Names pronounced differently in Shenmue 2 vs Shenmue.

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Names pronounced differently in Shenmue 2 vs Shenmue.

Postby zaneiken » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:55 am

SMDzero wrote: Wel how come Ryo introduces himself as "Ryo.. Ryo Hazuki" to the Chinese kid in Shenmue 1?

I thought we're specifically discussing the syntax of the Chinese names here.

Himuro wrote: In the English dub, they pronounce it Ajee-ichi like it's two words when it's Ajeeechi. The double means a longer i sound, not a break in the work.

Actually, they're not far off. If anything, it should be pronounced Ajee-eech, but quickly without that obvious separation that the English dub does.
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:25 am

I think it's handeled better in Shenmue II. It's confusing that they switched it around but it just makes more sense from a translation point of view where they gave us all the other names with "western orientation".

Also you gotta admit that "Zhao Longsun is Zhao Sunming's son" would sound rather strange.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 am

There's also an inconsistency in 1's dub. They call other characters last name first, but not Ryo, who is called Ryo Hazuki and not Hazuki Ryo. So when they say Tao Lishao, or Zhu Yuan Da, you end up thinking that's their first names first, but it isn't. The original dub was much worse off in terms of translation and internal consistency.

zaneiken wrote:
SMDzero wrote: Wel how come Ryo introduces himself as "Ryo.. Ryo Hazuki" to the Chinese kid in Shenmue 1?

I thought we're specifically discussing the syntax of the Chinese names here.

Himuro wrote: In the English dub, they pronounce it Ajee-ichi like it's two words when it's Ajeeechi. The double means a longer i sound, not a break in the work.

Actually, they're not far off. If anything, it should be pronounced Ajee-eech, but quickly without that obvious separation that the English dub does.

Right. It doesn't sound right, though.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Ceej » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:19 am

I always thought it was funny how in Shenmue I, Lan Di says "Do you remember Zhao Sun Ming?"

and then in Ryo's flashbacks in Shenmue II, he recalls Lan Di saying "Do you remember Sun Ming Zhao?"

I get why they did it but it's still funny.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:28 pm

A simple explanation- by standard translation convention, (not only in Shenmue but anything translated from JP/CH to ENG) while Japanese names are written in the original Japanese with the last name first, they are written with the first name first when translated to English, but this is not done with Chinese names translated to English.

The convention is not upheld in practice with the translation of Chinese names, even though Chinese follows the same name order as Japanese (last name, first name)

Notice how even us, we say Yu Suzuki, instead of Suzuki Yu...but, we never say or write Jinping Xi instead of Xi Jinping..or Yunfat Chow instead of Chow Yun Fat. Or Karwai Wong instead of Wong Kar Wai.

it's convention and context. Shenmue II really fucked it up by breaking consistency as well as disregarding standard cultural convention for translation.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue II