Shenmue II (PAL) for US Dreamcast - Can't Boot (Searched!!)

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Shenmue II (PAL) for US Dreamcast - Can't Boot (Searched

Postby Prodigy79 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Ok... so.. it's working now. Kinda...

I'm blessed enough to have a major classic game hub (eStarland) right near me - I went over and purchased all three of their Rev 0 Dreamcasts.

Long story as short as possible - I tried all three, one booted the game (a few times in a row, none-the-less).

I dissected the system, greased the GD-Rom tracks and cleaned it out... plugged all the cables back in, and it didn't boot the game...

After much tinkering and more dissection... it started working again.

Soo... drum roll... I strongly believe I narrowed the issue down to my VGA cable... It's really weird, because I've never had any issues with any other games, however when I loosen it just a touch, the game boots with no issues using every boot disc I tried (DC-IE, GameShark CDX and Action Replay CDX). When it's inserted all the way, and tight, it loops back to the home screen... When it's too loose, it gives me the 'now loading' screen, then goes to a screen with a video or sound error...

When I get it just right, though...

Code: Select all
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/theprodigy79/Random/20150802_215358_HDR.jpg

I'll re-test on my other three Dreamcasts to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

I really appreciate everyone's patience and help!
Last edited by Prodigy79 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prodigy79
Asia Travel Representative

Postby amiga1200 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:24 pm

^^ maybe worth checking the VGA cable plug, reads like a connection arcing/not fully meeting.
it also worth noting, some VGA cables are a bit iffy.
luckily, using a VGA box, and it's been a1+. (made in kent UK) [model: XK-DC2000 transparent plastic housing]
oh, the image isn't displaying my side, dojo is like that for some.
wrap it in a code board tag, thanks a lot. :P :mrgreen:
[code][/code]
i fuckin KNEW it was hardware related.
now it's confirmed.
i'm leaning on VGA cable as the suspect this side. (perhaps AV output socket on whatever casts are shitting out?) :-k
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Prodigy79 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Done deal with the image, weird that it didn't work (sorry about that).

I'll have to pick up a VGA box and give it a go!
Prodigy79

Postby amiga1200 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:59 pm

^^ yep, saw the big-ass screen, and ryo back facing. (dockside/open square by the looks of it?)
looks good! :mrgreen:
on the VGA cable/box, make sure you get from reputable stockists, or at least positive reviews on it.
there's something to be said for official, but some gems out there.
bottom line:
VGA circuitry done right, is the same output quality.
if you know of any cast users with VGA setups (even DVI) ask them DIRECT!
there's a 5v dc current passing out of the AV multi-output socket, and it self-powers the VGA cable/box.
just make sure there's NO shorts, ask around, get opinions in quadruplicate, and do home checks should you decide on one, BEFORE you plug the fucker in.
(should be gold really. you get what you pay for, but there's a line to be crossed when odds are involved.)
good luck, all the best! :king:
[edit]
this block of shit is the one i have: (with a bright as fuck industial grade power led.)
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/kDMAAOSwQJhUfTV7/$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-VGA-BOX-XK-DC2000-Boxed-For-Sega-Dreamcast-Import-JAPAN-Video-Game-2841-dc-/311198876882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4874e604d2
^^ disregard EGAY prices, look around...(there's alternatives, but i don't know of them personally.)
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby Prodigy79 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:37 pm

Yup, I've seen that one around (one of my friends had the same one).

I wonder why my cable is giving me issues with this game only - could it be because it's PAL?? I thought VGA is a standard format between countries, so not sure, but it's weird that I've never had this issue with US or JP games.

The only other VGA issue I've had was with Evolution: The World of Sacred Device, which claims to be VGA compatible but is not (however it supposedly works with the authentic Sega brand VGA box). I tricked it by plugging the cable in after the first spin of the game and never had any other issues.

Interesting stuff - I'll let you know the results when I pick up a VGA box!
Prodigy79

Postby amiga1200 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:47 pm

^^ it's possible you don't need a VGA box, you have a cable.
just seems faulty (or the suspect dreamcast AV sockets?) so you could try to repair it, or pass it to somebody qualified in basic electronics, don't waste it. (whatever you do, KEEP ET, unless you know of a good home for it, somebody who could possibly fix it and get good use...)
as for VGA/dvi, makes NO difference, it's an international standard. (don't worry, that part is fine. if you got a screen, says as much. focus on repairing it, and failing that, VGA box time.)
have fun! :P 8)
[edit]
SHIT!
jesus!
if you like your cast, NEVER unplug/plug AV cables or VGA kit in live, just don't, you'll fuck it up if not careful. :cry:
power off first if you need to swap/switch.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby Prodigy79 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Ok... my VGA logic may be flawed...

I can get the game to load occasionally, however once it's loaded I have been getting a lot of Data Read Errors...

This seems to be quite common for the PAL version of Shenmue II... as demonstrated by a simple Google search for "dreamcast data read error":

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dreamcast+data+read+error&start=10

I didn't even put "shenmue" in the search, yet the vast majority of the results are for Shenmue II PAL... I noticed that many reference Disk 3 - apparently my Disk 1 has some data issue (I, obviously, can't tell if the others do or not as of yet).

Kinda sucks, the disks are like new... my Dreamcast has NEVER had an issue playing any other game.
Prodigy79

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:20 pm

optical media at it's finest, full of bullshit we could do without. :roll:
not sure what ideas left, if you have an sd card reader for the serial socket, you could give this a bang and verify the disks? if they dump/verify, they're fine. (read subject)
if all else fails, you could try emulation on a computer, but it's not something i've looked into.
good luck! :mrgreen:
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48841
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to Shenmue II