Is this real?

(Chapters 3-6)

Is this real?

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:53 am

First off I like to point out, I can't play Shenmue at the moment, since my TV is dead(I tried DLing a emulator, but omfg do DC emulators suck to no end, I got multiple emulators to work parse, but they having graphics bugs so bad, the games are unplayable. Supposely the only Emulator that can play so Shenmue games, is NullDC, which I can't get any version of that POS, to even run properly/run the rom, so finally I just said screw it, I'm going to have to wait until I get a new TV, before I can play the Shenmue games again), so I'm going through withdrawal.

To attempt to make my Shenmue withdrawal less painful, I decided to watch some lets plays, one of which was a speed run(speed runs are so against the spirit of the Shenmue games, but due to how Shenmue was designed, speed runs of such are rather interesting). Now during this speed run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZD_eYDMG8k

when he does the event, where he's suppose to fight Xuiying, he keeps trying to grab her, which doing so evidently makes it so you don't get any cutscenes at all, but after such he mentions that if you do nothing/don't try to fight her at all, you'll get a different cutscene, then if you try to attack her like you're suppose to, is this true?

Also later on, he claims before the cave in Guilin, when you're running with Shenhua, needing to do all those QTEs, there's actually a failed scene, where according to him, basically the game implies Ryo, and Shenhua get eaten by wolves, is this true as well, is this yet another way for them to face a untimely demise(first I find out a tree can crush Senhua, which pretty much noone knew about that, and now evidently they can be eaten by wolves) ?

I really wish I could try these out myself sigh.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Is this real?

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 am

i do not recall an ending like this. Puri Puri knows his stuff though.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:08 pm

shengoro86 wrote: i do not recall an ending like this. Puri Puri knows his stuff though.

Ok, and yea so I gather.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:46 pm

I tried the Xiuying fight but no different cutscene appears.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby johnvivant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:56 pm

that leap frog debug animation is always hilarious.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I tried the Xiuying fight but no different cutscene appears.

Ok thanks.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Zoltor wrote: Xuiying, he keeps trying to grab her, which doing so evidently makes it so you don't get any cutscenes at all, but after such he mentions that if you do nothing/don't try to fight her at all, you'll get a different cutscene, then if you try to attack her like you're suppose to, is this true?

yes it is. don't attack and a cutscene will play where ryo fights for you, nothing special unfortunately.
Zoltor wrote:
Also later on, he claims before the cave in Guilin, when you're running with Shenhua, needing to do all those QTEs, there's actually a failed scene, where according to him, basically the game implies Ryo, and Shenhua get eaten by wolves, is this true as well

not true - bluemue recently did a whole video on failing and taking too long in guilin, there is nothing involving or implying being eaten by wolves.

phpBB [video]
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:20 pm

johnvivant wrote:
Zoltor wrote: Xuiying, he keeps trying to grab her, which doing so evidently makes it so you don't get any cutscenes at all, but after such he mentions that if you do nothing/don't try to fight her at all, you'll get a different cutscene, then if you try to attack her like you're suppose to, is this true?

yes it is. don't attack and a cutscene will play where ryo fights for you, nothing special unfortunately.
Zoltor wrote:
Also later on, he claims before the cave in Guilin, when you're running with Shenhua, needing to do all those QTEs, there's actually a failed scene, where according to him, basically the game implies Ryo, and Shenhua get eaten by wolves, is this true as well

not true - bluemue recently did a whole video on failing and taking too long in guilin, there is nothing involving or implying being eaten by wolves.

phpBB [video]

Ok, I knew Ryo supposedly fights for you, but I thought there might've been extra dialog from Xuiying along with that, oh well guess no need to screw around then, I'll just fight her normally like I always do, thanks.

No, that's the wrong section of the journey with Shenhua in Guilin(the falling tree crushing Shenhua event is suppose to take place after the cave, when you literally have control over Ryo, but choose to do more or less nothing). The one Puri is talking about, is suppose to be triggered by failing too many of the QTEs leading upto the cave, which ofcourse wastes time that way.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Zoltor wrote:No, that's the wrong section of the journey with Shenhua in Guilin(the falling tree crushing Shenhua event is suppose to take place after the cave, when you literally have control over Ryo, but choose to do more or less nothing). The one Puri is talking about, is suppose to be triggered by failing too many of the QTEs leading upto the cave, which ofcourse wastes time that way.

Did you watch the video? Read the description? The first three cutscenes are from failing too much during the QTEs. That thing about the wolves is nothing but complete BS. There isn't even a 3D model of a wolf in the game.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:46 pm

BlueMue wrote:
Zoltor wrote:No, that's the wrong section of the journey with Shenhua in Guilin(the falling tree crushing Shenhua event is suppose to take place after the cave, when you literally have control over Ryo, but choose to do more or less nothing). The one Puri is talking about, is suppose to be triggered by failing too many of the QTEs leading upto the cave, which ofcourse wastes time that way.

Did you watch the video? Read the description? The first three cutscenes are from failing too much during the QTEs. That thing about the wolves is nothing but complete BS. There isn't even a 3D model of a wolf in the game.

Ok this is the third time I watched this video, I guess the first 2 times, I never went to the actual Youtube page(I saw this on this site, and one of the replies stated it was triggered by standing around to long, guess that was wrong then). Ok looks like Puri was either completely wrong on this or he switched around the events by accident.

Do you know if you can get this same event of the tree crushing Shenhua after the cave, when you can free roam, then(perhaps nothing happens or some other event)?
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Zoltor wrote:Do you know if you can get this same event of the tree crushing Shenhua after the cave, when you can free roam, then(perhaps nothing happens or some other event)?

The cutscene with the tree happens after the cave and only then. It is not linked to the other ones because all of them are retry cutscenes. You have to go back and do better if you fail enough to see these.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:23 pm

BlueMue wrote:
Zoltor wrote:Do you know if you can get this same event of the tree crushing Shenhua after the cave, when you can free roam, then(perhaps nothing happens or some other event)?

The cutscene with the tree happens after the cave and only then. It is not linked to the other ones because all of them are retry cutscenes. You have to go back and do better if you fail enough to see these.

Ok, then before the cave. Oh ok, they're just standard retry cutscenes then, no special one like this tree event(technically is a retry event as well, just it makes you retry the whole day, and comes with a special cutscene).

Thanks for the clarification, looks like puri was outright wrong then/remembered the facts incorrectly(seeing how wolves are heard in this tree cutscene, it sounds like he forgot the entire tree part of the scene, and was more or less just filling in the blanks).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Shenmue II