit every room in every buidling - 100G

That way when people are doing it they can realise how pointless getting achivements are.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Ryudo wrote:Should not have achievements. Beating a game is enough achievement. Don't want some retarded chime interrupting the experience breaking me out of the atmosphere. Like getting a chime while watching a film with a useless trophy YOU WATHED 25 MIN! Fucking retarded.

You can switch the chime off and hide pop ups which is good cause 9 out of 10 devs allways leave them in the middle bottom of the screen. They should be forced to put them in one of the corners.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
2ndOpp wrote:I think the bigger question is what achievements you'd look forward to? I can think of some that would be a pain in the ass to get, like:

* Visit every room in every buidling - 100G

That way when people are doing it they can realise how pointless getting achivements are.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby darksniper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Achievements for a game like Shenmue would be a good thing. That will give the newer generation of gamers who are achievement whores and curious about Shenmue a reason to explore the Shenmue universe if done right. As far as the DLC is concerned, the only changes they should make is fast forwarding time in Shenmue I like they did in II. Everything else should remain the same.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Achievements have always been in Shenmue. But instead of console points, you got a special capsule toy.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Panda_rapist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:01 pm

damn, every time i see this kind of topic i think it's an announcement, ah well back to fapping
Panda_rapist

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Gboy wrote:damn, every time i see this kind of topic i think it's an announcement, ah well back to fapping

Haha sorry dude.
I can think of many movies that watching 25mins is definitely an achievement...

I kind of wouldn't want achievements unless they were all secret. Reason being is because my interest in Shenmue lies in the fact that the game feels endless because there is so much you won't see on your first play through.

Anyway, to be really honest. Fu*k next gen. I want shenmue 3 4 5 6 7 8 whatever all for dreamcast. That would be just amazing, however we might only get a 3 with all chapters.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Bluecast » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:21 pm

shengoro86 wrote:
Gboy wrote:damn, every time i see this kind of topic i think it's an announcement, ah well back to fapping

Haha sorry dude.
I can think of many movies that watching 25mins is definitely an achievement...

I kind of wouldn't want achievements unless they were all secret. Reason being is because my interest in Shenmue lies in the fact that the game feels endless because there is so much you won't see on your first play through.

Anyway, to be really honest. Fu*k next gen. I want shenmue 3 4 5 6 7 8 whatever all for dreamcast. That would be just amazing, however we might only get a 3 with all chapters.

You just responded to a person who was banned a month ago.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby VGAce » Sun May 01, 2011 1:41 am

Love the idea about developer commentary, it was an awesome feature in The Orange Box. Unfortunately, that's a real labor of love on the developer's part and I'm wondering if there are enough ex-AM2 employees who'd even be willing to take the time to record some commentary. Also wondering if they'd have anything interesting (read: new) to say. Fans have pretty thoroughly analyzed every aspect of the series at this point and volumes of background information have already been uncovered over the past decade. Of course, this is all just a pipe dream anyway, so not much point looking at the idea realistically.

I'd like to see a reimagined treatment of the two games that keep the original story intact but add additional elements to the story to freshen the whole experience up again. A good example of a game that did this well was the Resident Evil remake on GC. There are lots of questions in the underlying story that are never explicitly clarified in the games (and not just because we're not at a point in the series where we should know), and while most of these questions we already have the answers to through our own assumptions and research as fans, it'd be nice for the games to make it "official" with extra scenes and backstory. While this may seem like a whole new game rather than just DLC, consider some games that have done this subtly while remaining the same. Portal comes to mind, the ending of which was recently altered via Steam to open the door for Portal 2. Ports of previously exclusive titles often do this as well (to mixed results), keeping the core game intact but adding additional gameplay and story content. I think if done with a delicate touch, this could be a nice addition to the games we love. Just as long as they don't pull an M. Night Shyamalan and try to shock us all with a blatant out-from-left-field twist for the sole purpose of being twisty and shocking. Too much potential to upset the dedicated fanbase, and we've already faced enough upsets as it is.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II